Best suspension to upgrade my 2020 turbo levo expert

Joe Wright

May 16, 2020
Monaco
Hi Forums,

I’m In need of some opinions for some upgrades on my 2020 turbo levo expert...I love the bike however the 36 performance and DPS rear shock doesn’t seem quite to cut it for being an 80kg rider....does anyone feel the same? I’m looking at maybe a coil shock on the rear and possibly the new fox 38 up front...what’s everyone’s opinion for my bike? And maybe even ohlins?

thanks Joe

Joe Wright

May 16, 2020
Monaco
I believe the forum members could be more helpful if you said what symptoms led to your current suspension not quite cutting it.
Thankyou for the response, I find when I set the correct sag I’m constantly bottoming out the suspension too often, I’ve tried installing an additional token which has definitely helped however I find the suspension too hard at the progressive end of the stroke, also it gives me really bad arm pump, I’ve tried adjusting my bars and brake positioning which hasn’t seemed to help (front) rear I think is fine and I’m still adjusting the rebound a little bit to find how I like it for jumps

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Get on to you-tube and watch the Dialed series with Jordi from Fox so you can full understand what/how suspension works. Then set up your bike properly.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
80kg is not on the too heavy side - so I think you should just be able to tune the forks you've got to work better for you using the built in adjustments.

I'm 80kg also and I get nowhere near bottoming the same fork out with 30% sag and no additional tokens on most riding.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thankyou for the response, I find when I set the correct sag I’m constantly bottoming out the suspension too often, I’ve tried installing an additional token which has definitely helped however I find the suspension too hard at the progressive end of the stroke, also it gives me really bad arm pump, I’ve tried adjusting my bars and brake positioning which hasn’t seemed to help (front) rear I think is fine and I’m still adjusting the rebound a little bit to find how I like it for jumps
I am half your weight again and can tune those forks to work very well.

My suggestion is that you go to a suspension tech tha tknows his stuff and have the bike configured for you. Adjusting fluid levels can have huge benefits - more so when adding a token or two. Hell, I suggest to anybody that once they have owned a bike for 3 - 6 monthsdeppending on how much they ride that they have a full suspension service. Most of my bikes the fluid is trashed by that time and needs replacing anyways.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi Forums,

I’m In need of some opinions for some upgrades on my 2020 turbo levo expert...I love the bike however the 36 performance and DPS rear shock doesn’t seem quite to cut it for being an 80kg rider....does anyone feel the same? I’m looking at maybe a coil shock on the rear and possibly the new fox 38 up front...what’s everyone’s opinion for my bike? And maybe even ohlins?

thanks Joe
If you don't want to change fork and shock, better way is to fine tune what those.
Diaz Suspension Runt can help a lot of your fork and maybe Cascade Components rear link helps your rear (more travel, more progressive).

I have both and made the suspension much better. And much cheaper than replacing them with a new one.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is a thread on this Forum placed by @Gary that gathered together the best ideas and links for suspension setting. I'll have a quick look and if I can find it I'll add it here:
Nope, I'm obviously using the wrong search terms.

This is one of them though. Very good, takes you from the basics in easy steps right up to beyond maybe where you might want to go.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
SUSPENSION SET-UP GUIDES AND INFO

There you go Stevie . ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you're bottoming out too often you havent set "corect" sag for the spring curve at your weight. .
The best upgrade here is knowledge. Not wasting more money on more expensive suspension components you clearly don't understand how to set-up.
Have a good long read of the thread linked to above. EVERYTHING you require is on the first post.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
If you're bottoming out too often you havent set "corect" sag for the spring curve at your weight. .
The best upgrade here is knowledge

Or he is hucking to flat ground a lot ...
Getting air suspension to feel supple on small bumps and able to huck to flat without bottoming out is the never ending quest .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you're that sort of rider who hucks to flat a lot, it stands to reason you'd be running a higher spring rate (less sag) or a steeper spring curve. Or both.
a coil shock or a larger stanchion fork isn't going to solve a bottoming out issue unless you address spring rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
I am 80kg rider and I had my 2019 Turbo Levo Carbon upgraded to have Fox 36 Kashima/Factory e-bike forks fitted.

With 30% sag , never had a problem bottoming-out the forks, once properly set-up (ie incl. compression and rebound) even though I have ridden some big drop-offs in the Alps and Lakes....

This year, I also managed to get hold of a 2021 Fox Factory DPX2 and fitted that in place of the stock DPS. IMO that upgrade has given the bike a more sure-footed/"planted" feel, whilst being more responsive to changes of terrain/angle etc

Pretty sure your problem is not the forks- my Fox 36's are very robust.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles