Hi! (Mondraker Crafty owner)

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Hi peeps! Just purchased a second-hand 2021 mondraker crafty r. I was hoping to last a bit longer on my nukeproof mega but a worn knee (and too many mates already on ebikes) has forced me to get this. Hoping the weather perks up a bit more as I’ve owned it a week now and only took it for a spin up the road. Would rather it’s maiden voyage wasn’t in the worst the UK has to offer and my local spot is known to be a mud pit in the slightest show of rain!
Previous owner upgraded to a levo but took all the best bits of both bikes so I purchased the leftovers but for a good price. It came with brand new specialized wheels but unfortunately in a mullet set up so I changed these to full 29r e deemax that I got cheap. Fox 36 rythm but brand new so I’ll keep them for a while before getting some zeb ultimates. New code r brakes which my mate has on his levo and not complained yet so they can stay for a while before I buy some hope v4 with the new ebike rotors. A few other bits like the bars and stem came off the new bike too, I’ll probably keep all of it apart from maybe a shorter stem (need to get it on the trails and hit a few features before I can get a feel if I really need it).
Didn’t like the fact the charge port is under the downtube in possibly the worst place and I read on here an owner had problems with water getting past the particularly crap cover and causing motor problems. Because I remove the battery to charge it indoors I decided to blank it off with a piece of plastic and an slice of inner tube to seal it off.
Also purchased a Volspeed v4 module as I would like to have assist on any sudden inclines/features that could do with a boost and long level riding. Don’t like the fact riders in some countries can have this but we can’t. I can hit those speeds regardless of motor assist so what’s the difference?! All seems to work ok so far touch wood.
Might look at making my own alloy motor guard that mounts over the stock one but bolts to the motor mounts as the material is very thin around the rear mounting screws and I don’t think it would support a substantial impact.
4C84D203-7343-4F21-A0CB-32D200C0CE07.jpeg 955E83BD-6A8F-45EB-B29D-4BC3162568EC.jpeg 9D71EAA0-8A38-40A0-8ECD-AB561509E822.jpeg

Last edited:

Ambodave

Nov 6, 2022
Uk
Hello from another, rarely ride in wet so not see as a problem.😎 Fitted fox xl mudguard as well. Best handling bike I have ever rode tho💪

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Thanks chaps! I’d prefer to only ride in the dry but I would never get out at this rate. Love my winter night rides but this weather is ridiculous! Went for a proguard up front, clearance is very tight. I was considering removing the lower charge point completely but not looked into the wiring yet.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
It’s a shame we have to do these things, I know they don’t get as much rain in Spain but it’s not hard to see that’s a very crap place to put something like that on something that’s going to get used in all kinds of conditions

Ambodave

Nov 6, 2022
Uk
Yes I agree. latest haibike10 has it below shock where water can pool into charge socket. 😒 is bike OK otherwise?

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Wish I knew! Not had a chance to ride it yet. Rain hasnt stopped at all here. I’ll be making a cardboard mock up for a motor guard this week hopefully. Motor looks pretty solid but the wiring runs directly under it and there’s not enough slack to route it any other way. Looks pretty vulnerable, a well positioned impact would make a right mess of it. I was just starting to front wheel pop off some felled trees at my local that don’t have ramps built into them and getting over them nicely on my mega, will be a bit of a challenge on this but if I get it wrong that wiring is gonna get it.
Looking forward to getting up to wales on it. Afan can be done in a day from mine so that might be a trip done in the next month or so. Don’t mind the rain in wales as the trails are built for it. It’s just a complete mess and very slippery chalk/clay here

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
A few other bits like the bars and stem came off the new bike too, I’ll probably keep all of it apart from maybe a shorter stem (need to get it on the trails and hit a few features before I can get a feel if I really need it).
I would strongly recommend getting a 30mm stem. That's what these bikes are designed for and they handle much better with it.

Ambodave

Nov 6, 2022
Uk
Thanks will look into that. I had a rail 7 before. Did 4k miles on that. Crafty handles way better. Better spec as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles