Levo Gen 2 Battery in winter

TahoeMtns

Nov 2, 2020
Truckee
I live in a cold winter climate. Have 2 Levos stored in a shed in backyard. It gets below freezing at night. Are the bike batteries OK storing in the winter? Should I remove the batteries and bring them inside for the winter? Store them under my pillow? Please advise.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Oh I see, you wanna store it during longer periods during winter. While it's not good to start a ride with very cold battery or charge very cold battery it should be no problem to store it in a shed at lower temps. However manual says you should remove it from the bike during long term storage, me personally I would defenetelly keep it inside:

Screenshot_20201109_200647.jpg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Not at all, you have to just undo one bolt and it will slide right out from the frame. But to pull the battery out you have to either lift your bike in a working stand or put it to the floor sideways or turn it upside down.

Screenshot_20201109_202345.jpg

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Better to store inside >0c/32f; but if you are storing outside, wrap the battery/downtube in thickish blankets which will help.

Specialized warrant the battery down to -20c/-4f for storage, what they dont state is the actual deterioration from doing so.

If you're leaving the bike for over a couple of weeks, take it inside and store around 60%-80% charge.

Don't charge below 0c/32f - in fact keep it above 10c.

If the shed has electricity, you could run a very small oil filled radiator at a low setting to warm the shed up above freezing. But insert usual caveats about fire/safety/blowing sh** up etc...

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Not at all, you have to just undo one bolt and it will slide right out from the frame. But to pull the battery out you have to either lift your bike in a working stand or put it to the floor sideways or turn it upside down.

View attachment 44022
Good tips! I felt like a bumbling idiot trying to slot mine in and out the first time (while the bike was standing). Could you include a link to the site where you got these from?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles