Bike Park Wales | Feb 6th | Video and Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Bike Park Wales, 6th February 2018

Having never visited a 'bike park' before I knew that BPW would be more intense than my local trail centre (Swinley) and have a far bigger range and variety of trails to ride. I'd wanted to go for ages but had never got round to it. Today though was a good day. Wife abroad, kids at school, random Tuesday off mid week. The stars had aligned and I had a free day and had just got a Turbo Levo Expert to shakedown.

I'd looked at going last year before I got into the EMTB scene but the uplift was always totally booked out. But now with my turbo powered bike I thought that wouldn't matter. I'd just pedal to the top instead of the uplift. That thought turned into a non reality though! When I arrived there was not a soul to be seen, other than the staff that work there. It was about 2 degrees, a slight flurry of snowflakes were falling and I was offered the priority uplift. £34 sir. Yes please! In hindsight I'm glad I did take the uplift option. I could have definitely peddled to the top but it was such a cold day, my hands were totally freezing (note: need better winter gloves). This also gave me time to sort out the GoPro / Chest strap etc and prepare for some footage.

The first time I got to the top I had no idea what trail to take. I hadn't done any research before or even looked at their free map that was given to me at reception. I chatted briefly to the only other guy on the uplift who gave me a few tips and off I went. I think I did a red trail first. What a blast! Complete fun, technical terrain with some nice flow sections too. Favourite was hitting A470 (think thats what its called) with the tabletops. Whilst I'm a crap jumper this section gave me a bit of confidence as there were few trees and other obstacles to take me down hard if I came into contact with them.

Second run of the day I travelled in the uplift with the staff that work in the shop there. They were a really good group of guys and were talking about the park, bikes and took an interest in where I'd come from and how I was finding the park. By this time I was a little more confident (although cold) and took another blue then red combo.

After about 6 uplifts I was totally trashed. Legs had no stamina left and I was fatigued. I could have got another run or 2 maybe but I knew that there was risk here of stacking it and getting injured so I packed my bags and hit the road home about 4pm for the 2 and a half hour journey home.

All in, a fantastic day. The Levo handled it brilliantly.

I will be back. Next time to hit Black.

(y)

Last edited:

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi Rob really good video, thoroughly enjoyed it, you are a man of many talents, not least of all video editing and production.

Love to know what camera angle you were using for the on board, looked really cool.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob really good video, thoroughly enjoyed it, you are a man of many talents, not least of all video editing and production.

Love to know what camera angle you were using for the on board, looked really cool.
Thanks! It was a GoPro on a chest mounted a on a gimbal to reduce the choppiness.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
How many climbs of the hill did you do on the bike and how much juice did you use doing it? Interested to gauge how many runs you could get on an ebike.
We chatted to a guy on a DH Haibike there and he reckoned he had used the majority of his battery on two climbs. I realise that particular bike is not a good example as it is equipped with a DH chainset so not geared for climbing.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How many climbs of the hill did you do on the bike and how much juice did you use doing it? Interested to gauge how many runs you could get on an ebike.
We chatted to a guy on a DH Haibike there and he reckoned he had used the majority of his battery on two climbs. I realise that particular bike is not a good example as it is equipped with a DH chainset so not geared for climbing.
I wussed out and didn’t do any climbs. It was too cold, the van was empty all the time and I’d paid for the uplift. If it was a bit busier and the weather was a bit better I’d have climbed. It should take about 25-30 mins (vs analogue bikes 40 mins).

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I’m just trying to weigh up if the ebike is a viable option there as I get the opportunity to go at short notice or as a detour going home from the ship but inevitably the uplift is already booked up.
I reckon you could realistically get about 4 runs either side of an extended lunch for a recharge. What do think after going?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’m just trying to weigh up if the ebike is a viable option there as I get the opportunity to go at short notice or as a detour going home from the ship but inevitably the uplift is already booked up.
I reckon you could realistically get about 4 runs either side of an extended lunch for a recharge. What do think after going?
Yep I’d agree that sounds about right. Could possibly squeeze a fifth.

Out of curiosity and as an experiment I’m going to go again in a few weeks and I’ll not use the uplift :LOL:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I’m going in May for a couple of days with buddies but that will be on the clockwork bike. Need to book the uplift on Monday when the dates are made available.
I’d like to go before that though. Cannot go this time when I leave the ship but next month would be on. Also want to go to Windhill.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Yep I’d agree that sounds about right. Could possibly squeeze a fifth.

Out of curiosity and as an experiment I’m going to go again in a few weeks and I’ll not use the uplift :LOL:

Hey Rob, great video!

I was thinking of going to BPW in the next few weeks, what date are you thinking of?

If you want to, let me know when you are planning to go and we could meet up?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey Rob, great video!

I was thinking of going to BPW in the next few weeks, what date are you thinking of?

If you want to, let me know when you are planning to go and we could meet up?
Thanks mate!

Im not too sure on a date yet but would be great to meet up :) As soon as I know I will let you know.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks mate!

Im not too sure on a date yet but would be great to meet up :) As soon as I know I will let you know.

Cool no worries, not having to book months in advanced for the uplift certainly ticks the box for me. Very interested in how many climbs to the summit we will get. We could do a 460Wh v 504wh comparison test too maybe?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Cool no worries, not having to book months in advanced for the uplift certainly ticks the box for me. Very interested in how many climbs to the summit we will get. We could do a 460Wh v 504wh comparison test too maybe?
I'm up for that!

Edit: Added review to original post.

Reactions: Jay

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Good video Rob , you were going well especially that was your first run on those trails . If I had the uplift I wouldn’t bother with the ebike , but the uplift isn’t always easy to get at short notice and I wouldn’t fancy riding up too many times on a normal bike , then of course there’s the cost if the uplift . Maybe 2 batteries is the way forward ? Cwm carn is well worth a ride and much closer to the bridge and free .
Camera angle was good , just a worry about chest mounts , I was marshalling at an event last year and chest mounts were not allowed , due to a number of serious injuries , not a good thing to fall on

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles