Gary

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
from the internet
Ride
ESommet VR
@Rob Hancill
There are a lot of threads on the forum asking questions about suspension set-up.
I think it would be good to sticky a guide to suspension set-up for all users to easily find.

@steve_sordy just posted an excellent and fairly thorough PDF guide to suspension set up in the commencal forum.
Here:
https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-s.../2014/10/Bikerumor-Suspension-Setup-Guide.pdf
Everyone wanting to gain a decent understand of how to set-up their suspension should have a read through this honest and easy to understand guide on suspension set-up.

Seb Stott's video guide on basic set-up is very good too
Here:
and his slightly more advanced guide here:

For anyone looking to understand more advanced info on suspension technology and set-up here are a few more links:
Steve from https://vorsprungsuspension.com has done a series of indepth suspension videos and articles on pinkbike named "The Tuesday tune EPs" Here's episode #1
Inside Fox Float Fork Spring Systems - Video - Pinkbike
and a link to the full series videos
all Video Channel by videoThe Tuesday Tune Ep 24 - Pinkbike
The articles and Blogs by Steve can be found here
VorsprungSuspension's Blog - Pinkbike

Anyone looking to understand suspension frame design and kinematics characteristics could do worse than read what Andrextr has to say on the subject or watch his videos
Here's Andre's Youtube channel
andrextr
His playlists
andrextr
Rear suspension fundamentals playlist
MTB Rear Suspension - YouTube

Antonio Osuna's excellent blog where he compares and discusses various rear suspension linkage designs, the leverage curves, antirise, anti squat, pedal kickback and forces data associated with them and their characeristics in depth over many bikes and suspension designs.
Linkage Design

Software to use to determine the kinematics and characteristics of any frame for yourself.
Linkage Bike Simulation Software - Home

Little bit more indepth/advanced explanation of the first thing you should be setting up. Sag.
including how to and why descriptions of the process From Steve at vorsprung suspension:

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Ride
Merida EoneTwenty
Thanks for the links, very informative (y)

Jan 27, 2019
München
Ride
Specialized TL Exp

Attached is a link from MBR. I found it to be a very logical approach to suspension setup.

Gary

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
from the internet
Ride
ESommet VR
Updated the Original post to add a video on sag as it seems a massively misunderstood subject.

Randles

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 4, 2019
Wales
Ride
KTM Chacana 293
Extremely helpful many thanks guys!!

steve_sordy

E*POWAH Master
Nov 5, 2018
Grantham, UK
Ride
Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE
Updated the Original post to add a video on sag as it seems a massively misunderstood subject.
I liked the vid you added, he had some interesting views and points to make. What appealed to me was his message that sag is a comparitor and a start position, not an end position. I agree with that of course, but I liked the way he put it across. His technique of getting a consistent body position by always ensuring all his weight goes through the BB also made sense to me, very much so. I will be interested to see what fork sag I get when using his technique after first setting it in the attack position. It also means that I should set the shock sag that way too, and not seated. And, like everyone else, he agreed that setting sag is only the start position.

Gary

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
from the internet
Ride
ESommet VR
I liked the way he put it across
There's always been link to Steve's full catalogue of vorsprung suspension videos in the original post.
Not that anyone seems to have bothered to click it ;)

Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Ride
2019 Merida E160 900
Sag and ramp, is where shockwiz really shines. Not always easy to find by feel..
And its pretty helpfull with rebound.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Great resources here. Thanks for posting @Gary. Pity the Linkage Design software is windows only.

Wanted to see what single pivot looks like on graphs like the LinkageDesign blog graphs 😏

Gary

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
from the internet
Ride
ESommet VR
No worries @Fivetones
Check out Andre and Antonio's blog posts (they're all translatable) they've both plotted kinematics graphs for single pivots (not that all SP designs are the same). but it might be helpful for you.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
No worries @Fivetones
Check out Andre and Antonio's blog posts (they're all translatable) they've both plotted kinematics graphs for single pivots (not that all SP designs are the same). but it might be helpful for you.
Working my way through Andre’s videos. Fantastic resource.

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending