Broken port on Shimano BT-E8010 battery

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Hi everyone, I am desperately looking for some help with regards to a 2nd broken port on this battery rendering my husband’s bike utterly useless. We accepted responsibility for the original breakage on the first battery and so paid out £570 for a replacement battery. Alas…on only the 5th charging the port has yet again broken…it’s about 1/4” of the plastic that has disappeared. I can honestly say that we have treated the charging process with utter respect and have never rammed the charger in as we have been accused of doing. Shimano refuse to exchange the battery under their guarantee?
I’ve read on here that the charging port can be replaced…and yes I am aware that Shimano do not provide replacement ports. I believe it’s a case of extracting a port from a used battery. But I have also read that you can use a satellite port??? I have seen the device advertised but I wouldn’t have a clue as to how this would work.
My husband suffers from Alzheimer’s and is almost 80 years old. However, he is extremely fit and been a cyclist for over 40 years. It is only in the last six months that he has bought the Merida power assisted bike.
Please if anyone has any idea how we can be helped, we would both be extremely grateful. Cycling is Alan’s touch with reality…I can’t bear to see that taken away from him.
Finally, if you have read right to the bottom of this post….thankyou!

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Hi …thx for replying. It’s a Merida E Big 7 300. The battery is a Shimano BT-E8010. It’s a tiny bit of plastic that is missing around the connector pins. I did take some photos but that are not all that clear. I’ll attach them…thx. The first photo is of our battery…the second is of an identical problem I found on this forum. Sorry…the photos have come out the other way round…2 nd is our port.

6058A827-C2BD-4AC5-B07B-3E1BF9AB9A8C.jpeg 68D0E98D-5E17-4D0E-B960-AD9468947E47.jpeg

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Oh wow, ok so that's not what I thought I was going to see and I can see why you're going to struggle with getting spares.
I take it the battery is now not working or is intermittent as the contacts are not held in place?
Ask a silly question but whats breaking that part? (if you know)

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Oh wow, ok so that's not what I thought I was going to see and I can see why you're going to struggle with getting spares.
I take it the battery is now not working or is intermittent as the contacts are not held in place?
Ask a silly question but whats breaking that part? (if you know)
No idea… they say the charger has been rammed in!! Not so… been super careful as broken one already… new one cost £570 and it was on only its 5th charge! The issue is that we can no longer charge the battery!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
No idea… they say the charger has been rammed in!! Not so… been super careful as broken one already… new one cost £570 and it was on only its 5th charge! The issue is that we can no longer charge the battery!
cant charge on the bike?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Normally, if the battery is mounted on the bike, there is a "charge port" where you connect the charger.

The charger you have should have an adapter on the end of it to charge the battery when it's not on the bike (using the port where it normally connects to the bike).

It could be that the charge port is getting damage when you put the battery on the bike, or when taking it off. Maybe it's not lining up correctly for example.

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Normally, if the battery is mounted on the bike, there is a "charge port" where you connect the charger.

The charger you have should have an adapter on the end of it to charge the battery when it's not on the bike (using the port where it normally connects to the bike).

It could be that the charge port is getting damage when you put the battery on the bike, or when taking it off. Maybe it's not lining up correctly for example.
There is no adapter…it’s the same charger used when either mounted on the bike or off. The battery slides in to the bike by means of a key system which releases a kind of peg and then locks it into place. We don’t leave the battery on the bike in these cold conditions. There is an adaptor but because of the plastic mounting it won’t fit into the charging port. The battery slides into the battery mount from the back whereas the charging port is at the bottom on the side. I’ve left the charger with the bike shop to send back to Shimano to see if it’s the plug in bit that is faulty…fingers crossed.

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
I’m hoping someone out there knows how the port on the battery can be changed…it’s only held in by two screws apparently. But obtaining a new port is the main problem. Apparently some bike shops have spares and are prepared to help…but not Shimano! Thx anyway.

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Hi everyone, I am desperately looking for some help with regards to a 2nd broken port on this battery rendering my husband’s bike utterly useless. We accepted responsibility for the original breakage on the first battery and so paid out £570 for a replacement battery. Alas…on only the 5th charging the port has yet again broken…it’s about 1/4” of the plastic that has disappeared. I can honestly say that we have treated the charging process with utter respect and have never rammed the charger in as we have been accused of doing. Shimano refuse to exchange the battery under their guarantee?
I’ve read on here that the charging port can be replaced…and yes I am aware that Shimano do not provide replacement ports. I believe it’s a case of extracting a port from a used battery. But I have also read that you can use a satellite port??? I have seen the device advertised but I wouldn’t have a clue as to how this would work.
My husband suffers from Alzheimer’s and is almost 80 years old. However, he is extremely fit and been a cyclist for over 40 years. It is only in the last six months that he has bought the Merida power assisted bike.
Please if anyone has any idea how we can be helped, we would both be extremely grateful. Cycling is Alan’s touch with reality…I can’t bear to see that taken away from him.
Finally, if you have read right to the bottom of this post….thankyou!
Are the metal leads intact and properly positioned in both the port and the cable? If so, is it possible to clear away any plastic chunks that might be in the way and plug the cable in and get a connection? If so, can you then do some work on the existing plastic housing to make the set-up secure? Sounds tedious, I know, but if the connectors are in good shape and in place, it’s worth messing around with…for that kind of money.

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Are the metal leads intact and properly positioned in both the port and the cable? If so, is it possible to clear away any plastic chunks that might be in the way and plug the cable in and get a connection? If so, can you then do some work on the existing plastic housing to make the set-up secure? Sounds tedious, I know, but if the connectors are in good shape and in place, it’s worth messing around with…for that kind of money.
Thx for that…unfortunately my hubby is almost 80 and suffers from mild dementia…he wouldn’t have a clue as to what you are meaning! We would really need someone to help us out with that kind of repair. It does make sense what you are saying but at the bike shop he reckons it’s the missing piece of plastic that’s causing the problem…presumably because it’s not a secure connection! But yes…all the contacts seem to be in place!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Unless you're both Gorillas and use a sledgehammer to seat the charger, I don't see how you could damage that part when merely connecting the charger.

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
We’ve just had to have the bracket realigned when we got the new battery. The battery coobects to the bike on the bottom whereas the charging port is slightly up the side and under the cover…don’t think the two can be related! As it’s winter we remove the battery from the bike and bring it inside to charge! Lol…we’re neither gorillas or have we used a sledge hammer! That’s exactly what I told the shop…not fit for purpose. Having broken one already I have been particularly careful inserting the charger! At the shop where we actually bought the bike…not the replacement battery…he says he’s never careful! Just don’t understand!

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
We’ve just had to have the bracket realigned when we got the new battery. The battery coobects to the bike on the bottom whereas the charging port is slightly up the side and under the cover…don’t think the two can be related! As it’s winter we remove the battery from the bike and bring it inside to charge! Lol…we’re neither gorillas or have we used a sledge hammer! That’s exactly what I told the shop…not fit for purpose. Having broken one already I have been particularly careful inserting the charger! At the shop where we actually bought the bike…not the replacement battery…he says he’s never careful! Just don’t understand!
Jumpy:

I have the same battery on my Pivot Shuttle and after thousands of charges I have never experienced your issue. I had used up one battery and thru it away two month ago otherwise I would try and remove the female plug and send it to you.

Can you please take a picture of your charger plug and show it to us.

If you were to attach the charger plug into the battery plug and put some downward pressure on it would the charger light on the charger show charging? If so, you could buy a long Velcro piece and wrap it tight around the battery over the plug.

Let us know what you accomplish.

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Jumpy:

I have the same battery on my Pivot Shuttle and after thousands of charges I have never experienced your issue. I had used up one battery and thru it away two month ago otherwise I would try and remove the female plug and send it to you.

Can you please take a picture of your charger plug and show it to us.

If you were to attach the charger plug into the battery plug and put some downward pressure on it would the charger light on the charger show charging? If so, you could buy a long Velcro piece and wrap it tight around the battery over the plug.

Let us know what you accomplish.
Thank you so much for your interest. The ‘new’ battery has been sent back to Shimano along with the charger. But because I thought it might be a charger problem originally, we bought a new one which is still in its box. I’ll get his original battery out and the new charger and try what you suggest. Thanks so much for your suggestion…I’ll let you know if it works.

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Thx for that…unfortunately my hubby is almost 80 and suffers from mild dementia…he wouldn’t have a clue as to what you are meaning! We would really need someone to help us out with that kind of repair. It does make sense what you are saying but at the bike shop he reckons it’s the missing piece of plastic that’s causing the problem…presumably because it’s not a secure connection! But yes…all the contacts seem to be in place!
If you’ll post a couple of well-lighted close-ups of the messed-up port and the plug end of the cable, I’ll offer an opinion on whether it can be fixed. I like teasing things like this out!

Robert wood

Oct 11, 2020
North yorkshire
Sorry to here about your problems. I live in leyburn. I have the same charger but not had a problem so far. Different battery though. Give me a shout if you need any help..rob

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For anyone wondering about the "Satellite charging" option, that's the Shimano EW-CP100.

You'd have to mount the charge socket on the frame somewhere, which if it doesn't have a blanking port already setup would mean making a hole in your frame ! :eek:

Or you could just connect it to the motor and try to protect it somewhere, but the chance of water ingress or damage with the exposed sat port would be high :

1676279909517.png

1676279927122.png

This port gives an alternative way to charge the battery when it's mounted on the bike.

It doesn't seem possible to purchase replacement charge ports for the BT-E8010/14/16/18/20. The only ones I've read about which have been repaired are where people have bought the EW-CP100, opened up the battery, cut the EW-CP100 cables and soldered them to the original ribbon cable. You then have to enlarge the hole in the battery case to fit the EW-CP100 port where the original charge port was mounted and glue it in place.

I always thought you could use the BTE80 (normally supplied with charger) to just plug into the bottom of the battery (bike connector) and use that to charge with the charger. Have one sitting in a box somewhere. Maybe the plug shape is different though to the downtube support plug/connections.

Not a good example and a different battery :

1676280743276.png

Last edited:

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
For anyone wondering about the "Satellite charging" option, that's the Shimano EW-CP100.

You'd have to mount the charge socket on the frame somewhere, which if it doesn't have a blanking port already setup would mean making a hole in your frame ! :eek:

Or you could just connect it to the motor and try to protect it somewhere, but the chance of water ingress or damage with the exposed sat port would be high :

View attachment 106623
View attachment 106624

This port gives an alternative way to charge the battery when it's mounted on the bike.

It doesn't seem possible to purchase replacement charge ports for the BT-E8010/14/16/18/20. The only ones I've read about which have been repaired are where people have bought the EW-CP100, opened up the battery, cut the EW-CP100 cables and soldered them to the original ribbon cable. You then have to enlarge the hole in the battery case to fit the EW-CP100 port where the original charge port was mounted and glue it in place.

I always thought you could use the BTE80 (normally supplied with charger) to just plug into the bottom of the battery (bike connector) and use that to charge with the charger. Have one sitting in a box somewhere. Maybe the plug shape is different though to the downtube support plug/connections.

Not a good example and a different battery :

View attachment 106625
Thanks Zimmerframe…thank you for responding positively. Yes I had previously seen this equipment and wondered if it would be a fit? I think that’s the adapter the bike shop showed me but alas it won’t go anywhere near the charging port. I need the adapter but without the obvious plastic trim around it! That would do the job nicely…shame about the plastic trim. I’ve looked for an adapter without the trim…no joy. Alas when we have previously charged the original battery on the bike…ie in the summer….with the BT 8010 you actually use the same charging port which is on the side of the battery and has nothing to do with the battery connecting to the frame which is on the bottom.
Idea…if I bought the adapter…do you think the plastic frame could be removed easily?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It wouldn't surprise me if the bike shop doesn't have a draw full of them from all the ones they've not given out with bikes as they were unnecessary.

The plastic looks reasonably easy to remove. If that's a good idea or not is down to the individual and the circumstances !

Without the plastic you also run the risk of being able to insert the adapter into the battery the wrong way round, so you'd have to mark it clearly with coloured tape for instance to make sure it was the correct way up.

The longer pin on the BTE80 is the negative :

1676284490458.png

Which corresponds with the bottom connector on the BT-E8010 :

1676284532627.png

You would also have to be VERY careful inserting the adapter as these ports are also known for failing.

It maybe easier just to repair the plastic on the original charging ports, unless the connections are also damaged.

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
It wouldn't surprise me if the bike shop doesn't have a draw full of them from all the ones they've not given out with bikes as they were unnecessary.

The plastic looks reasonably easy to remove. If that's a good idea or not is down to the individual and the circumstances !

Without the plastic you also run the risk of being able to insert the adapter into the battery the wrong way round, so you'd have to mark it clearly with coloured tape for instance to make sure it was the correct way up.

The longer pin on the BTE80 is the negative :

View attachment 106626

Which corresponds with the bottom connector on the BT-E8010 :

View attachment 106627

You would also have to be VERY careful inserting the adapter as these ports are also known for failing.

It maybe easier just to repair the plastic on the original charging ports, unless the connections are also damaged.
Right…think I get it now. You use the adapter to charge via the bottom connector where it sits on the bike. Well, the man in the bike shop did say the adapter wouldn't fit because of the plastic casing on the adapter which is not meant to be used on the BTE8010. Can’t remember if he tried to put the adapter into the original port or the bottom bike connector. Think I was so shocked when he said it was broken! This is the charger end:

B789456A-7FD2-42FC-83F7-F581F8F3359E.jpeg

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
This is the original battery and you can see the plastic around the port itself is broken. There may be a damaged pin also. The newer battery, however, only has about 1/4 inch of the plastic missing and no damage that I can see to the pins! No one has mentioned mending the plastic which I agree seems the obvious solution….but only if it can be repaired! No idea how to go about finding out or who to ask if this possible😗😗

8E723E29-56DF-453E-86EB-77D8C21E1B3B.jpeg

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
This is the original battery and you can see the plastic around the port itself is broken. There may be a damaged pin also. The newer battery, however, only has about 1/4 inch of the plastic missing and no damage that I can see to the pins! No one has mentioned mending the plastic which I agree seems the obvious solution….but only if it can be repaired! No idea how to go about finding out or who to ask if this possible😗😗

View attachment 106629

View attachment 106629
Somebody has already messed with this. See the two zip-tie loops at the back?

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
Somebody has already messed with this. See the two zip-tie loops at the *
No one I know of has messed with this…we took it up to the bike shop when we realised it was broken…man had a look and said the plastic was broken so you wouldn’t get a firm connection. Not sure what a zip-tie loop is? I’ve added what I hope is a better picture

61BD3F7C-3C41-4BFA-A94F-5ADFFCB87BA8.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles