Best water bottle cage?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
I'm looking for a bottle cage to strap on to my bike frame.

Can anybody recommend one that's solid enough to not get shaken loose and can take a 750ml/1l bottle on a square-shaped top tube?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
fidlock - attach using big zip ties instead of the supplied straps though. However I dont think they do bigger than 600ml (450ml in pics)

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 21.12.27.png

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 21.12.41.png

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Went for the SKS "Topcage Anywhere".

Pics show the most ergonomic/efficient position on my 2019 Vitus e-sommet.

Keeps away from the rear shock adjusters and valve, gives about two centimetres leg pedalling clearance. Angled rubber "feet" keeps the whole thing nice and tight against the square-shaped tube. Placement on the right side keeps it clear of sideways battery removal.

Downside compromises: reduced impact but still possible family jewels tickle if I suddenly come forward off the saddle and there's also some slightly awkward standover discomfort, but that's still better than having it on top of the tube.

This all to get some weight off my spine (deformed from a major riding accident back in 2013) as I carry a spare battery for long rides up and down actual mountains. I'll have to get used to water intake discipline because I'm used to a water bladder but hey - I just need to stay hydrated - not drowned, right? 😜😃
20220809_141816.jpg
20220809_141917_HDR.jpg
Polish_20220809_142330993.jpg

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Fidlock do an 800ml bottle, got one on my bike which was definitely needed yesterday in the heat!

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Another vote for Fidlock from me. I have them on all my bikes and have 450ml, 600ml and 800ml bottles (which I use depending on conditions) and a tool bottle thing on my gravel bike. Note that the bigger bottles won't fit on some bikes, I can only get the 450 on my Orbea Rallon. They are by far and away the best water bottle carrying solution that I've ever tried though, so easy to use and yet totally secure.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Another vote for Fidlock from me. I have them on all my bikes and have 450ml, 600ml and 800ml bottles (which I use depending on conditions) and a tool bottle thing on my gravel bike. Note that the bigger bottles won't fit on some bikes, I can only get the 450 on my Orbea Rallon. They are by far and away the best water bottle carrying solution that I've ever tried though, so easy to use and yet totally secure.
But without straps, just a screw-in base. No good to me.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Ah ha. So you did. Missed that. I can see why you used zip ties. I had a rear-view mirror once on my trad road bike with that sort of strap which I think just wouldn't be strong enough for holding a bottle full of water whilst offroading, as no doubt you discovered. Handy though the Fidlock holder itself may be instead of a more traditional type, I much prefer the SKS binding over ziptie-ing for my Vitus top tube.

If I have to pull the trigger on the SKS though, the Fidlock will be my next stop.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The stock fidlock strap is a very good bit of kit, and holds the bottle fine, but as I was going to leave the mount on permanently I used the zip ties as looked a lot cleaner

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Have you considered a Camelbak/similar? I abandoned water bottle use over 8 years ago swapping to the backpack water reservoir and couldn't see me swapping back anytime in the near (or distant) future.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Have you considered a Camelbak/similar? I abandoned water bottle use over 8 years ago swapping to the backpack water reservoir and couldn't see me swapping back anytime in the near (or distant) future.

As I said:

"This all to get some weight off my spine (deformed from a major riding accident back in 2013) as I carry a spare battery for long rides up and down actual mountains."

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
As I said:

"This all to get some weight off my spine (deformed from a major riding accident back in 2013) as I carry a spare battery for long rides up and down actual mountains."
Oops missed that vital snippet. As an aside my 1.5l camelback weighs 1.5Kg with 1l of water onboard. with the weight taken by my shoulders.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Oops missed that vital snippet. As an aside my 1.5l camelback weighs 1.5Kg with 1l of water onboard. with the weight taken by my shoulders.
Yeah bladders are really good I've used them myself for years but now it needs a different approach.
An 800ml bottle means water intake discipline but that's OK to just stay hydrated, rather than gulping loads of liquid most of which just gets passed through...

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
as there is so little space on a fs bike I use this:
works well for me - holds my steel bottle quite well even on the rough.

Photo on the listing shows a phone in the pocket, no space for that other than a medium cereal bar once my bottle is in.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
What travel is on that bike, 300mm?!

Looks like a Motorcross bike with that mudguard.

How's your standover height with that water bottle attached?
170 front 160 back.

Get a lot of stone upchuck here, hence the "'cross" guard.

Yeah a hangover is compromised. I just make sure the saddle is down for an easy dismount when I stop.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I’d lose the ‘cross’ guard and use the fid lock system as howz shown above.

Kills two birds with one stone. Gets the water out the way and good excuse to lose the ‘cross’ guard 👀

That massive water bottle will surely protect the down tube more than the ‘mudguard’ anyway?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
I’d lose the ‘cross’ guard and use the fid lock system as howz shown above.

Kills two birds with one stone. Gets the water out the way and good excuse to lose the ‘cross’ guard 👀

That massive water bottle will surely protect the down tube more than the ‘mudguard’ anyway?
Well I'm sure you would. Why would I want to lose the guard?
Personally, I think hanging a stainless steel insulated bottle directly in line of fire is a pretty dumb thing to do but hey. Whatever.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Well I'm sure you would. Why would I want to lose the guard?
Personally, I think hanging a stainless steel insulated bottle directly in line of fire is a pretty dumb thing to do but hey. Whatever.

Pretty sure the fid lock is plastic but hey. whatever.

All the best in your quest for suitable hydration 👍🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles