Brose s-mag failure

LRB

Apr 12, 2021
Ramona California
My Brose s-mag on my Bulls E-stream AM-4 died yesterday towards the end of my ride. I was 2 miles out from my truck, luckily it was a fairly flat ride out. I took it it into the dealer and they confirmed my fears. The motor had failed. It is under warranty so I get a new motor, unfortunately I won’t have it for at least 2-3 weeks. I am a intermediate trail rider, so no giant jumps or ridiculously crazy trails, however I have put 2000 miles (3200 km) and 240,000 ft vertical (73,000 m) on in 6 months. I ride 4-5 times a week, I wash the bike each time and charge only after a few hours have passed and I remove the charger promptly once it has reached full charge. I don’t use a pressure washer by the way. There had been no noises or problems and it stopped giving power on the flats, I weigh 90 kilos so no excessive weight, I like to climb so lots of steep vertical that probably stresses the motor somewhat. Just a little disappointed I guess that I am out of commission for a few weeks. Also disappointed in Brose, happy that it’s under warranty but I feel it should be good for 10,000 miles. Probably part of my disappointment is this is the 4th warranty claim on a 6 month old bike. Granted not all are BULLS issues, my super core battery went dead after one month, my Bloks screen went down after 2 months (still have not received that replacement) my Shimano rear hub disintegrated after 5 months (that just came in) and now my motor has died. I get it, stuff wears out but it should last a little longer than a few months. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Cheers from San Diego

LRB

Apr 12, 2021
Ramona California
I received my new motor, I am assuming it’s new and not rebuilt took it for a ride today 20 miles 3500’ vertical. I also had the new rear hub installed and as a bonus when they were tuning up the bike they found the rear derailleur had failed so got a new one of those as well. I put on some eddy current tires so it felt like a new bike. I quite like the eddy current, grippy and let’s me ride the top side of the berms without washing out. Hopefully this motor lasts a lot longer. Supposedly Brose has started using a new belt and gear, going to find out. Headed out again tomorrow, that’s the beauty of living in Southern California.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles