Battery question

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I had some devastating news yesterday, the ablation procedure I was going to have on my back was cancelled last minute and has been put on hold until the 12th of June, this means another month of not riding my bike, I last used it in early February and I fully charged my battery after that ride, I’m worried now because I’m thinking it might knacker my battery up having it fully charged for such a long time, can someone please tell me I’m worrying unduly, I’ve got enough to worry about at the moment ☹️

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Sleepy The Wonder Years GIF by ABC Network

Seriously, it'll be fine. Concentrate on more pressing matters.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had some devastating news yesterday, the ablation procedure I was going to have on my back was cancelled last minute and has been put on hold until the 12th of June, this means another month of not riding my bike, I last used it in early February and I fully charged my battery after that ride, I’m worried now because I’m thinking it might knacker my battery up having it fully charged for such a long time, can someone please tell me I’m worrying unduly, I’ve got enough to worry about at the moment ☹️
Do you know a teenager, about 15-16? A son, grandson, nephew maybe? Let them borrow it for half an hour and it will be down to 60% or less without a doubt. I'm sure they will look after it! :unsure:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Sorry for the late reply guys, it’s been a really bad week for me mentally as well as physically, I don’t have anyone who I trust my bike with, I’ve got to the point where if it’s knackered I’ll just have to buy another one, thanks for your replies though guys 🙏

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Can you invert the bike or put on a cheap bike stand (that allows room for the pedals to revolve) and rig up a way to keep the walk button engaged, I've done this before when I was messing about with the derailleur but should solve your problem after a few hours and you become an honorary member of the Heath-Robinson club.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

It will be fine.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for your replies and suggestions of help, as if things couldn’t get any worse we had to have one of our pets put down yesterday too due to a tumour under her tongue and could not eat or drink, this was discovered a short while ago and we sought advice from our vet, it couldn’t be removed because she had a heart murmur too, all of a sudden my bike is the least of my worries 😢

Last edited:

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Thanks for your replies and suggestions of help, as if things couldn’t get any worse we had to have one of our pets put down yesterday too, all of a sudden my bike is the least of my worries 😢

That’s not good mate, feel for you. 🙁

Concentrate on what’s important, but your battery will be fine! 👍

PNW Rider

Jul 1, 2019
Pacific Northwest USA
The battery manufacturers recommend not leaving it 100% charged if you are going to store the bike for more than a few months. If you do will it completely ruin the battery...no. the life of the battery - the manufacturer claims - will be reduced by X percent.
Best to you on your surgery.

Ianz1

Apr 26, 2023
Whitianga
If it is a 36V battery, then full charge should be 42V and 50% about 36V. Rough guide lines, please dont shoot me. The way I discharge my batteries to reset them is to just connect a 240v old fashioned incandesent bulb to it. It takes a while as it is quite slow. The lamp will probably glow dimmly. Keep measuring the voltage until in the case of a 36V battery measures about 38v's. In its a shimano, this wont work as it needs to handshake with the charger or the bike. for the battery to switch on after a self test. Or turn the bike upside down or put it on a stand and let it run for a while.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I agree with other posters that in the grand scheme of things you shouldn't worry about it given what else you have going on. However, if you do get a moment to discharge it even a bit vai one of the methods listed above I would do so, as ~6 months at full chare is a long time and could have some meaningful effect. The total % of the time a pack spends at elevated SOC is one of the biggest determinant of cycle life in an ebike; if you ride every day (or even every other day) then I suppose charging to full after every ride probably doesn't do much harm, but for the majority of us that will result in some premature degradation of the pack.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
If it is a 36V battery, then full charge should be 42V and 50% about 36V. Rough guide lines, please dont shoot me. The way I discharge my batteries to reset them is to just connect a 240v old fashioned incandesent bulb to it. It takes a while as it is quite slow. The lamp will probably glow dimmly. Keep measuring the voltage until in the case of a 36V battery measures about 38v's. In its a shimano, this wont work as it needs to handshake with the charger or the bike. for the battery to switch on after a self test. Or turn the bike upside down or put it on a stand and let it run for a while.
It’s a 2020 Whyte e150rs V1, I’m not sure what voltage it is but it’s a 625 wAh battery 🙏 it doesn’t really matter now because I just tested positive for Covid and I’m confined to bed unable to get up without help, I’m a chronic asthmatic and it’s knocked me for six plus I’ve got a chest infection too, I envy people that don’t have underlying health issues and I don’t expect anyone who doesn’t suffer with asthma to understand how it feels, I’ve never had Covid so I didn’t know how it would effect me, I’ve had chest infections numerous times but this is on another level 🤞it clears up in time for my procedure in June.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles