Levo Gen 2 Brose Spline Cover Tool options/ Spider Removal

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
Hi. From what I’ve been reading, specialized recommends using a special tool (BROSE SPLINE COVER part #S17530006) in order to remove the chainring without damaging the motor bearings. this was for a 19 TLevo, I hope the 2020 is the same

Please help me out with your experiences.
I saw some pics of the tool and it’s very simple. I assume we can use many options to achieve the same, without this specific tool.

Can somebody share the specs of this tool? Diameter, ID, OD?

Thanks

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Hi. From what I’ve been reading, specialized recommends using a special tool (BROSE SPLINE COVER part #S17530006) in order to remove the chainring
chainring comes off like normal, except easier as the bolts screw right into the ring
the spyder maybe you need the tool

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
I think the OP means removing the spider.

Well, yes. I have the tools to remove it, except for the specialized specific tool.
And i dont have the bike with me now; the damn 35 Gold fork is been waranty serviced. With the bike attached to it!!!! i dont know why they just didnt sent the fork only.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You'll also need this spline cover tool otherwise your pulley remover will not work, because you cannot push it against a hole ... also this spline cover will apparently sit against spider shaft and not against crank shaft (you may damage the bearings pushing against crank shaft especially if spider for some reason won't come off easily). Unfortunately I don't know the diameter of this spline cover tool but if you remove the spider nut then I'm sure you can measure it with a caliper vernier and give it to your local workshop with a lathe to make it for you for few bucks or a ?

DSC_0179.web_1080x.jpg

Last edited:

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
You'll also need this spline cover tool otherwise your pulley remover will not work, because you cannot push it against a hole ... also this spline cover will apparently sit against spider shaft and not against crank shaft (you may damage the bearings pushing against crank shaft especially if spider for some reason won't come off easily). Unfortunately I don't know the diameter of this spline cover tool but if you remove the spider nut then I'm sure you can measure it with a caliper vernier and give it to your local workshop with a lathe to make it for you for few bucks or a ?

DSC_0179.web_1080x.jpg

that’s exactly theBROSE SPLINE COVER part #S17530006 that I’m asking about.
when my bike is back from service, I’ll take a look and try to measure it out. I have access to CNC lathe and I can make one.

im looking from somebody that owns one of this tool for the specs.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
that’s exactly theBROSE SPLINE COVER part #S17530006 that I’m asking about.
when my bike is back from service, I’ll take a look and try to measure it out. I have access to CNC lathe and I can make one.

im looking from somebody that owns one of this tool for the specs.
yes the price is pretty outrageous so worth making your own, internal diameter 24.5mm, external diameter 30.5mm, internal depth 21mm , external depth 26.5mm. The cap has a centre hole to accommodate the tip of the puller, I reckon about 4.5mm on the outside reducing to 2mm on the inside. The inside of the head of the cap isn't completely flat, it's sort of chamfered, but it's very slight and I doubt it makes much difference. Hopefully that's enough for you to make your first prototype ?

EDIT: on second thoughts, the chamfering of the inside of the head of the cap is presumably to put the pressure on the spider shaft and not against crank shaft - as pointed out by salko above. So internal depth of 21mm is in the middle, but it's slightly less towards the outside

Last edited:

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
yes the price is pretty outrageous so worth making your own, internal diameter 24.5mm, external diameter 30.5mm, internal depth 21mm , external depth 26.5mm. The cap has a centre hole to accommodate the tip of the puller, I reckon about 4.5mm on the outside reducing to 2mm on the inside. The inside of the head of the cap isn't completely flat, it's sort of chamfered, but it's very slight and I doubt it makes much difference. Hopefully that's enough for you to make your first prototype ?

EDIT: on second thoughts, the chamfering of the inside of the head of the cap is presumably to put the pressure on the spider shaft and not against crank shaft - as pointed out by salko above. So internal depth of 21mm is in the middle, but it's slightly less towards the outside

thank you very much!!! This helps a lot.
It’s not only expensive, but it seems to be unobtainable.

based on your edit, and I agree that the tool shouldn’t touch the crank shaft, the length can be 30 or plus mm. I saw a picture and I assume the chamfering is for manufacturing purposes only. Easier to machine it this way.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Today's tip ..

If you're using a 24mm socket - you need to cover the top of the socket with a washer or something. I used what was in my pocket at the time - which was a €1 coin ...

This doesn't work ! :D

It probably depends on your sockets, but in my case the 23mm is actually a slightly better fit. The 22 feels like it's just applying some pressure to the crank shaft.

1661936965279.png

Last edited:

Beanz

Oct 11, 2021
Ross-on-Wye
If anyone is looking for the Brose puller cap, in the UK, Berkshire Cycle Co (berkshireturbo.com) have them for only £10 a piece. Just received mine and I'm very happy with it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles