Levo Gen 2 Chainring Removal Tool?

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
What tool is needed to remove the chainring on a 2020 Levo Comp with the stock Praxis cranks. It sounds like it's either the Park LTR-3 or the BBT-18? Or, post a link if you know in your response.

Praxis said to talk to my Specialized dealer. Looks like a cassette removal type of tool but with a different tooth pattern and larger diameter. I want to take it off so I can get the motor plastic housing off and clean it out. Plus, I may need to replace my chainring here at some point too so it will be good to have the proper tool for that.

Cheers!

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
To remove a chainring you only need an allen key. To remove a spyder BBT-18 + puller tool + spyder removal adapter should do it.

Yes it's the spyder I am after. Okay I see. so I need the ring removal tool and then the puller too. Got it and thank you!

I think the spyder will have to come off to get the plastic cover all the way off and be able to get in there to really clean it or to remove the motor someday if need be. Right?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yes, but don't forget the spyder removal adapter (or similar tool). The point of this adapter is that it is not good to press with a puller tool directly onto the motor crank shaft because this way you can damage the bearings inside the motor as they are not designed to withstand axial forces, especially if the spider needs some more force to pull it off. With this adapter pulling/pushing force is transferred against chainring shaft where spider is sitting, so no bearings are effected by pulling/pushing force.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Yes, but don't forget the spyder removal adapter (or similar tool). The point of this adapter is that it is not good to press with a puller tool directly onto the motor crank shaft because this way you can damage the bearings inside the motor as they are not designed to withstand axial forces, especially if the spider needs some more force to pull it off. With this adapter pulling/pushing force is transferred against chainring shaft where spider is sitting, so no bearings are effected by pulling/pushing force.
Totally makes sense. So about $40 in parts to do this but there are four of us in my crew that have Levo's so we can all go in on the setup.

Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles