Battery firmware update 2022

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You can see more accurate battery capacity in Blevo.

Last edited:

DKO

Apr 15, 2022
Bay Area, CA
Took my 2020 Gen2 to LBS today and they upgraded both 700W and 500W batteries (for free!). The tech said even though it's "only a battery firmware", it does update something on the motor side, per his update tool he ran on his laptop. The firmware revision on the motor did not increment after the update, so I suspect probably some internal configuration on the motor side was adjusted). So, bring your bike to LBS, not just your batteries!

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Took my 2020 Gen2 to LBS today and they upgraded both 700W and 500W batteries (for free!). The tech said even though it's "only a battery firmware", it does update something on the motor side, per his update tool he ran on his laptop. The firmware revision on the motor did not increment after the update, so I suspect probably some internal configuration on the motor side was adjusted). So, bring your bike to LBS, not just your batteries!
I am not sure if I want to have this upgrade honestly. Nothing is clear. If it is a battery update I doubt also the motor firmware will be touched. Maybe it will be influenced though.

Clearly here the changelog for this update is not contributing to understand if it makes sense. I also don’t see spesh rushing us to update as a critical update.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Can you share the source of this information?
Saw it on specialized levo and kenevo forum.
My mistake though, Information was from belevo.

Screenshot_20221119-234316_Facebook.jpg

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I think the displayed Wh values (659, 604) and the Health value (94%) are *estimates*, not measurements. Changing the estimate does not change the actual amount of energy stored in the battery. IOW, you didn't lose anything. You just have a new estimate for your battery energy storage. Spesh must think the new estimate is more accurate.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I thought about this some more. Suppose I have a gasoline/petrol car that displays miles-to-empty. Every time I fill up, the display says 300 miles. Then I take the car in for service and the dealer says they did a software update. Now the display shows 280 miles to empty after I fill the tank. The tank size didn't change. I didn't lose any range.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
But people have been loosing range. I'll see if I can find it, think it was on the turbo levo and kenevo forum.
I’ve had the update and thought my range was better than normal after a ride in 4.c temperatures yesterday.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
AFAIK, li-ion batteries will be permanently damaged (reduced capacity) if you discharge them too far. Again AFAIK, the only way to determine the amount of remaining charge in a li-ion battery is to measure it's output voltage. When the voltage falls to some level, let's call it the cutoff voltage, the software will step in and turn off power to the motor.

Spesh may have revised the battery monitor firmware to increase the cutoff voltage, e.g. (I'm making up some example numbers) maybe the old cutoff was 35 volts and the new cutoff is 36 volts. This would decrease your range, but it would be done to protect the battery from permanent damage.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Now the display shows 280 miles to empty after I fill the tank. The tank size didn't change. I didn't lose any range.

It will also prevent you from attempting to overfill the gas tank which is very important in the case of batteries. Over charging is bad bad bad

Puffy

Nov 26, 2022
Virginia
I did the update and haven’t noticed any big difference BUT I have had Mission Control lock up on me when starting a ride . It’s done that twice now. I have to restart the app AND restart the bike to get things to communicate. Anyone else noticing this lock-up problem?

Sworkslevo_nj

Nov 20, 2022
WEST CALDWELL NJ UNITED STATES
I def noticed a decrease in battery life since the update now my ep8 on my sc bullit blows away the brose setup on my sworks levo 2022 with same spec settings on our local trail loop , ride mainly in eco with some trail 20 miles 2k elev , levo finished with 39% remaining and my ep8 on the bullit 70% remaining somthing is def not right with this update my local shop updated my levo 2 days ago photo of my firmware enclosed

50A5DECB-BB9E-4260-81AA-FE22A0E2DC75.jpeg 7C258DD4-2AA3-48D0-A293-CAE52A22F90B.png

Last edited:

ian408

Dec 1, 2020
Silicon Valley
I looked to see when BLevo was updated. According to the App Store, the latest version is 3.7.9 and was released in June of 2022. So, technically, it is out of synch with the Specialized app/updates.

Anyone think that might have something to do with BLevo's difference in reporting?

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
Now it‘s out, it’s also a prerequisite to enable the 80% battery charge limit, that can be enabled/disabled in the latest app version

BATTERY FIRMWARE RELEASES

Bike:
Levo MY19-22 / Kenevo MY20-21

Battery firmware x.6.6

Release date: 15/11/2022

Features:
  • Improved algorithm for battery state of charge calculation
  • Support for battery health optimization
    • Enables “Charge Limit” feature (released 14/02/2023 in Mission Control 3.11 onwards)
  • Improved battery diagnostic capabilities (retailer tools)
Fixes:

• Bug Fix to battery health status shown in app

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Now it‘s out, it’s also a prerequisite to enable the 80% battery charge limit, that can be enabled/disabled in the latest app version

BATTERY FIRMWARE RELEASES

Bike:
Levo MY19-22 / Kenevo MY20-21

Battery firmware x.6.6

Release date: 15/11/2022

Features:
  • Improved algorithm for battery state of charge calculation
  • Support for battery health optimization
    • Enables “Charge Limit” feature (released 14/02/2023 in Mission Control 3.11 onwards)
  • Improved battery diagnostic capabilities (retailer tools)
Fixes:

• Bug Fix to battery health status shown in app

Do you need to have the dealer update the battery firmware first?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles