Battery Lock Keys. Yes or No?

Your thoughts on keys to lock batteries on bikes?

• I think its a good thing and I like to lock my battery on the bike with a key

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • I think that its unnecessary, an Allen key would be better

Votes: 59 67.0%

• Total voters

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I made a video with my Trek Rail and I called out how I don't like the key to lock in the battery. Turns out some people like the battery key to lock it in. Personally I cant ever see a time when I will leave my bike unattended that it needs a key. It has more hassles than benefits to me personally. Who is stealing just a battery and not an entire bike?

Has anyone actually had a battery stolen from a bike that doesn't have a key?!

Do you want a key on your bike if you had a choice?

BOSCH-ABUS-POWERTUBE-LOCK-CYLINDER.jpg

Last edited:

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Supose it´s not a bairgain item, so I think could be an extra and save some € /$/ £ in the bike price. Realy not neaded for most of us.
Also we have to remenber to carry the key to workshop :LOL:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
With the price of batteries, I can see them fetching a good price on the bay, so yes I think the key is a good idea. On my Heckler with the Allen key release, it's tricky enough to delay the average thief with the struggle for a few seconds, but like you, I'm not leaving my bike out of my site for any time other than I'm picking myself out of the bush.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It used to annoy the hell out of me with my Shimano, trying to find the key - or remembering to take a key with me if I needed to take the battery off - even for a bike shop visit for instance - which might not have been a planned one before the ride.

Whilst they're expensive, so are many other parts on the bike - many of which have easy theft features like "quick release" .......

For the random low life who might just nick anything, most batteries would probably be too complicated to remove anyway, even with an allen key to hand if you weren't familiar.

For the professional, I'd imagine the battery locks would be defeated in seconds or for the brute force thief, a crowbar, hacksaw or angle grinder would soon have your bike destroyed to remove the golden egg from within. I think I'd rather just have to buy a new battery than find my bike lying on the floor in three pieces.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
For the random low life who might just nick anything, most batteries would probably be too complicated to remove anyway, even with an allen key to hand if you weren't familiar.
This exactly. The Merida E160 has an Allen key hidden in the rear axle QR release. How would a low life thief know this, and actually know how to remove the battery anyway?

Also, they weigh a lot. I believe the lock mechanism in the Giant weighs around 400 grams

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Any pro ‘battery thief’ would just take the whole bike.

It’s prob easier to wheel the battery down the road than carry it lol ?

The only time I can see it being useful is on the rack at services etc, but who would leave them unattended and on show?

Plenty transport in cars and vans too so for me the lock is a bit of a gimmick

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Luckily for me I have Specialized so no keys ? your video was brilliant Rob the key bit had me in stitches
Totally agree tho keys seam like Pita !!!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Also, they weigh a lot. I believe the lock mechanism in the Giant weighs around 400 grams
I think @DrStupid weighed his ?? Was something crazy like that.

Could it be a cultural thing or an evolution thing ? We started primarily with external batteries (which could have been held in place with an Allen Bolt). If they'd have been just on a quick release lever, then maybe that would have crossed the line into "Just tooo Easy to steal even just from someone being a dick" . Have battery locks just stayed with us because that's how it was done, so they just carried on, rather than re-thinking it ?

You'd imagine something like an AXS dropper would be much more nickable and they normally come with a bonus saddle ! A really short thief could discretely limp off down the road with it using it as a pirate crutch.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
They're a complete waste of time on a mountain bike thats used as a mountain bike, another thing to go wrong/seize up/add weight/lose the key . I can see the point on a commuter bike though, or a mountain bike used for commuting - but who in their right mind would leave their4/5/6k mountain bike locked up out of their sight - round here it would last about 20 minutes before being stolen.

I've been looking for ways to remove mine and just replace with something like a cable tie to pull the latch mechanism to release it, but havent been succesful so far, although I'm convinced it should be possible.

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
They're a complete waste of time on a mountain bike thats used as a mountain bike, another thing to go wrong/seize up/add weight/lose the key . I can see the point on a commuter bike though.

I've been looking for ways to remove mine and just replace with something like a cable tie to pull the latch mechanism to release it, but havent been succesful so far

???? Yeah makes sense on a commuter bike I guess.

Someone should make a lock converter, if they really weigh 400kg, the money people spend on trying to save weight they will sell like hot cakes. And on the £1k for 1kg theory I’ve read ? someone will make a fortune ???

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
???? Yeah makes sense on a commuter bike I guess.

Someone should make a lock converter, if they really weigh 400kg, the money people spend on trying to save weight they will sell like hot cakes. And on the £1k for 1kg theory I’ve read ? someone will make a fortune ???

Think the lock mechanism on a bosch internal battery bike - not the latch, just the lock is only something like 50-100g, so not a massive big deal in terms of weight in this case

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Hi @Rob Rides EMTB. Just seen your Trek Rail You Tube video where you talk about this. Personally I prefer the key as it adds another layer of buggerment for the scally and IMHO less faff than an allen key. Those with allen key bolts, do you ever worry about the bolt coming loose, over tightening the bolt or the thread wearing out with over use?

As an aside my battery, motor and Kiox are all paired so presumably one would not work without the other. It would be interested to know if such a set up would allow to do a battery swap.

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I guess a key is a part deterrent after the event, I'd be suspicious of a seller who had no receipts and no battery keys

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m sure it won’t be long until we start seeing biometric fingerprint scanners built into the battery removal buttons, as well as other consumer grade electronic gizmos built into the bikes. Sat nav built into frames, alarm & locking systems etc

Commuter e-bikes will probably lead the way in terms of electronics’ technological advances as e-bikes become more affordable to the masses. Take a look at the technology on the Vanmoof S3 for instance. Some of this technology will filter to the EMTB market too, in my opinion

For now, yeah keys are a pain in the arse!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Has anyone actually had a battery stolen from a bike that doesn't have a key?!

Do you want a key on your bike if you had a choice?

No, and I've never heard of anyone having one stolen either.

No, its something else to go missing or have to carry for the risk mitigation which can't be that high.

If a bike is going to be left alone for long enough to have the battery stolen, the thieves could easily take the vast majority of other bike components as well as the battery which aren't key locked.

If bike manufacturers wanted to be clever, just code the battery to the bike (as many modern cars do).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On an EMTB no, but if I was using an EBike for commuting or getting around town then I would want a lock on the battery

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
The keys seem useful for cheap(er) ebikes that might get locked up in town, but for a mtb that won't get left unattended it's a stupid idea.

My Bosch lock always freezes up on a cold day meaning I can't swap the battery out mid ride. I've also driven to a biking location and was unable to fit the battery into the frame, so had to drive back home and take the bike inside to let it warm up! :mad:

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Personally I prefer the key as it adds another layer of buggerment for the scally and IMHO less faff than an allen key. Those with allen key bolts, do you ever worry about the bolt coming loose, over tightening the bolt or the thread wearing out with over use?

The battery locking mechanism is quite convenient if you have to often remove the battery. I don't see much difference if the key would be replaced with a allen key. An allen key bolt doesn't sound a solution that lasts time.

The locking mechanism might be just an one universal solution for all of the bikes e.g Trek bikes. Could be a feature that EMTB first time buyer gives value when buying a heavy and expensive bicycle with ridiculously priced 600 euros battery.

Last edited:

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
It seems dumb to have a key to lock the battery when there is no key or other security to lock the bike.
I never understood why an immobiliser isn't available on most ebikes - the key could be just an electronic fob that enables the electronics - it wouldn't be to hard to design the system that locked the crank too or used power to increase resistance of pedalling to prevent the bike being ridden off or rendering it useless without the key if it was picked up and taken.
Pre-determined theft is very hard to combat but opportunistic theft is much easier to prevent.
Protecting a bespoke item is weird when proprietary items of similar value are not protected.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I don’t even need the main battery to be easily removable as long as there are extender batteries. Just like the Levo SL

i hope the next generation FF Levo will have the same concept as the SL as far as battery integration goes. It’s a cleaner look. 700wh or more plus extender batteries would be awesome

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I vote neither as I can't get my battery out without pulling the bike apart and dropping the motor. Now who thought non removable batteries were a good idea....

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Option to lock it.

I dont think it'll stop street thieves a simple to screw driver to bust the whole lock (but remember when satnavs/radios were always stolen?). Its more to deter (errm how to say politely) dodgy acquaintances or shops from swapping their duff battery for yours.

Of coarse this could be 100% made redundant if you could electronically lock your battery to your motor via an app just like phones are locked to networks/user accounts. Security without the need for a key or a lock that could seize.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Those with allen key bolts, do you ever worry about the bolt coming loose, over tightening the bolt or the thread wearing out with over use?

These could be a solution
20x-panel-fasteners-m6-c-clips-spire-clip-stainless-bolts-motorbike-fairing-10582-p.jpg

They use them in cars loads anywhere a failure would be common or expensive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles