Levo Gen 3 Spider Removal tool

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Hi all
I would like to change out my chainring on my new Levo, but I can't find a souce for the Brose tool to protect the motor from the side loads. I have all the other needed tools. Anybody know where you can source one especially in the US? The only link I've found here is dead.

Thanks

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Are you sure you need to remove the spider in order to remove the chainring? On Gen2 Levos you can get it off without removing spider although at first sight you can tell it wont come off, but with little fiddling it goes...

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I tried my best this morning. Unfortunately the shape of the GX eagle chainring prevents getting enough angle on it to clear the spider.
107774.jpg

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Hi all
I would like to change out my chainring on my new Levo, but I can't find a souce for the Brose tool to protect the motor from the side loads. I have all the other needed tools. Anybody know where you can source one especially in the US? The only link I've found here is dead.

Thanks
do you need to removed the spider lock ring, or the actual spider? i pulled my crank arm and spider lock ring this morning to run a SRAM X-sync 2 38 tooth steel chainring. will be using a 4" gear puller to get the spider and chainring off to install the new chainring. here's link to the gear puller. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ol-gear-puller/pfm0/w136p?q=gear+puller&pos=0

here's a thread about running a larger chainring. Larger chainring on 2022 Turbo Levo? - EMTB Forums

it's been confirmed that the Gen2 Levo chainring can be removed without pulling the spider, but the Gen3 Levo does require you to pull the spider.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
do you need to removed the spider lock ring, or the actual spider? i pulled my crank arm and spider lock ring this morning to run a SRAM X-sync 2 38 tooth steel chainring. will be using a 4" gear puller to get the spider and chainring off to install the new chainring. here's link to the gear puller. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ol-gear-puller/pfm0/w136p?q=gear+puller&pos=0

here's a thread about running a larger chainring. Larger chainring on 2022 Turbo Levo? - EMTB Forums
Yes the actual spider. I have a BBT18 for the lock ring. I have a puller but I’ve seen it is I’ll advised to put a side load on the BB spindle with a puller. There is a tool that is supposed to isolate the load of the puller. But I can’t find any for sale.

SparkleHedgehog

Dec 11, 2021
Coningsby, UK
Yes the actual spider. I have a BBT18 for the lock ring. I have a puller but I’ve seen it is I’ll advised to put a side load on the BB spindle with a puller. There is a tool that is supposed to isolate the load of the puller. But I can’t find any for sale.
You can use a socket instead to push on that fits the motor surround instead of the axle itself. Can’t remember off the top of my head which mm socket you use but does the same job

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
You can use a socket instead to push on that fits the motor surround instead of the axle itself. Can’t remember off the top of my head which mm socket you use but does the same job

That’s my plan is to use a socket. I don’t expect the gear puller is going to require much force to get the spider off.

dan6789

Oct 16, 2022
UK
A useful thread, thanks. Just wish I'd read the service manual and this thread earlier as it's now another week before I'll be able to get out in the bike due to needing to order more tools just to change a worn chainring!

PNWmtnBKR

Subscriber
Feb 5, 2024
WA, USA
Is this a gen 3? does the socket sit against the top of where the threads for the lock ring goes?
I have a gen 3. Yes, it fits over the crank shaft and the lock ring threads.

I bought a puller like the picture above and I couldn't find a 24mm socket, but a 15/16 inch (SAE in the US) socket is the same and the puller shaft fits fine inside a 3/8 drive socket, so you don't have to use a washer or anything to cover the hole.

Buying this stuff is pretty annoying since it literally takes about half a turn to pop it off. But there was no way I could get it off any other way without fear of damaging something.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles