Rail (625Wh) Broken E-component on Gen 2 Rail 9.7

StarLord

Feb 11, 2023
Austin, TX
I was doing some downhill a week or so ago and washed out in turn passing someone. It was not a heavy fall whatsoever but I realized this piece was broken once I got to the bottom of the hill. Is there any aftermarket pieces out there that could house the electronics in something metal. The factory piece will absolutely break again in a fall as it’s very cheap, Chinese plastic material.

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The same happened to me. Controller collar snapped. I wrapped tape around the remaining mount and bar for a few rides. Eventually I replaced the controller. It wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be.

Since then I’ve lowered the profile a bit. I rarely use the controller while I’m riding so lowering it down a little was ok.

Btw, anti-crash-spray doesn’t work …on anything. 😉

StarLord

Feb 11, 2023
Austin, TX
The same happened to me. Controller collar snapped. I wrapped tape around the remaining mount and bar for a few rides. Eventually I replaced the controller. It wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be.

Since then I’ve lowered the profile a bit. I rarely use the controller while I’m riding so lowering it down a little was ok.

Btw, anti-crash-spray doesn’t work …on anything. 😉
How did you lower the profile? As in rotating it so it sits rearwards on the bar? Got a picture?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
How did you lower the profile? As in rotating it so it sits rearwards on the bar? Got a picture?
I lowered it as best I could. I don’t need to “see” it…only feel the buttons a few times a ride. More importantly I didn’t tighten the clamp very much. Just enough to stop it from going out of position. The rubber clamp-ring really seems to stick to the bar.

My brake levers will spin also when they are struck during a crash. Sometimes too tight is not a good idea.

StarLord

Feb 11, 2023
Austin, TX
Thanks and I agree with you. My plan will be to loosen that unit, rotate towards me to lower the profile at the top and possibly move it further towards the center of the bar. Basically further from the striking point on the outside bars. It is limited though as the diameter of the handlebar increases as it moves further inward.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks and I agree with you. My plan will be to loosen that unit, rotate towards me to lower the profile at the top and possibly move it further towards the center of the bar. Basically further from the striking point on the outside bars. It is limited though as the diameter of the handlebar increases as it moves further inward.
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. More towards the centre but not quite out of reach of my thumb when my hand is on the grip. I can still operate the “walk” feature when I need to…easily. (Good explanation, ty btw)👍🏻

I purchased another Kiosk kit recently for the Hardtail (PowerFly) but the only option for the Kiosk screen is a stem mount. I’ll probably get the bar mount (magnetic) and tether the Kiox with a short cord.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I broke mine on my first ride (took it straight from the shop with 40psi in my tires and the controller literally rolled around so far that it would never survive even the smallest crash).

I kept it glued together for many rides before biting the bullet and buying a new one. As above, it wasn't cheap but I thought I was going to be way worse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles