• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Bought the SPEEDi e-MTB speed limit increase for my 9.7 EXe

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Someone mentioned this SPEEDi over in the megathread and after some debate on if I really wanted this, I bit the bullet and purchased. Neale, the owner? who runs NLS components let me know they offer the "caps" for both the Bontrager freehub and DT370 (which I use for my mullet). I was able to purchases the standard bontrager Fuel EXe complete set with an additional cap for the DT370 to swap when I want to mullet.

Anyway, the way the speed limit increase works is there's a magnet that rotates inside this plastic gear thing basically slowing down how the electrical magnet reads the wheel rotation speed. It increases the bike's speed limit by a factor of 1.5, so I guess with the e-MTB this means max 30mph?

Anyway, install is super easy they have details on the site. I did all my initial testing on my Mullet 27.5 rear wheel DT370 with 54T star ratchet conversion. I also did not do max Turbo tuning, so I will have to mess with that to see if that will help me get even higher top speed, but my legs were dead after this test lol.

First thing I did was test it around my neighborhood and it works! So along with the Trek Central app to record the short ride, I also used my Apple Watch 6 to record the ride to get a better reading of my max speed since the bike would not read proper speed on the built-in display. I did two different runs. Both runs in the Trek Central app showed a top speed of 16.5 mph and on the bike display it showed 16mph so that seems fine. On my apple watch synced to strava it showed my max speed to be 25.2mph on the first run and 23.4 mph on the second run and I definitely could still feel the assist going in the top setting. I didn't mess with my tuning yet, so I may actually make it full power 300w with full assist for the turbo mode since I don't really use this on the trail, but it will be really helpful on the rides to the trails if I want to book it over 20mph. Also I initially could hear a very slight rotating noise from the SPEEDi, but I think the TQ motor is a louder than the magnet. After awhile I didn't hear or pay attention to it.

What was really interesting though is that although top speed reading was off on the Trek Central app as opposed to real world speed, average speed was using GPS to calculate I think since my avg speed was higher than the reading of the top speed, if that makes sense. What was even better, because I was afraid I would have to ditch the Trek Central app, is that when the Trek Central app syncs the ride to Strava, the average and top speeds are ACTUAL real world speeds, not what the built in display/computer shows at 16mph, but rather the 25mph speed. So I can still use the Trek Central app to record my rides and when synced to strava the speed and distances are accurate. Only the built in computer speed will be off or less.

I attached some photos. Overall so far it works, I mainly wanted to use it to ride to and from local trails, so I think it will do the job just fine. In the two runs I did I was exerting max effort and my thighs were like jelly after I was done LOL so I'm not sure how long I can really sustain 25mph+ but at least it's there.

signal-2023-01-10-194903_003.jpeg signal-2023-01-10-194903_002.jpeg signal-2023-01-10-194955_004.jpeg signal-2023-01-10-194955_003.jpeg

before I torqued the bolts down, but the bolts sit below the plastic and then a magnet goes inside there to go around the gear teeth. A cap/cover is placed over and that's that.
signal-2023-01-10-194955_002.jpeg

Last edited:

MamboN5

Dec 6, 2022
España
With a 27.5 wheel your bike no longer showed the real speed, right? Or have they released a firmware update for that?

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
With a 27.5 wheel your bike no longer showed the real speed, right? Or have they released a firmware update for that?
That’s correct. I believe at 18.5-19mph real speed the bike would show 20mph and thus cut off before the 20mph speed limit. This SPEEDi helps avoid that too, I forgot to mention that.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I am interested in converting to a mullet, what has led you to make that decision? Profits?
I am still testing since the mullet has a very low bottom bracket height but I changed cranks to 155mm. I was on a full 27.5” SC 5010 before and was comfortable on that with the smaller wheels and being 5’6” height. Full 29” I would get butt buzz and sometimes just felt too tall when I would dismount as I like a low Standover height as well. I will say the 29” setup rides really well am would consider going back if my next full ride with mullet continues to get pedal strikes with 155mm cranks. I haven’t tested those out yet.

MamboN5

Dec 6, 2022
España
I am still testing since the mullet has a very low bottom bracket height but I changed cranks to 155mm. I was on a full 27.5” SC 5010 before and was comfortable on that with the smaller wheels and being 5’6” height. Full 29” I would get butt buzz and sometimes just felt too tall when I would dismount as I like a low Standover height as well. I will say the 29” setup rides really well am would consider going back if my next full ride with mullet continues to get pedal strikes with 155mm cranks. I haven’t tested those out yet.
What do you think if we raise the issue in the general thread?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
This sure looks like a modified Planet3 set up. The only real downside of a mechanical de-restrictor is the improper displayed speed and distance. I prefer an electronic dongle that keeps everything correct. Nice non original idea though.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
This sure looks like a modified Planet3 set up. The only real downside of a mechanical de-restrictor is the improper displayed speed and distance. I prefer an electronic dongle that keeps everything correct. Nice non original idea though.
Yes the display on the bike computer will be incorrect. In the Trek Connect app only the top speed is incorrect. The average speed is actually the real time speed weirdly enough. Additionally when importing into Strava all speed values are real world speeds as in averages and top speeds over 20+ mph with assist. So it’s only the bike display. Maybe the odometer as well…

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
@Gd3fit any issues with the Speedi or is everything still OK?

Very tempted to get this for my Rail rather that the electronic solution I have now which needs to be removed for software upgrades etc. I'm not at all bothered about correct speed readings on the bike display which I only use for battery %.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
@Gd3fit any issues with the Speedi or is everything still OK?

Very tempted to get this for my Rail rather that the electronic solution I have now which needs to be removed for software upgrades etc. I'm not at all bothered about correct speed readings on the bike display which I only use for battery %.
No issues yet. Only done a few rides around the block. No trail riding yet but I don’t foresee any issues. Made sure to follow directions especially having a clean end cap and disc rotor was important. Spins freely, I don’t hear it over my tires. Solid product so far!

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
160 nzd for a piece of plastic, a cog and a magnet :eek: And I guess it will need some maintenance as it can clog up with muddy water.

Better spend a bit more for a chip. That way the speedo also works correctly.

MamboN5

Dec 6, 2022
España
write to him and ask, Neale works well and responds quickly saving time zones,

If mine from trek fuel exe works for you, I have it for sale with 2 days of use for €75

MamboN5

Dec 6, 2022
España
I bought it because I had already used it on my previous bike with excellent results and I am selling it because I have sold the bike.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Unfortunately my rise orbea still not supported …the idea is interesting but i would make it in SS or titanium not magnetic with exception of the small gear. Plastic is prone to get broken or worn out soon

Last edited:

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
No issues yet. Only done a few rides around the block. No trail riding yet but I don’t foresee any issues. Made sure to follow directions especially having a clean end cap and disc rotor was important. Spins freely, I don’t hear it over my tires. Solid product so far!
Is this SPEEDi unit still working with no issues? I’m interested in getting one, I just need to make sure I can get one that fits my Tune hub. Thanks. 😎👍🏼

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Is this SPEEDi unit still working with no issues? I’m interested in getting one, I just need to make sure I can get one that fits my Tune hub. Thanks. 😎👍🏼
Yeah no problems here. I opened it up to swap it to a 29” wheel (I bought two different caps one mullet one stock for bontrager 29”wheel) and inside was clean. I don’t think about it anymore. Just ride. I plan to use the speed limit increase a bit more after I move as I’ll be utilizing greenways and access gravel trails more when I move to NC.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Yeah no problems here. I opened it up to swap it to a 29” wheel (I bought two different caps one mullet one stock for bontrager 29”wheel) and inside was clean. I don’t think about it anymore. Just ride. I plan to use the speed limit increase a bit more after I move as I’ll be utilizing greenways and access gravel trails more when I move to NC.
Nice! Good to know, thanks. I emailed them already to see if they have one that will fit my hub, so we’ll see. 🤞🏼

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Looking into de limiting solutions for the smart system , it seems that electronic solutions are able to be detected more and more. They are all more expensive than the Speedi too.
I like the simplicity of a mechanical device , easily removed if necessary , no process to initiate de restriction via controls , no need to remove for firmware updates. The only downside is incorrect speed and distance readings and potentially an error if allowing the Flow app to connect during rides.

If they made one to suit my bike , I'd have one for sure.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I've only just heard of this device, seems a potential win for warranty concerned riders.

Has anyone used it with the Bosch smart system? How is it working out, any issues?

Is it not similar to moving the magnet onto the crank arm, which I believe the smart system can detect and puts the system into limp mode?

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Heard no issues on the cube emtb Facebook group, quite a few using it on there with no issues. It's advisable to disable GPS to the flow app so there isn't a discrepancy between GPS speed and the speed seen by the wheel sensor.

Looking into buying one myself as Bosch is very good at detecting the electronic workarounds.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I'm interested in one too, but how is it different from moving the magnet and sensor to the crank arm to trick it, which I believe the smart system can detect?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I'm interested in one too, but how is it different from moving the magnet and sensor to the crank arm to trick it, which I believe the smart system can detect?
As the sensor isn't moved there's one less variable to worry about. I've no idea if that's why tampering is detected or not, but as the Speedi is such a subtle mechanical work around it so far seems to be trouble free.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
With a sensor detecting the crank arm only , it will be receiving signal per crank rotation. With the Speedi , the signal is sent per wheel rotation and continues while coasting obviously. Both use the same principle but the Speedi is much more subtle.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Interesting. Sounds like a simple device that the Smart System in the Bosch software shouldn't detect. There's some real stuff going on in the newer Smart System that seems to be causing havoc with most/all tuning devices. I run a VOLspeed on my Trek Rail Gen 2 that works perfectly, but it's not the Smart System. In fact VOLspeed states their device won't work with the Smart System. I know Speedbox and others are trying to work around it, but perhaps Bosch has figured a way to detect any of these tuners that plug directly into the motor's electrical system. I don't see how the Bosch software would ever detect this device, maybe someone else can refute that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles