Levo Gen 3 Best coil shock - Poll

Out of these three, which is the best coil shock for 2022 Gen3 turbo levo?

• Rockshox 2023 Super Deluxe with HBO

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Ohlins TTX22M.2

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • EXT e-Storia

Votes: 48 53.3%

• Total voters

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
OK, I have done a few rides with it now and can simply say its bloody awesome.

I'm 92Kg riding weight
550lb spring
HBO is one click from softest
HSC is one click from softest
LSC is one click from softest
rebound is 5 clicks from closed

It is so much better than the air shock, far less harshness, traction is amazing, it soaks up all the jank that I have been able to throw at it, large rocks, boulders, loose, roots, off camber. Loads of traction.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ

I'm 92Kg riding weight
550lb spring

It is so much better than the air shock, far less harshness, traction is amazing, it soaks up all the jank that I have been able to throw at it, large rocks, boulders, loose, roots, off camber. Loads of traction.
Thanks for sharing!

This is one if the upgrades I am planning for next year 😬

Good to know that rockshox gives us a coil option at a decent price :)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I also fitted one of these
IMG_4295.jpeg

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I would go with a push personally, but next up is either the EXT or the tried and true ohlins ttx, especially the newly updated design.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
It’s a ball joint, so allows some twist for the shock.

Thats a really interesting bushing for yoke based bikes @Dave_B . I've just been reading about it before the dhsign site went down.
How much rotation is available? Do you notice it at all with any flex/give feedback through the bike?

Mauro ita

Apr 9, 2023
Italia
I weigh 80kg and on my lever 23 I have an E-Storia with a 550lb spring, as per the calculator.
however, the SAG is about 18-20% and the bike is too reactive and not "comfortable" at all...it's worse than an air shock...
I want to try a 550lb and see how it goes.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
yeah if your suspension isn't setup, including sag, and also don't forget it needs to be setup so that it is equal or reacts similar to your front suspension too.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I'm 92Kg riding weight
550lb spring

But does the colour of the spring match the bike, and was the shock satisfyingly expensive? Just asking. ;)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Lol. No, it’s red. Might change to black, or maybe get a grey one from EXT

e-diot

Aug 25, 2023
Germany
Hi folks ... my name is Mats, I`m from Germany and riding a 2022 Levo Aomp Alloy. Read this thread with great interest, as I always wanted to change my standard FOX-damper into a coil - damper.
I like the feel, and the look of this old-school stuff - when I was young, we only had coils and I tend to like things, that remind me to my splendid past, when I was buff and wiry.

Got a x-fusion H3C RCP for small money and had some tests with it. Love the look, which matches perfectly with my bike (at least I believe so) ...
PXL_20230824_093441644.jpg

but ... then ... I read this thread and recognized, that things are not that easy. Problems with yoke and coil and so on :cry:

My local dealer (dampers, not Specialized) told me, that he contacted x-fusion and they told him, there were no problems at all, as long as the ball bearing of the mount is checked from time to time. But after I read this thread here, I`m not so sure any longer!

So ... what do you guys think? Is it worth a try or rather an incalculable risk? I love my bike and don`t want a broken frame or anything else. Rather trying one oft the three recommended dampers in the poll of this thread?

The RS doesn`t look great in my eyes, and the EXT e-storia makes a lot of noise (as far as I am told) ... and the yellow ÖHLINS doesn`t fit really well in terms of style.

So ... how would you proceed? Maybe I should say, that I`m an average driver (but with lots of trail - kilometers per year ... 8000 or so ...) no endless drops, only some moderate jumps ... but with an weight of roughly 90 kilograms (without bike:cry:)

so maybe there is some input for me here, what I shoud do? My german forum is not very helpful, as they don`t like to discuss such "irregular stuff" :D.
At the moment I personally tend to the e-storia and getting used to the noise, it makes.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hi folks ... my name is Mats, I`m from Germany and riding a 2022 Levo Aomp Alloy. Read this thread with great interest, as I always wanted to change my standard FOX-damper into a coil - damper.
I like the feel, and the look of this old-school stuff - when I was young, we only had coils and I tend to like things, that remind me to my splendid past, when I was buff and wiry.

Got a x-fusion H3C RCP for small money and had some tests with it. Love the look, which matches perfectly with my bike (at least I believe so) ... View attachment 123293

but ... then ... I read this thread and recognized, that things are not that easy. Problems with yoke and coil and so on :cry:

My local dealer (dampers, not Specialized) told me, that he contacted x-fusion and they told him, there were no problems at all, as long as the ball bearing of the mount is checked from time to time. But after I read this thread here, I`m not so sure any longer!

So ... what do you guys think? Is it worth a try or rather an incalculable risk? I love my bike and don`t want a broken frame or anything else. Rather trying one oft the three recommended dampers in the poll of this thread?

The RS doesn`t look great in my eyes, and the EXT e-storia makes a lot of noise (as far as I am told) ... and the yellow ÖHLINS doesn`t fit really well in terms of style.

So ... how would you proceed? Maybe I should say, that I`m an average driver (but with lots of trail - kilometers per year ... 8000 or so ...) no endless drops, only some moderate jumps ... but with an weight of roughly 90 kilograms (without bike:cry:)

so maybe there is some input for me here, what I shoud do? My german forum is not very helpful, as they don`t like to discuss such "irregular stuff" :D.
At the moment I personally tend to the e-storia and getting used to the noise, it makes.
The regular EXT Storia is the noisy one, there’s a little spacer/bumper thing that rattles like crazy. I super glued mine down so it doesn’t rattle around anymore, the E-Storia doesn’t have it. The E-Storia is dead quiet other than the swoosh noises you get on compressions.

Bennyb

May 24, 2018
United Kingdom
Any one running an ohlins ttx coil on a gen 3 levo pro. I had this shock fitted to my 2020 expert , sold bike and want to fit to the pro, but the bushing mounts seem to be opposite ( maybe the yoke fit is different ) if I swap the bush from the top to the bottom of the coil, will the rest of mountings from the original x2 be able to used / fit?
So anyone running an ohlins ttx, what did you reuse from the x2 and what did you need new to fit

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
My eSoria isn't any louder than my oehlins or X2. If it makes a donkey like noise during compression its usually dirt between coil and plate, just turn it a bit. For any other noise it needs service.
Since first batches there were multiple rolling updates from the manufacturer improving reliability. Ask you dealer to upgrade in the process. Should be FOC.

e-diot

Aug 25, 2023
Germany
Meanwhile I returned my X-fusion damper and got an EXT e-storia. Works wonderful with my Levo, but nevertheless I`m thinking of adding the Cascade Link to get some more progression and those 10 mm more of suspension travel.
Is anyone here, who hast done this yet and can give me some hint, whether this makes any sense ?

Thanks @beutelfuchs by the way, for the advise with the "donkey like noise" ... which I encountered yesterday and got rid of it by turning the coil ;)

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Meanwhile I returned my X-fusion damper and got an EXT e-storia. Works wonderful with my Levo, but nevertheless I`m thinking of adding the Cascade Link to get some more progression and those 10 mm more of suspension travel.
Is anyone here, who hast done this yet and can give me some hint, whether this makes any sense ?

Thanks @beutelfuchs by the way, for the advise with the "donkey like noise" ... which I encountered yesterday and got rid of it by turning the coil ;)
I have the Storia with the cascade link, the link definitely made a noticeable difference. I don’t think I’d ever go back to the stock link, I only kept it in case I need to warranty anything I can slap it back in. I have the cascade long link kit in the box waiting to go on, just trying to decide what shock I want to try out.

e-diot

Aug 25, 2023
Germany
Some short notes about my "new" e-Storia. Works well, makes a huge difference in bike-handling (feels absolutely safe and smooth) but isn`t as "dead silent" as mentioned. Sounds (besides the "donkey-like noise" when dirty) like a big panting dog while moving heavily, which is - according to the EXT-stuff - absolutely normal and doesn`t bother me at all. But should be mentioned for those, who like it quiet. All in all the best upgrade of my levo so far ...

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
Some short notes about my "new" e-Storia. Works well, makes a huge difference in bike-handling (feels absolutely safe and smooth) but isn`t as "dead silent" as mentioned. Sounds (besides the "donkey-like noise" when dirty) like a big panting dog while moving heavily, which is - according to the EXT-stuff - absolutely normal and doesn`t bother me at all. But should be mentioned for those, who like it quiet. All in all the best upgrade of my levo so far ...
Should have went with Avalanche Suspension. No unwanted noises, equally as premium and less coin

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles