Brose "Significantly" extends Mag S life span .....

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I have had 3 Brose Mag. A Serial1, Tero and Levo, never had any problems whatsoever. Cycles all year round in Norway where the weather changes and is more extreme than most countries in Europe.

IMG_6669.jpeg IMG_0585.jpeg IMG_1900.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Something is going to be announced soon, Brose won awards late last year for recycling old e-bike motors. I’ve also read that they will be selling re-manufactured motors with 2 year warranty for a significant discount over the current new prices. EMBN show also said to watch out for a big announcement coming soon regarding Brose and UK customers.

Steve Jones said he guarantees that there will be changes in the UK relating to the serving of Brose motors in the coming months.
Hopefully you are right we all wait patiently believe me.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Something is going to be announced soon, Brose won awards late last year for recycling old e-bike motors. I’ve also read that they will be selling re-manufactured motors with 2 year warranty for a significant discount over the current new prices. EMBN show also said to watch out for a big announcement coming soon regarding Brose and UK customers.

Steve Jones said he guarantees that there will be changes in the UK relating to the serving of Brose motors in the coming months.
Well, I suppose with all those second-hand warrantied motors that they would have, (must be in the tens of thousands) it would be silly not to do something with them.
I honestly think that the motor and bike brands need to realise that a motor unit is not a disposable item and should be serviceable, just like a lot of cars or motorcycles are. I don't like the path we are going down where you have a sealed for life unit. Some car brands are starting to do this too.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well, I suppose with all those second-hand warrantied motors that they would have, (must be in the tens of thousands) it would be silly not to do something with them.
I honestly think that the motor and bike brands need to realise that a motor unit is not a disposable item and should be serviceable, just like a lot of cars or motorcycles are. I don't like the path we are going down where you have a sealed for life unit. Some car brands are starting to do this too.
Yes we love consumables but a whole motor is a bit different.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I also doubt that Specialized intentionally let its customers be the Guinea pigs for the Brose motor as it would have cost either Specialized, Brose or both a fortune to just continually replace motors like they have.
Would be interesting to know how many replacement motors and at what cost the bean counters have factored into the price of each unit sold - "quite a lot" I'd guess.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
They refurbish them and use them as warranty replacements...

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
A press release from Brose :

"
Press release

Brose significantly extends the lifespan of the S Mag

Berlin (January 11, 2024). Brose E-Bike is consistently continuing its quality offensive. The Berlin-based system provider has gradually improved its magnesium drives around the renowned Drive S Mag. The specific further developments have significantly extended the lifespan in particular – but the benefits for customers and end users are even more extensive.

The central innovation in Brose Drive S Mag and Co. is the optimization of the drive belt and transmission, which results in a significant increase in mileage.

At the beginning of the market launch in 2018, Brose had problems with premature motor failures. However, thanks to the meticulous modernizations, this is now a thing of the past.

Lukas Zwanziger, Head of Quality at Brose E-Bike: "Initially, we were very dissatisfied with the performance of our magnesium drives, especially the S
Mag. In close cooperation with our internal and external partners, we worked intensively on the individual weak points and continuously improved the motors. The result is the "new" S Mag, which you can rely on in any situation."

Brose implemented the first major optimization package in 2021 with the aim of significantly increasing durability. Since then, further improvements have followed successively. Among other things, the company achieved a reduction
in the already quiet operating noise, even at very high mileages. The latest modification has also made the drives more resistant to water ingress. Furthermore, the completely overhauled electronics and software ensure greater reliability and an even more comfortable ride. Many components have been replaced by more modern ones, so that the electronic parts of the magnesium drives are available without restriction.

To ensure that the measures implemented achieve the desired effect, Brose subjected the magnesium drives to intensive endurance tests in the Harz. During this process, over 50,000 kilometers were covered and around one million meters of altitude were mastered. To ensure the long-term success of the revisions, S Mag and Co. undergo around 175,000 hours of testing in special endurance test rigs at the Berlin plant every year. In this way, procedures can be reliably tested and undesirable events can be identified and rectified at an early stage.

"The aim of our measures is clear: we wanted e-bike fans to be able to enjoy the natural riding experience and the impressive power of the S Mag and our other magnesium drives in a carefree and lasting way," says Zwanziger.

The success of these efforts is reflected in SRAM's decision. The renowned US component manufacturer was looking for a drive for its innovative Eagle Powertrain system with automatic shifting and found the perfect solution in the S Mag. Since the end of September 2023, the Brose motor has been the centerpiece of models from the four popular e-mountainbike manufacturers Propain, Transition, Nukeproof and Gasgas.

About Brose Drive Technology

Brose e-bike systems offer the right solution for every application – whether in city, trekking or mountain bikes. The family-owned company has transferred its decades of experience as a supplier of electric motors for the automotive industry to the bicycle. At the e-bike competence center in Berlin, more than 140 employees develop and produce drives that are used in models from over 30 manufacturers worldwide. Together with specially developed displays, battery and the Brose app, the drives form a perfectly coordinated system, enabling a particularly harmonious riding experience.

Press contact
Brose Drive Technology
Dennis Lamb
Phone: +49 30 343498 237
E-mail: [email protected] "

No idea how you tell if you have an "improved" motor. It might be like previously where there have been incremental updates and then they decide there's a milestone and make a release about it - like with the Gen3 Levo release.

@Bearing Man any thoughts ?
High Rock Ruti

These improvements should create a motor that lasts another.........

300 miles?

Warm Regards Ruti

Acc

Jun 15, 2020
America
I guess I'll chime in hear so Cozzy won't be alone. I have a MY21 Turbo Levo Comp. I average 30 to 40 mile rides with several thousand feet of elevation. I ride all over north Georgia(USA Georgia)mountains About 5500 miles on OEM motor never have had a problem. I pressure wash the heck out of it. After I wash it, I blow the water off with my leaf blower. Then I take a box fan and blow on it for several hours. I ride about 85% on eco. I'm 150 pounds(that helps a lot). I also tape up the seams down by the charging port. keeps muck out. Actual the only problem I have had is trying to download this "new" black app.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I'm surprised that at a buck fifty you even have to turn the battery on. 😉. Try 210 lbs plus carry a spare battery in a camelbak hawg for 4500ft climbing. Anyway, my wife never needs new motors, just me.
Why does the press release say 2018? I've been on Levos since almost the beginning. My first ride was in like 2015-16? when they are doing a magazine shoot in Moab on Levos before they were for sale. I bought the first one that I saw in my LBS in Salt Lake in 17. It came with a 460wh battery. Those batteries weren't very good. I'm rambling of course. Back to the motors. Had three on the 17', all belt failures. I'm on a third motor on my 18' carbon. The 18' had clutch failures for some reason. Paid $1200 for the last motor for that. I have a 22' Levo that I replaced the motor because of gear whine. It never failed but the hikers would turn around and wonder what the hell was coming up the trail. For what it's worth, the first gen levos were the most quite of all years, including the Kenevo. My wife has a 21' Kenevo, original motor.
I disagree with the Levo generation count that people give. I consider the 18' carbon a 2nd gen because it was night and day difference from the first gen of which I had two. Specialized even made a short movie about the engineering that it it took to make the 18' carbon.
Rambling again.... sorry. Love the Levos, they changed my life and help my marriage when the wife comes along.
If you want to know if you are stressing the brose motor just ask yourself if you know when it starts to derate on a long hard pull. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you aren't pushing the motor to the limit and it should last a long time sans water intrusion. Loyal customer. Cheers

20240117_095927.jpg 20240128_081917.jpg 20231229_091513.jpg 20231229_091641.jpg 20231229_080155.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles