Big clunks shifting to higher gears

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve been meddling with the 3 mech adjusting screws (probably a silly thing to do)
Chain shifts up to all cogs fine and when on a sprocket there is no noise. All quiet, no ticking at all.
When shifting down, there is a slight delay and then a big clunk. The worst of all is shifting from 10th to 11th gear. That’s quite a deafening clunk.

Any ideas? Could it be the B screw is messed up?

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
Do you have a B screw adjustment guide? Worst case you could probably print one out or find the measurements online somewhere to be sure. Watch a youtube video on adjusting them, they are pretty easy to get right. Top and bottom are only going to matter for first and last gears anyway.

Has it always been this way? Some of it could be down to the equipment, but if you are turning screws and aren't sure they are correct, best to assume they are wrong. Once it's adjusted right, I think it's just down to how little power you shift with, and how well the cassette and chain you have handle the power. For example with both equally well adjusted, I'm finding my new SLX cassette shifts much more quietly both directions than my SRAM cassette that came on my bike did.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It sounds like it could be your cable tension - too tight? Try loosening one or two clicks. Try one click at a time while you're riding, then again if you need to, but 5 mins later. Sometimes it takes a couple of gear changes for the change in tension to work through to the mech.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
If it’s Sram then that’s normal, I’ve had several bikes with Gx rear cassette and they all do it, Shimano use hyper glide plus which has little ramps up and down or make shifting smooth.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles