Battery life

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
Yamaha battery, 4 years old, more, than 500 charging cycles, about 7000 miles, riden only at maximum assist level with derestricted motor - the battery still works as good as at the day 1 when I bought my EMTB new.
Interested in average range you get and how many wah is the battery? Assuming a syncdrive sport or pro motor?

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
Yes, I do about this mileage commuting to work back and forth, then I charge the battery completely. It is not drained to zero after 14 miles, but Yamaha battery management system counts it as about one charge if I charge it after 14 miles. I do not know the exact calculating algorithm Yamaha uses, I know if I charge the battery from above 50 % to 100% it counts it as 1/2 of a charge cycle. You can check amount of charges on the battery. Maybe somewhere below 50% to 100% charge it counts as one charging cycle, and this is my case, after 14-18 miles commute the battery has maybe around 15-25% left, and if I charge it to 100% the battery management system counts it as one single charge cycle.

But the bicycle is capable to run 20-25 miles on fully charged battery at maximum assist level and this is what I usually have when I ride it on weekends up to the limit.

Last edited:

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
Y
When we need 500 charges to cover 7,000 miles it comes to 14 miles per charge
if i did not do a math mistake?
Yes but Max assist level..... range per charge has too many variables to be meaningful at all. I am more interested in the longevity of these batteries. The marketing spin from shimano for example has been claiming 1000 charge cycles before noticeable degradation!!!! I call that an outrite lie of epic proportions. I mean did they actually test this??? I havnt seen 1 post from anyone getting to 1000 cycles yet. And when I see figures around 60 cycles and down to 85% etc you really think they will make 1000 cycles??? I am guessing shimano never thought people would reach this during the warranty time frame and they were right. 2 years in and 100 cycles for me if I had only 1 battery...could I have reached 1000 cycles in 2 years, not a chance in hell.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I am just a guy who enjoy the outdoors so i am no expert.
2 years ago i had an Haibike/Yamaha so it was kind of speak
a full Yamaha nothing specific coming from Haibike.
It got stolen, sniff.
11 months ago i got a new 2020 Giant/Yamaha and like my previous Ebike
all good. I guess most know Giant has some stuff that is different, Yamaha
allows manufacturers to only use use part of their system.
I am not surprised that all numbers are not fully accurate.
Thanks for sharing your input.

I agree the 1000 cycles might be a possibility for a user that would
use it untill it dies but my understanding is we can expect a decent
performance from 100% down to 70% so some BS on the internet
no big surprise.
There is no need to pay extra for some heavy bike.
I can just carry 20 pounds of potatoes.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Done 3000miles on battery and 2nd motor, took bike to shop to check battery life as only 3weeks left until end of warranty.
It had 75 charge cycles and 53% capacity.
Sent to madison for warranty claim which they agreed and told the shop it should be at least 80% after 1000 cycles or 2 years.
Update.
Received new battery last week going to give it a run out tomorrow. Taken about 3 weeks to turn around.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Good for you
Well maybe not!
I have charged the new battery twice, and i am not impressed.
Given when the bike was new in 2019 it managed a 28mile ride around mam tor and 4000ft of elevation, reasonable boost and trail use and was in the red at the end.
With the new battery, it did 22miles and 1900ft around the north downs last weekend, (not as steep or as long climbs) and it was well into the 4th bar.
1st two bars got around 14 miles mostly in eco. Nothing like the distance i was getting in 2019. After having read another thread on here i just wonder if the updates in firmware cause the range loss.
I will take it back to LBS and get them to check new battery to make sure its not a duff one.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Well maybe not!
I have charged the new battery twice, and i am not impressed.
Given when the bike was new in 2019 it managed a 28mile ride around mam tor and 4000ft of elevation, reasonable boost and trail use and was in the red at the end.
With the new battery, it did 22miles and 1900ft around the north downs last weekend, (not as steep or as long climbs) and it was well into the 4th bar.
1st two bars got around 14 miles mostly in eco. Nothing like the distance i was getting in 2019. After having read another thread on here i just wonder if the updates in firmware cause the range loss.
I will take it back to LBS and get them to check new battery to make sure its not a duff one.
I guess you are on similar tires? I never do updates i have read mix results with them.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I guess you are on similar tires? I never do updates i have read mix results with them.
Yep same as when new. No i agree it only had one update, but the LBS had to update it to get the old battery life.
Is there any way the LBS can roll it back to a previous version?

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
Approx 8000km on 4.5yr old battery. Original E8000.
Just bought a new bt-e8010, arrived today. Range was around half of what i used to get.
Interesting to see on the bottom of the new battery that the cells are produced in Singapore and the pack assembled in China.
My old original battery from 2017 had cells produced in Japan and assembled in China.
I hope i get the same longevity out of this new battery.

Screenshot_20211028-180214_STEPS Unlocker.jpg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My Shimano BT-E8035 is on 79% battery health after 60 charge cycles. Mileage on the bike is 2,300

The range has dropped, but not by 21%
l would say l am now getting 30 miles where originally it was around 35 miles.
That's mainly on "trail" and ridden as fast as l can go most of the time.

Bike is US specification so assist up to 20mph

l've bought a second battery, and will send the original back under warranty if it's "health" drops any more.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
My Shimano BT-E8035 is on 79% battery health after 60 charge cycles. Mileage on the bike is 2,300

The range has dropped, but not by 21%
l would say l am now getting 30 miles where originally it was around 35 miles.
That's mainly on "trail" and ridden as fast as l can go most of the time.

Bike is US specification so assist up to 20mph

l've bought a second battery, and will send the original back under warranty if it's "health" drops any more.
I am surprised you did not ask your shop for a free battery, i would have.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
They don't have any, and there's no definite delivery date!

The plan is, to use the new battery l've bought, return the faulty one, and then sell the replacement when it finally arrives.

That way, l won't be without a bike for months.

Last year l took my regular MTB in for a service, they sent the shock off to Fox and it took four MONTHS to get it back due to parts availability

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I've done 12000kms on my norco in 2yr9mths. It doesn't state charge cycles as it s a simplo battery but states battery health 94%. I'm dubious as I used to get a about 70ks with a mix of eco and trail and now riding the same areas I get about 50ks

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I've done 12000kms on my norco in 2yr9mths. It doesn't state charge cycles as it s a simplo battery but states battery health 94%. I'm dubious as I used to get a about 70ks with a mix of eco and trail and now riding the same areas I get about 50ks
I would not trust the 94%. I would find from a different source. I guess you are on Shimano?
They had complaints about shorter lives than expected. Your shop probably is tooled to look at it.
You might get a free battery, good luck.(That is if everything is equal, same tires, same weight)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles