Bafang m510

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Zimmer, could u check on Vitus, when starts power limitation?
Ok. I'll try and take it out later and run it down. What are you monitoring for limitstions ? Peak watts reducing (I can see on the 245) or peak amp draw limits (I can see in GO) ?

Previously it felt like it reduced at 10% then a big reduction at 5. I hadn't really noticed anything before that, but might not have been using peak power.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Yes, best is to check current at max power, what usually displays dont show. :( Try app.

But Bafang finally managed how to lineary ramp down current - woohoo. Till now there was just power jumps at 30,20,10%. How hard is to multiply current output function with power limitation function?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Great ride .. Unfortunately I found a really cool Rock garden and broke my phone .. So couldn't see amps.

Switched to just watching Watts on the display.

Above 30% was 560-580 ish peaks in "T" (3).
29% .... pretty much the same.
25% .. slightly less.
19% .. 540w ish

So no big step downs with the Vitus Firmware, only what you'd expect with the voltage dropping.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Great ride .. Unfortunately I found a really cool Rock garden and broke my phone .. So couldn't see amps.

25% .. slightly less.
19% .. 540w ish

So no big step downs with the Vitus Firmware, only what you'd expect with the voltage dropping.
Interesting. I see up to 700W with my 14A firmware…

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
This is the power limitation ramp down for 48V v10.1
And current regulation is really precise now.
1696601295228.png

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava

25% .. slightly less.
19% .. 540w ish

So same power limitation as original bafang firmware.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So same power limitation as original bafang firmware.
Why ?

There did not seem to be any power limits at fixed %'s. Only the reduction you'd expect with the voltage dropping of the battery.

The only "limits" seem to be at 10% and 5% which both have significant and noticeable reductions.

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
@raggertje @Dado @temon10 @Timmy65

So I got my FC2.0 controller fitted and finally manged to upload a 48V firmware (MMG522C4814F802010.1).
Quick test ride revealed that the power seems to be 'smoother' and no 'on-off' feeling that the FC1.0 controller had 😁 (y)
Interestingly the motor is now more 'whiny' which I really don't understand, as I haven't touched anything 'mechanical' in the motor?

Problem is that I can ride for a few minutes and then the power just stops :confused: No error codes and no loose wires.
If I switch the display off then immediately back on again the power is back, but then 2 minutes later, no power again....
If I put heavy pressure on the cranks (when pedals level i.e. in a horizontal position), the power returns (no need to switch the display off and on) :unsure:

So I'm wondering if:-
a) I need to recalibrated the controller / torque sensor? or
b) the FC2.0 controller is indeed not compatible with the FC1.0 torque sensor?

Is anyone successfully running an M510 with an FC2.0 controller and FC1.0 (SRxxxxx serial number) torque sensor?
So Chili Shen sent a second (brand new this time) FC2.0 controller to replace the original one which I suspected was faulty, due to the fact that I couldn't read the serial number or calibrate the position sensor via BESST .
The new replacement controller works as expected with no issues reading the serial number or calibrating it.

I can also 100% confirm that the FC2.0 controller works just fine with the original FC1.0 (SRxxxxxx serial numbered) torque sensor and would not hesitate in recommending the change to all FC1.0 motor owners. The motor characteristics are night and day different with the FC2.0 controller. Gone are the "on-off" power fluctuations :D which was my biggest annoyance with the FC1.0 controller.

I'm currently running the 10.1 firmware which works just fine out of the box, but I will tinker with the power settings especially in the first 2 levels, as they are slightly too high for my type of riding.

Happy days.

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
So Chili Shen sent a second (brand new this time) FC2.0 controller to replace the original one which I suspected was faulty, due to the fact that I couldn't read the serial number or calibrate it to my torque sensor via BESST .
The new replacement controller works as expected with no issues reading the serial number or calibrating it.

I can also 100% confirm that the FC2.0 controller works just fine with the original FC1.0 (SRxxxxxx serial numbered) torque sensor and would not hesitate in recommending the change to all FC1.0 motor owners. The motor characteristics are night and day different with the FC2.0 controller. Gone are the "on-off" power fluctuations :D which was my biggest annoyance with the FC1.0 controller.

I'm currently running the 10.1 firmware which works just fine out of the box, but I will tinker with the power settings especially in the first 2 levels, as they are slightly too high for my type of riding.

Happy days.
+1. I confirm also. you just need to replace controler on FC1.0 to have motor who functioning as well than FC20 and you can also adjust all parameters for each level with BESSTpro

Andy5

Apr 10, 2023
Czech republic
+1. I confirm also. you just need to replace controler on FC1.0 to have motor who functioning as well than FC20 and you can also adjust all parameters for each level with BESSTpro
Did you do calibration of motor position sensor and torque sensor successfuly after this controller exchange in Besst? I changed faulty torque sensor GR... in motor with FC 2.0 controller and torque sensor calibration was not possible, but motor works well after exchange.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Did you do calibration of motor position sensor and torque sensor successfuly after this controller exchange in Besst? I changed faulty torque sensor GR... in motor with FC 2.0 controller and torque sensor calibration was not possible, but motor works well after exchange.
only position sensor calibration. torque sensor calibration as always fail with all M510 that i have tested

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
You have not afraid that your shunt move sometime ? personally i prefer weld the 2 cables inside the battery
Not really, it's firmly pressed by the platic cover, which is screwed on to the battery. Other than the cover blowing away, which I don't see how can that possibly happen, I cannot picture how it will move from where it is. The other possitive thing about a non destructive fix, is that, if for whatever reason the bridge wire moves during a ride, you simply turn the switch on (I haven't removed the switch). And the other obvious advantage, is that you maintain your battery's warranty (which I actually don't count on in my case, but for others might)

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
So Chili Shen sent a second (brand new this time) FC2.0 controller to replace the original one which I suspected was faulty, due to the fact that I couldn't read the serial number or calibrate the position sensor via BESST .

Happy days.
Hello. As far as I understood correctly, in your case the cutoffs were caused by the controller and not by the torque sensor? Regarding motor running after pedals stop, do you have this issue with FC2?
I have an FC1 motor with cutoffs at different FWs, and up until now I thought the cause of these cutoffs was the torque sensor. I'm wondering if I can put in a new torque sensor (for FC2) and do a complete upgrade. I only see the torque sensor for the FC1 on the market

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Hello. As far as I understood correctly, in your case the cutoffs were caused by the controller and not by the torque sensor? Regarding motor running after pedals stop, do you have this issue with FC2?
I have an FC1 motor with cutoffs at different FWs, and up until now I thought the cause of these cutoffs was the torque sensor. I'm wondering if I can put in a new torque sensor (for FC2) and do a complete upgrade. I only see the torque sensor for the FC1 on the market
I thought it was my torque sensor, but it wasn't. The change to the FC2.0 controller totally eliminated the power cutoffs.

I have never really had the motor over running when I stopped pedalling with either the FC1.0 or FC2.0 controller. You may have a problem with your torque sensor, but I would just change the controller first (as its easy to change) and see if that makes a difference. Also the torque sensor for FC2.0 motors is not currently available, according to Chili Shen.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
I saw a note from somebody that torque sensors for fc1.0 and fc2.0 are same. Even though there is different label. But not sure. Would be good if somebody will measure the output. But could be the newer one can be more sensitive.

And the lag after stop pedalling - wouldnt say it is because of torque sensor faulty, but depends on firmware you have. Last firmware for new m600 is with lag (but no power limitation down to 0%!) I dont get it if Bafang dont see this or what the hell is wrong with them. Theres still some bug in each firmware. :(

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I saw a note from somebody that torque sensors for fc1.0 and fc2.0 are same. Even though there is different label. But not sure. Would be good if somebody will measure the output. But could be the newer one can be more sensitive.

And the lag after stop pedalling - wouldnt say it is because of torque sensor faulty, but depends on firmware you have. Last firmware for new m600 is with lag (but no power limitation down to 0%!) I dont get it if Bafang dont see this or what the hell is wrong with them. Theres still some bug in each firmware. :(
Externally they are the same, internal hardware i can't certified, but dealer have said me that they are the same and i have replaced controller FC1.0 by FC2.0 sin problem.

About power variations. Firstely with my FC1.0 they occured randomly on each level. Bafang have provided me a new torque sensor for replace. That solved the problem on the 2 first levels, but power variations keep systematically in other levels, fewer in level 3 and more on uppers. After replacing controller V1.0 by 2.0, all working well

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
C245 v3 finally arrived yesterday after FedEx shipped it round the world several times.

Connects to phone and works without the error you get connecting to the v2.

New phone only had Bluetooth 5, not 5.1. So not sure why go+ insists on 5.1

Display boots with the bafang screen not the Vitus screen and all the modes are the bafang modes not the Vitus modes, so presumably some of the control info is held in the display not the fc2 ?

App was a waste of time, couldn't see or do anything. Less than go.

Screenshot_20231017-083923.png

Screenshot_20231017-084401.png

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
What you mean by "all the modes are bafang modes"?

You making some faulty conclusions just out of thin air and bringing up some hoax, that motor behaviour depends on a display. Which is not!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What you mean by "all the modes are bafang modes"?

You making some faulty conclusions just out of thin air and bringing up some hoax, that motor behaviour depends on a display. Which is not!
I asked a question ❓

The modes offered are not the e, e plus, t, b and r like the Vitus display. They're the bafang default modes.

The actual configuration of the modes may still be the same, I didn't have time to test ride.

But the "displayed" modes are the bafang modes, not the Vitus modes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Dont get it now, if not e, t, b, r, what is showing your new display?
Sorry, I was typing on my phone and doing something else ... But all the same, I thought it was pretty clear.

Maybe if you spent a bit less time making accusations whilst getting all emotional and possibly showed a tiny bit of rationality and self control you might have understood that "it shows the default bafang modes, not the vitus E, E+,T,B,R" means it shows E,T,S,S+,B - the default bafang modes.

As mentioned, the animated boot screen is different, so this information is also held in the display - not in the FC2.0. Instead of the animated Vitus logo, it's the Bafang Smile logo.

Other than that all the display options and info seems to be the same.

The themes are also the same with Fashion,sporty and classic - but again with only Sporty available.

Wheel size and speed limit are the same with either display.

Presumably all the actual performance settings for the modes are held in the motor, not the display, just the mode names are held in the display firmware.

Vitus have already said I'd need a firmware update to use the 3.0 - most likely to update the screen software. (V3 - DPC245CF80301.1 , V2 Vitus DPC245CF80221.0)

The most relevant part though was surely that even though GO+ actually now works, is that it's totally pointless and shows you less and lets you do less than using a V2 with GO.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles