Mondraker charge port issue

Deri Evans

Jan 24, 2021
Cardiff
Hi All,
I've recently bought a Mondraker Crafty Carbon R. I'm having issues with the charge port which is located on the underside of the down tube. The cover for the port does not provide adequet protection and mud finds its way into the port and causes the bike to lose power completely.
The bike shop I bought the bike from have contacted Mondraker and Mondraker have said the this is first time this problem has occurd with the Crafty.
Does anyone else have a Crafty R and experienced the same issue as me?
Thank you
Deri

20210123_163556.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi All,
I've recently bought a Mondraker Crafty Carbon R. I'm having issues with the charge port which is located on the underside of the down tube. The cover for the port does not provide adequet protection and mud finds its way into the port and causes the bike to lose power completely.
The bike shop I bought the bike from have contacted Mondraker and Mondraker have said the this is first time this problem has occurd with the Crafty.
Thank you
Deri

View attachment 51817
I don’t think this is the first time it’s occurred. Even on my Trek Rail I worry about the electrical connections. I’m not an electrical engineer but some of the connections are susceptible to water ingress. There is a non-conductive grease that can be used but it can get messy and needs constant applications.
My concern is at the charging portal and cover. It can be difficult to keep this area clean.
I’ve only had 1 incident of power loss during a ride. (a water-proof connection at the motor came loose). Full disclosure; I’ve had the bike completely submerged several times, ride in the rain often and rinse her off almost daily.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
The rubber cover is a really poor design especially when it's on the underside of the downtube...
I've got the Level R and take the battery out to charge (obviously not an option with your crafty). I ended up taping that cover on to prevent water getting in.

If you ride in muddy conditions I'd also recommend taking the motor covers off and even dropping the motor.
I had about a kilo of mud built up in there. There's some foam above the motor and it was absolutely caked in it.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Hi All,
Thank you
Deri

View attachment 51817
Ive got a 2021 on its way thats not good ??‍♂️

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The rubber cover is a really poor design… I ended up taping that cover on to prevent water getting in.
It’s too bad we need to use tape . Just remember that it may prevent water from getting out too. There’ll probably be some after- market cover soon.
Or magnetic induction connections for charging.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
A friend of mine has Crafty R 2020 on Bosch 4 and uses it in mud, rain, any weather. Never reported such issue and I even called him and asked. I'm waiting for my 2021 R model and was worried, but he told me he never experienced such issue.

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
How you getting on with your bike... I just bought a 2021 carbon second hand.. Works fine, but i want to de restrict... Have you done this to yours. I just tried a vol speed 3 and it does not seem to work properly. Thanks

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
My Mondraker is the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Absolutely nothing has been broken. Just normal wear. I only change tires, swap chains and ride. I rode 2100 km in 2021 since July. The only downside of the chargeport location is that some mud is going off to my floor when I connect the charger. I didn't and don't plan to derestrict. On tarmac access roads spinning above the limit is effortless. On other roads the limit is not an issue. And on the downhill I set my own limits :) Great bike, you'll be very happy owning it.

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
No, i really hate the limitor it ruins the bike. I have had ebikes before, last was a 2018 crafty that i de restricted from day 1. Personally it ruins the bike for me, as im on the limitor alot or just above.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
My friend has Craft alu. and that rubber plug even doesn't stay in a place !!!
She has to use power/duct tape around the tube, just to keep it safe in place !!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles