Suspension Fork upgrade question

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK
Hey guys, looking to upgrade the fork on my Hainike Fullseven 4. It came with a sun tour fork with 120mm travel. Can I put a fork with 150mm travel on it?
thanks in advance

LexC

Nov 28, 2020
Cape Town
Without much knowledge on your particular bike I am still inclined to say yes.

It’s safe to assume that every 10mm of travel up front will slacken your head angle by 0.5 degrees and usually raise your bottom bracket by 4-6mm roughly.

So just compare that with other bikes in the range, if you get longer travel variants of your bike check the geometry numbers out and see how your changes will match up.

Worst case if it feels terrible you can always change it back.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
You'll probably invalidate your warranty and make the headtube angle even slacker than the standard 67' so Google slack / fork length etc

Any particular reason for the change?

Have a play on this site ; Bike Geometry Calculator - (changing Fork to 'Rotate Frame)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you are a light rider (ie much lighter than the weight limit posted by the bike manufacturer), then you will probably be OK. But if you are knocking on the door, then maybe not. I'm coming from a frame safety viewpoint, not a "what does it do to the ride" viewpoint.

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK
If you are a light rider (ie much lighter than the weight limit posted by the bike manufacturer), then you will probably be OK. But if you are knocking on the door, then maybe not. I'm coming from a frame safety viewpoint, not a "what does it do to the ride" viewpoint.
Thanks Steve, bike quotes 120kg im only 83kg so should be ok.

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK
Your probably invalidate your warranty and make the headtube angle even slacker than the standard 67' so Google slack / fork length etc

Any particular reason for the change?

Have a play on this site ; Bike Geometry Calculator - (changing Fork to 'Rotate Frame)
Thanks for the reply, im just after a better quality shock, not a fan of Suntour, so wanting to change to a Rockshox.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Thanks for the reply, im just after a better quality shock, not a fan of Suntour, so wanting to change to a Rockshox.
Obviously your money/choice but I wouldn't go mad bearing in mind the budget and spec of the bike. I had a Suntour Raidon air fork on a previous bike and it a improvement over the standard coil.
Make sure you get a non boost fork with tapered steerer (looking at the 2021 spec).

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK
Obviously your money/choice but I wouldn't go mad bearing in mind the budget and spec of the bike. I had a Suntour Raidon air fork on a previous bike and it a improvement over the standard coil.
Make sure you get a non boost fork with tapered steerer (looking at the 2021 spec).
this is the current fork, I take it ill need a boost fork to replace
SR Suntour, XCM34 LOR, Lockout, Steel spring, Travel= 120 mm, Aluminium steerer tube 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" tapered, 15 x 110mm thru-axle Boost

any comments on this fork would be greatfull

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
this is the current fork, I take it ill need a boost fork to replace
SR Suntour, XCM34 LOR, Lockout, Steel spring, Travel= 120 mm, Aluminium steerer tube 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" tapered, 15 x 110mm thru-axle Boost

any comments on this fork would be greatfull

I have this fork on my Giant. The stock spring is too light for me. The only good points are the 34mm stanchions and boost dropouts.

I was considering getting a RockShox Judy Gold RL, but I'm thinking a RockShox 35 would be better.

MrPinny

May 7, 2019
Kent UK
Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 23.46.05.png

so these are the geometry figures for my bike on the left the FullSeven 4 with 120mm fork and the full seven 6 on the right with a 150mm fork.

sorry if its a stupid question, if I put a 150mm travel fork on my bike will it match the figures of the full seven 6?

Mike Malanowicz

Feb 8, 2022
Warsaw, Poland
In general - no, you'll not match the figures of the full seven 6. Your bike will be a bit slacker, with higher bar, shorter reach, etc. You can try and go with +30mm of travel at the front, but also seek for the option to shorten your fork to 140mm, since more than +20mm of travel affects bike geometry a lot and you'll feel it in every corner.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles