Battery issue - 3 red leds flashing and beeping

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
Hi,

My 2018 Turbo Levo has been stored for 3 weeks with around 50% charge. When I wanted to refill, the battery would stop charging (no led) and when turned on, the first 3 leds were red, flashing and beeping. (even when not connected to the motor)
I tried a few times with same results.

Screenshot 2019-01-05 08.19.33.png

Yesterday I tried again before going to my LBS and all was normal. Good charge, all green. I just did not ride it yet.

I wonder if this could be a one time issue and never again.
Did it happen to any of you ?

Pistol Pete

Feb 28, 2019
Calabasas
I am having the same problem on my 2017 Levo Expert. I made it go away once before by switching battery chargers but now it’s back. ALSO, the battery is no longer displaying its charge level, just the boost setting. That said, it otherwise works normally - the blinking three red lights and accompanying beeping go away with the first peddle stroke and the range is same as normal.

Weeds

Mar 5, 2019
Leavenworth, WA
I just had this same thing, 3 red lights. The mission control app says imbalanced cell. I was leaving the bike at my lbs for a spring tune up when it happened. The Levo person was not at the shop so he will look at later. I will post up when I get an answer.

Weeds

Mar 5, 2019
Leavenworth, WA
The LBS called and said the battery is shot with 645 charges left. We will see how good the warranty is. I bought the bike from a different dealer as a demo with 10 charges on the battery. My receipt identifies the bike as a demo. The bike was registered with Specialized within one day of the purchase.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I just had my first case of the 3 flashing red LEDs at my shop. No problem Specialized sent a new one out no questions asked.

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Hi guys I have exactly same issue with my battery .After 3 months storage (was charged on 70%) when I plugged charger it stopped charging and now I have 3 blinking red led's .Anyone solved this issue ? My bike still shoud be in warranty but shop want me to bring whole bike and I have installed and wired range extender also using blevo so I'm not sure if warranty will work for me .What is best solution for this issue should I contact specialized directly or try local shop ? Thx

Fred campbell

Sep 30, 2021
Northern ireland
I have now had this problem twice and have had one good result from my LBS. FIRST time I had been riding my bike regularly and even though I had just ridden my bike two days previously, it wouldn’t charge. Three flashing lights and bleeping. Lbs said battery was shot. My bike was out of warranty. However after a few day lbs contacted me to say they had been in contact with Specialized and they said “it shouldn’t have happened”. I was given a new battery and just paid a small charge for shipping or handling. I didn’t question this as I was saving £700. However, my second experience was not so good. My bike had been laid up for quite a few months. It had been fully charged but when I went to check the charge I again got the three flashing lights and bleeping. The battery had only 20 charges max. This time my lbs said the battery was shot and (to cut a long story short) Specialized agreed to supply a new battery on an “assisted purchase” basis whereby I paid £450 as opposed to £750.
While it’s not the perfect solution I though I was lucky the first time with the free replacement so I paid the £450 and now my bike is working well.
What I’vebeen told is that if you are not using your bike / battery you need to keep it charged up occasionally otherwise it goes into a “brown state” which is pretty much the colour of shit. So be aware. Keep your battery charged and used occasionally when your bike (or you) are laid up.
Hope this helps someone and I’d be interested if anyone has a hack to rejuvenate my old “flashing lights” battery.

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
I have now had this problem twice and have had one good result from my LBS. FIRST time I had been riding my bike regularly and even though I had just ridden my bike two days previously, it wouldn’t charge. Three flashing lights and bleeping. Lbs said battery was shot. My bike was out of warranty. However after a few day lbs contacted me to say they had been in contact with Specialized and they said “it shouldn’t have happened”. I was given a new battery and just paid a small charge for shipping or handling. I didn’t question this as I was saving £700. However, my second experience was not so good. My bike had been laid up for quite a few months. It had been fully charged but when I went to check the charge I again got the three flashing lights and bleeping. The battery had only 20 charges max. This time my lbs said the battery was shot and (to cut a long story short) Specialized agreed to supply a new battery on an “assisted purchase” basis whereby I paid £450 as opposed to £750.
While it’s not the perfect solution I though I was lucky the first time with the free replacement so I paid the £450 and now my bike is working well.
What I’vebeen told is that if you are not using your bike / battery you need to keep it charged up occasionally otherwise it goes into a “brown state” which is pretty much the colour of shit. So be aware. Keep your battery charged and used occasionally when your bike (or you) are laid up.
Hope this helps someone and I’d be interested if anyone has a hack to rejuvenate my old “flashing lights” battery.
I just had the same three red lights , 2018 Levo . The battery is 90% charged . After checking connections etc , I connected the cable , turned the battery on , three red lights flashing , then turned the crank forwards about five turns quickly and the lights turned green . I turned it off and on several times to check and all is working again as it should . This might help someone with the same problem .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles