Buying locally vs online

Jul 30, 2022
Scotland
Just looking for experiences with people buying a bike online. While I typically prefer to shop local, when looking at mountain bikes I can often find deals with discounts of £2-3k on £6-8k bikes, local shops tend to be full price. My other issue is the few local shops aren't selling the bikes I actually like.

My huge concern with an ebike is that motor repairability/fault aspect that manufacturers deem me not allowed to address myself.

I'd much prefer someone local who has my back, but the cost difference and dropping a huge amount of money on a bike I don't like looking at is really putting me at odds here. Has anyone bought online (e.g Tredz, Winstanley, CRC, etc) and have experience of getting motor/e-fault issues dealt with?

Additionally, does anyone have experiences with buying online but has a manufacturers third party "authorised repair" shop in their city? (e.g Canyon).

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I personally i would not buy online its to much hassle if something goes wrong
Go to a dealer you can stomach the travelling to get too
My local is 200miles round trip away for the bike that i wanted that i can manage if needed .

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Just looking for experiences with people buying a bike online. While I typically prefer to shop local, when looking at mountain bikes I can often find deals with discounts of £2-3k on £6-8k bikes, local shops tend to be full price. My other issue is the few local shops aren't selling the bikes I actually like.

My huge concern with an ebike is that motor repairability/fault aspect that manufacturers deem me not allowed to address myself.

I'd much prefer someone local who has my back, but the cost difference and dropping a huge amount of money on a bike I don't like looking at is really putting me at odds here. Has anyone bought online (e.g Tredz, Winstanley, CRC, etc) and have experience of getting motor/e-fault issues dealt with?

Additionally, does anyone have experiences with buying online but has a manufacturers third party "authorised repair" shop in their city? (e.g Canyon).
Any registered dealer will/should deal with a motor issue . You don't have to send it back to where you buy it from , just keep proof of purchase.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I have bought all my bikes from LBS. Components I usually by online but bikes and clothing from LBS, I appreciate the service. My Levo got new motor last autumn, after the warranty had expired, but I got it anyway under warranty. My Focus got new Bosch motor 1 and half years ago. Both were handled by LBS, Specialized in week and half and Bosch 5 weeks...
Next emtb will have Shimano motor, looking forward to see how fast the support from LBS is for Shimano :)
Ps. You can get good deals for Pivot and Santa Cruz now so check you LBS if you don't want to buy online.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have only bought one bike off the internet, as in it was delivered to me sight unseen in a box. It was a YT Capra and it came from Germany. They never once replied to any of my emails after it failed to turn up on time. But it was only a week late, although for that week, I thought I'd been scammed! I never had a moment's bother with it!

I have bought many other bikes sight unseen (after the usual research), but went to collect them from shops in the UK, so at least there was a chance to refuse them.

Only my very first mtb was bought by visiting an LBS and trying it out for size and chatting with a knowledgeable salesman. All others were chosen first and then I had to find out where to get one from.

@spleenexploded If this is your first emtb, I and many others would advise you to buy your first emtb from somewhere as local as you can. There is a lot of new stuff* to deal with and it is very comforting to have an expert not too far away.

Note* Motor, battery, charger, display, wiring, power modes, software, sensors, updates, apps, range anxiety, maintenance and cleaning.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
too many posts around the net of people getting fobbed off with issues by their local dealers.
like when their electrics/motor stops working properly.
oh bosch have to sent us a new battery, or a new led remote.
seriously???? what about the 50 bikes sat in the show room? you can't borrow an led remote? you don't even need to take it off a bike just put them really close together....

can't take a battery from a test bike? you have to wait for bosch to send one first? and then find out thats not the problem, that'll be another 2 weeks...
why would anyone have loyalty? no shops seem to go out of their way to help the customer anymore, it's just sales staff

My local place is expensive as hell too, if they priced matched online I'd be more likely to use them, they also don't stock a range of components just basic stuff and Bontrager junk.
so its not like I'm even helping keep someone convenient open.

there's 2 places near me that don't sell bikes they only service them, they charge far less than the bike shops do too...

thats where my loyalty should be

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
there's 2 places near me that don't sell bikes they only service them, they charge far less than the bike shops do too...

There is an LBS in the next town to me that I switched to from a much nearer place. I switched because they operated a booking system for servicing/repairs/whatever. I could drop the bike off on a specific day and it would be ready the following day or the day after. The previous guy just said "it'll be two weeks before I can look at it!" When I said I'll bring it back in two weeks he accused me of queue jumping!

My new LBS is brilliant, really brilliant. I became concerned that he wasn't charging enough. Let's face it, we want to keep the good ones. But I was in there last week and his shop looked quite different. He had decided to stop selling bikes and to focus on servicing. He could give up half the lease on his premises, saving money, and give extra space to the servicing area which is where the bulk of his earnings come from. The only spares he keeps in stock for casual sale now is standard stuff like brake pads, inner tubes, gear cables, lube and the like. He doesn't even sell clothing any more. Because he uses a booking system, he has time to get in any special spares and parts.
In addition, the servicing area is now the front of the shop, so someone is always there when a customer walks in.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m in Scotland and still buy my 90% of my bikes from my buddy in the US🤣😂 I get bikes at cost from him so even after shipping/customs fees I still save a good bit over what they cost here.

I did buy my e-bike in the UK though, got it from a shop down in London as they gave me the best price. I think with more and more brands going DTC you’ll start to see a lot of LBS shift to a components/gear/service only model.

I’ve had my Levo in my local Spesh dealer for the updates I couldn’t do myself, they had no issues with it and told me they’d handle any warranty issues when/if I need them.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I have always bought locally. LBS were a bit clueless when the first e-bikes came about, so was tech training from the Bike brands, this has evolved quite a bit in the last few years, make sure your local shop is able to service your bike properly, which they should. 👍

Last edited:

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK

My wife bought her Levo online from Tredz. The TCU developed a fault so I took it to the nearest specialized dealer to us which was Evan’s cycles and they dealt with it with no real dramas.

Didn’t have to contact Tredz at all.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Rutland Cycles in the UK will deal with warranty claims on any bike that they stock. But if you didn't buy it from them, they charge a standard £35 (might be more now). This compensates them for all the admin, wasted telephone calls chasing people up etc. No such charge if it's a big item like a motor. They will service/repair any bike.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Buying online or offline makes no difference,(except price is usually cheaper online) it all comes down to who knows, I mean REALLY knows how to fix it when/if needed. Good luck with that. 😎

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

I travelled 500 miles to get mine from Berkshire cycles . I don't have any decent lbs to be honest . Service I've had is fantastic. Send motor back get another in post a week later .

El Grifo

Apr 4, 2023
Islas Canarias
Mate just bought a 2022 model Trek online from a UK dealer.
When he checked it over he found that rather than the advertised Shimano brakes, it was fitted with little know brand Power brakes. He emailed the supplier but they simply threw him a deefy !!
I called TREK on his behalf. They said that after Covid, the supply chains were screwed so they fitted other equal brands like SRAM. They could not however recall ever using the Power brand. They also said rather disturbingly to check the T+C's where it is stated that components other than advertised can sometimes be fitted !
Firstly, has anyone heard of the brand Power. They have a really lousy website if you can find it and secondly, comments please on the situation !

Thanks !

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mate just bought a 2022 model Trek online from a UK dealer.
When he checked it over he found that rather than the advertised Shimano brakes, it was fitted with little know brand Power brakes. He emailed the supplier but they simply threw him a deefy !!
I called TREK on his behalf. They said that after Covid, the supply chains were screwed so they fitted other equal brands like SRAM. They could not however recall ever using the Power brand. They also said rather disturbingly to check the T+C's where it is stated that components other than advertised can sometimes be fitted !
Firstly, has anyone heard of the brand Power. They have a really lousy website if you can find it and secondly, comments please on the situation !

Thanks !
Lot of companies say the spec could be changed from what is advertised. I'm waiting for a bike the reviews mention praxis cranks carbon seatpost etc. Spec now is alloy seatpost and Miranda cranks.

El Grifo

Apr 4, 2023
Islas Canarias
Lot of companies say the spec could be changed from what is advertised. I'm waiting for a bike the reviews mention praxis cranks carbon seatpost etc. Spec now is alloy seatpost and Miranda cranks.
Power seems to be cheap Chinese brand found on the likes of Ali Express and the like.
Bad call for TREK to fit that rather than Shimano, a premium brand !!!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Power seems to be cheap Chinese brand found on the likes of Ali Express and the like.
Bad call for TREK to fit that rather than Shimano, a premium brand !!!
Yes agree. More stuff made in China than we realise I think ? . Taiwan build a lot of bike frames for the big players not far from China really is it .

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Looks to me like local dealer magic transformation... Me thinks your original brakes (whatever they were) are now fitted on someone else's bike. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I have found that retailers are more responsible when dealing face to face. If you have a problem and all they have to do is hang up on you, well, good luck with that. I bought my Kenevo from a shop that is 5 miles from my house and it has been there for more than 30 years. My advice, pick the shop and then pick the bike they sell.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
discounts of £2-3k on £6-8k bikes, local shops tend to be full price. My other issue is the few local shops aren't selling the bikes I actually like.

Sounds like an easy decision: Buy the bike you want. Don't buy from a store that only has bikes you don't want.

I suppose different cultures have different expectations for polite behavior. Negotiating a price for something like a bike is perfectly acceptable in the U.S., But I've got to say that a lot of younger folks are a bit unrefined and insulting in their technique. At least that's been my experience with FB Marketplace, Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. That's ok, they're young have plenty of time to develop their savior faire.

So anyway... If the bike shop has what I want, I'll just ask the price. Because I've done my homework, I know the MSRP as well as the street price. If the owner of the store looks at the tag and tells me what's written on it, maybe he's not serious or doesn't respect me, and I might walk. If he has to get out his pad of paper and do complex computations, he's probably trying to play me. If he looks up something on his computer or his books, and comes up with a number without much fanfare, then maybe I'll think he's serious. If his number is in the ballpark of what I expect, I'll pay the price. Even if he's just a little higher, I respect his need to pay his employees and put food on the table. If his number are a little out of line with my expectations, I'll tell him, and I'll tell him what I was expecting. Being honest from the beginning can save everyone a lot of time. If we can come up with a figure that is not awful for either party, then a deal can be made.

You mentioned a £2,000 disparity. To me, that's a lot. For that amount, you can pay for a new motor and still have money for a getaway weekend with the missus... or a mountain biking roadtrip with the lads.

To summarize: Don't settle for a bike you don't want. If someone has the bike you want, give him the opportunity to offer it to you at a fair price. I'm sure you would like the same opportunity if your customer was thinking of going to your competitor because he's cheaper.

PaulK

Jan 26, 2019
Ramsgate
too many posts around the net of people getting fobbed off with issues by their local dealers.
like when their electrics/motor stops working properly.
oh bosch have to sent us a new battery, or a new led remote.
seriously???? what about the 50 bikes sat in the show room? you can't borrow an led remote? you don't even need to take it off a bike just put them really close together....

can't take a battery from a test bike? you have to wait for bosch to send one first? and then find out thats not the problem, that'll be another 2 weeks...
why would anyone have loyalty? no shops seem to go out of their way to help the customer anymore, it's just sales staff

My local place is expensive as hell too, if they priced matched online I'd be more likely to use them, they also don't stock a range of components just basic stuff and Bontrager junk.
so its not like I'm even helping keep someone convenient open.

Why would they help you out when you have bought the bike elsewhere? It's not like you have helped them out.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Why would they help you out when you have bought the bike elsewhere? It's not like you have helped them out.
Yes that's so true I tried Tisos with something bloke said they charge £40 an hour for labour. I put a roval wheel to two locals came back same way both charged 25 quid. Sent it to Berkshire sorted it for nothing.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

I had never made a big purchase from the bike store that's just around the corner. I knew the guy and bought small stuff on occasion, but never bought a bike from him. About 13 years ago, a friend brought her bike over to my house. It was making noise. She had bought the bike used, had ridden it a lot, and it was beyond the warranty period.

It turns out that the aluminum swingarm on the bike was cracked, and that's what was making the noise. We went to the bike store. Even though he didn't sell the bike originally, and it was clearly out of warranty, the store owner said he'd see what he could do. He made a call to the manufacturer, and within a few days, we had a replacement swingarm.

We were both impressed with the owner's willingness to go out of the way to help us. From then on, my friend and her husband deal only with that store. I recently bought a bike from him. My buddy liked my bike, so he went and bought a bike from him. And now another friend is closing in on a deal from the store.

So a single act of kindness from years ago has resulted in multiple bike sales and more parts that I could possibly list.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had never made a big purchase from the bike store that's just around the corner. I knew the guy and bought small stuff on occasion, but never bought a bike from him. About 13 years ago, a friend brought her bike over to my house. It was making noise. She had bought the bike used, had ridden it a lot, and it was beyond the warranty period.

It turns out that the aluminum swingarm on the bike was cracked, and that's what was making the noise. We went to the bike store. Even though he didn't sell the bike originally, and it was clearly out of warranty, the store owner said he'd see what he could do. He made a call to the manufacturer, and within a few days, we had a replacement swingarm.

We were both impressed with the owner's willingness to go out of the way to help us. From then on, my friend and her husband deal only with that store. I recently bought a bike from him. My buddy liked my bike, so he went and bought a bike from him. And now another friend is closing in on a deal from the store.

So a single act of kindness from years ago has resulted in multiple bike sales and more parts that I could possibly list.
Yes it's great when you come across genuine folk who just can't help doing their best for everyone. I have a lad who had a bike shop as a side line he does a lot for me if I can't do it myself . Right away most of the time. For folk that are not good at basic repairs it can be a long wait to get a slot for repairs.

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
I brought my levo off tredz as the discount was pretty big and they also did the cycle to work scheme even with sale items. When I had an issue they just told me to take it to a specialized dealer, which I thought was not great. Luckily local shop is a specialized dealer and they have been awesome. So if I brought another bike would I choose my local dealer? Id like to think so but there is still a huge difference in price.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I brought my levo off tredz as the discount was pretty big and they also did the cycle to work scheme even with sale items. When I had an issue they just told me to take it to a specialized dealer, which I thought was not great. Luckily local shop is a specialized dealer and they have been awesome. So if I brought another bike would I choose my local dealer? Id like to think so but there is still a huge difference in price.
That's the reality .. I'm getting a new bike with sale price and cyclesheme im saving over 50 percent.

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
That's the reality .. I'm getting a new bike with sale price and cyclesheme im saving over 50 percent.
I was in the same situation, I'll support my local bike shop with servicing and repairs and other bike related stuff but £2000 is such a big saving, but I do think the current climate is quite unique. I don't think these savings will be around when I buy a new bike in a year or so.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles