Bafang M560

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
seems like m600 ,but with magnezium housing 3.3 kg weight.There is one member in the forum who is expecting this motor for testing.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
seems like m600 ,but with magnezium housing 3.3 kg weight.There is one member in the forum who is expecting this motor for testing.
Sorry if there is an existing thread. Searching "m560" only yields this one ;)

Can you direct me to the thread or member who knows about it?

Thanks!

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
there is no thread, you are the first one! ;)
But i know about this motor from a member in this forum.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Savas, if 750W nominal it will be 1200W max. ;) So this will be similar to BBS02 - 750W.
I am looking forward. Imagine 43V firmware in it ... ;)

And who is that "member" ?

Tilt

Dec 12, 2022
France
J'attends ce moteur pour un prochain fatbike légerJ'attends ce moteur pour un prochain fatbike léger

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Sounds like a moped motor more than an e-mtb motor.
Is the m620 a moped motor? (he asks rhetorically ;)

I guess I'm excited about Bafang releasing a light-ish eMTB motor that can compete with the Brose in a climb The m510 does not come close and the m600 can but only with use of the throttle, not with pedals alone.

I'm personally hoping that the M560 will allow a rider to keep up on a long climb (not a sprint) with the Brose with pedal-input only AND be user-tuneable.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Mate M510 must overperform brose. I am seeing 800W! You just need to have good firmware and good setup.

And if M560 will have 750W nominal, that will ge 1200W max. So you can not compare with legal kids motors. ;)))

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Mate M510 must overperform brose.

I can't speak to the M510 because I don't have one, but my general understanding is that the m510 is weaker IN a CLIMB than the m600, at least out of the box. Correct me if I'm wrong.

let me be clear i'm only talking about LONG SLOW CLIMBING.

I can say for SURE the m600 is weaker than the Brose with "current" firmware while in IN A CLIMB WITHOUT THROTTLE.

To be clear the M600 can kinda keep up in a climb with the Brose when you add full throttle but using throttle like that in climbing conditions has left me with some broken chains (yes I lube and clean!) because the throttle can be added too easily.

I'm just hoping for smooth power transitions from the use of pedals only to keep up with my friends on the Brose with the same bolt pattern as the M600!

Also @Dado are people commonly getting 800w from the m510?! Does that come with overheating issues that would prevent a long slow climb in hot weather?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I can say for SURE the m600 is weaker than the Brose with "current" firmware while in IN A CLIMB WITHOUT THROTTLE.
I disagree, my M600 without throttle will keep up with the Brose's of my friends Specialized turbos fairly comfortably and I suspect that it maybe a tad more powerful. But I do have a caveat, I run mine on a 52 volt setup and can see well over 1000W's on a full power climb ( which I very rarely ever need to do ).

Something is common with the Bafang series over the Brose, you need a much higher cadence. The Brose will pull away from nothing, the M600 needs to get up to at least 60rpm cadence before it will really put in the Watts. I'm presuming that Bafang did this to prevent damage to the PEEK gear which initially was being damaged ( replaced by a steel gear in some early motors ).

Last edited:

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Really looking forward to hear real world reviews on this motor! If it has the same tunability as the newest m510 but can give more torque in lower cadence that will be a big improvement! M510 was a huge improvement over m500, but still lacks in the climbing department imo.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Really looking forward to hear real world reviews on this motor! If it has the same tunability as the newest m510 but can give more torque in lower cadence that will be a big improvement! M510 was a huge improvement over m500, but still lacks in the climbing department imo.
Interesting that you mention in low cadence that the M510 doesn't climb well, which must mean that in order to get the 95Nm out of it you have to keep your cadence on the higher side. Max cadence is 120rpm, so I guessing that you have to be 80rpm or higher to get the Nm out of it.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
It just feels like m510 lacks some grunt on the climbs comparing to Bosch Gen 4. Maybe has something to do with the windings of the motor and reduction rate. And yes, I am actively changing gears in a timely manner. But still I feel there's lots of room for improvement there.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Would you say that the M510 95Nm is not a true 95Nm?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
It's not quite the 'M620 killer'. But I suspect it'll soon replace the M600 on future emtb's who licence bafang motors.
Dengfu and Frey will be using this motor on upcoming frames. Unclear as to other brands.
But it is worth mentioning that this motor is considered a class 3 motor (not a 250w nominal motor).

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
It would be great if someone who had access to all of the Bafang motor line could do a review and compare of the the following motors:
M820
M600
M510
M560
M620 (The Beast of a motor)

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
I disagree, my M600 without throttle will keep up with the Brose's of my friends Specialized turbos fairly comfortably and I suspect that it maybe a tad more powerful. But I do have a caveat, I run mine on a 52 volt setup and can see well over 1000W's on a full power climb ( which I very rarely ever need to do ).

You bike is highly modified! Us stockers are seeing different performance. ;)

I do see 750 watts but only when I add throttle - never on pedal alone. My cadence is over 60rpm FWIW.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
It's not quite the 'M620 killer'. But I suspect it'll soon replace the M600 on future emtb's who licence bafang motors.
Dengfu and Frey will be using this motor on upcoming frames. Unclear as to other brands.
But it is worth mentioning that this motor is considered a class 3 motor (not a 250w nominal motor).
You said they will be using for upcoming frames? Just looking at the image I would say it's the same bolt pattern as on m510/m600. Overall it seems it's the reworked m600 that was modified the same way m500 turned into m510. They even used to call it m610... These are of course just assumptions, so if you have different info I am curious to learn.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Here's the good news: It looks like the M560 is a drop-in replacement for the M600. Bolt pattern/wiring looks the same.

Motor Comparison.jpg

I had suspected that Bafang would make a "M600 replacement". When the M620 turned out to be quite a different beast I lobbed a note into Chili Shen to let me know when she hears about any M600 replacement. She pinged me when she learned about the M560 and that's why I OP'd this thread.

Disclaimer: these two images are from Bafang. It looks like THEY photoshopped the "M560" on the image of the m600 so take that FWIW. The point is I THINK the pattern is the same, and the M560 is essentially the result of Bafang giving the the M600 some better internals and more software control like the M510.

I'd imagine the M560 will bolt/plug into anyone's e10, yield more power, and provide app/software control.

love it.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
It would be great if someone who had access to all of the Bafang motor line could do a review and compare of the the following motors:
M820
M600
M510
M560
M620 (The Beast of a motor)
No full review but ill tell you my take... (notice I reordered by power

M820 = Low power (250w/75Nm) AND low weight - best used with light bikes - comparable in philosophy to Bosch "CX" line - configurable

M510 = A Good choice for EU or other places with a limit on power (250w/95Nm) more power than the m820 but also a bit heavier - configurable - shares bolt pattern with the m600 and m560

M600 = intended to be compatible with Bosch Performance Line (500w/120Nm) but falls short on up-hill power because it requires too high cadence to deliver power in a sustained climb (obsoleted by m560?) - NOT configurable.

M560 (soon to be released) = Drop-in replacement for the M600 (same bolt pattern as m600 and m510) Great power at 750w/140Nm with a configurable design. Magnesium case delivers weight savings over the m600 and m620. (NOTE this motor may be LOUD due to steel internal gearing) only .3kg heavier than the m510!

M620 = Tank of a motor. Climbs like a beast but heavy as fuck. Chews up Amp hours but delivers power (1000w/160Nm). Great for fat tire, cargo or emtbs with no intention of leaving the ground. For reference the m560 is HALF the weight of this boat anchor with 75% the power.

To sum up

m820 if you're a weight weenie, God love ya but build a LIGHT bike to take full advantage.
m510 if you live in a restricted country AND are afraid of the bike police
m560 if you want (what seems to be) the best balance of weight/power/configurability
m620 if power is your only goal and weight does not matter

M600 obsoleted by the m560

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
You bike is highly modified! Us stockers are seeing different performance. ;)

I do see 750 watts but only when I add throttle - never on pedal alone. My cadence is over 60rpm FWIW.
I see 800w max on my M510 FC 2.0 without throttle. Never had problem with steep climbing on level 4/5 level assist. Can tune it via besst pro.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles