Bafang M510 setup

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
I am looking for some advice on my new DIY eMTB build. I completed the build yesterday on a Chinese carbon frame (from Joybikes) - They did have to re-send me a new frame as the first one was damaged slightly on the headset, It had gotten squashed in transit, I managed to fix it with my Dremel, but I wasn't prepared to accept it.. and they immediately sent me another with no hassles! So, I have ran into a problem that the pedal assist does not go atall, I think I got all the wiring correct, the controller lights up and all works fine.. but there is just no juice to the pedals! I have stripped it and re-checked the wiring.. but it all seems fine (and why would the controller all light up and work if it wasn't?) The only thing was the cable from the controller had a red&black spur off it that had 2 metal female ends on them.. I have no idea if they were to be inserted somewhere? so, this is what it could be? but I couldn't see anywhere these could be inserted.. not on the motor..I have the yellow battery one inserted and like I say, the controller comes on and is totally fine... I am putting up some photos... and hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? This is my first eMTB build.... so any help is appreciated.

wires on eMTB.jpg Emtb 1 almost finsihed.jpg

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
Those red/black connectors coming off the control/display cable are to supply a 6V front-light that can be controlled by the C240/241 display (long press the ‘plus’ button on the C241’s attached keypad). You can also get a triple-ended cable that attaches to an optional throttle.

Re: torque sensing not working… I’m in the final stages of my very slow m510 / Dengfu E10 build, and I just tested the motor and it seems to behave the same as yours. ???Throttle works, walk-mode works (long press the ‘minus’ button after selecting walk-mode below ‘0’) but turning the crank doesn’t seem to generate any motor support.

My plan is to connect the BESST tool when I next get a chance and see if there’s some mis-configuration.

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
Those red/black connectors coming off the control/display cable are to supply a 6V front-light that can be controlled by the C240/241 display (long press the ‘plus’ button on the C241’s attached keypad). You can also get a triple-ended cable that attaches to an optional throttle.

Re: torque sensing not working… I’m in the final stages of my very slow m510 / Dengfu E10 build, and I just tested the motor and it seems to behave the same as yours. ???Throttle works, walk-mode works (long press the ‘minus’ button after selecting walk-mode below ‘0’) but turning the crank doesn’t seem to generate any motor support.

My plan is to connect the BESST tool when I next get a chance and see if there’s some mis-configuration.
Thanks for that, so that is very interesting that you too have the exact same problem.. which makes me think we are both missing something quite simple I’d say.. I was going to attach my BESST tool aswell but it requires an invite code from supplier, so I have requested this from Joy bikes..being the weekend, there is a deathly silence! I might try again today with a clear head to fathom out what is wrong.. but it seems something simple.. we must have the wiring correct.. as it can only go 1 way and we both have the controller working perfectly.. it’s gonna be a heavy MTB to play on if not! Eh? I was starting to think faulty motor, but not now if you have exact same problem. I’ll let you know if I manage to get my invite code for BESST.. cheers

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
well... I looked at all them threads... but not 1 explains it.. all over the place infact! haha.. for an old timer like me.. who's not brilliant with computers.. I need a step by step on how to do this.. I managed to download python 3.. and have it opened... but then what?? any idea? how do I get the file onto python 3 then how do I get on BESST (do I just put in any old name and password?)

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
One remark for those who have the motor functioning with walk mode and not with crank arms turn.

You don't perform test only on bike stand ? because torque sensor only functioning with an effort on crank arms, not if you turn with hand with whells without contact with ground

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
One remark for those who have the motor functioning with walk mode and not with crank arms turn.

You don't perform test only on bike stand ? because torque sensor only functioning with an effort on crank arms, not if you turn with hand with whells without contact with ground
I actually took the bike out for a ride.... and no power to cranks.....

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
Ok, you can check inside the motor if the torque sensor is correctely connected. If yes, It's better to see with your supplier to perform motor exchange
U think I need to open up the motor housing? On a brand new motor? I don't think I should risk that incase they say that nullifies my warranty? I take it that from what I have described, I have all the wiring correct.. or the controller would not light up and all settings on that operate... just no pedal assist!! I have re-done the cables several times... I am unable to use my BESST tool... as surely that would tell me if there is a fault? I have managed to download Python3.11 but for the life of me, I cannot work out what to do next so that I can log in... I see the file BESST Pro for windows.. but how do I run that on the Python ? there is no step by step tutorial on this forum.. It's allover the place with folks adding their bits and pieces.. haha
To be honest, I am now regretting going down the eMTB route! It has taken me years to decide on this... and now I wish I'd kept my ordinary MTB! I'm hoping someone sees my distress and give me a step by step on how to log in to BESST...

BESST Pro for Windows_1.0.2.exe

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
Martin, I'll troubleshoot mine over the next couple of days and post here if/when I find a solution (though mine has only been tested in the maintenance stand, not having a chain on yet, so as @patdam notes, it may not actually be a problem at all, not having sufficient torque on the cranks).

Re: getting BESST connected, to begin with just make sure you have python3 correctly installed. From the Windows command line type `python3 --version` and you should have the version returned, showing that it's installed.

Also, can you confirm whether walk-mode works? (I assume you don't have a throttle connected). Walk-mode works independently of any crank torque.

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
Martin, I'll troubleshoot mine over the next couple of days and post here if/when I find a solution (though mine has only been tested in the maintenance stand, not having a chain on yet, so as @patdam notes, it may not actually be a problem at all, not having sufficient torque on the cranks).

Re: getting BESST connected, to begin with just make sure you have python3 correctly installed. From the Windows command line type `python3 --version` and you should have the version returned, showing that it's installed.

Also, can you confirm whether walk-mode works? (I assume you don't have a throttle connected). Walk-mode works independently of any crank torque.
Hi, walk mode doesn't work either... it shows up on the controller as in walk mode and 2.5KMh but the cranks do not turn.... I have python 3.11 installed correctly... I just need to know how to do the rest.. as in get it to log in.. how I get this pro file to there.. ? no idea..

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hi, walk mode doesn't work either... it shows up on the controller as in walk mode and 2.5KMh but the cranks do not turn.... I have python 3.11 installed correctly... I just need to know how to do the rest.. as in get it to log in.. how I get this pro file to there.. ? no idea..
display show 2.5km in walk mode without motor turn ?

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
display show 2.5km in walk mode without motor turn ?
any ideas? I have this gorgeous looking bike sitting beside me..... haha... I have racked my head over and over.. I have pulled out the cables and re-inserted... I have researched everywhere online... but nothing! I think it must be something really easy... It's just ebikes have never been my thing till now! I'm thinking it's mayne a faulty motor...but the supplier in China told me they tested it before sending.. . and I told them what settings I wanted (speed etc) - I have given them enough whatsapp messages over this weekend to piss them off forever with me!! But they were supposed to help us with this as they knew it was our first (test) in having eMTB's.....maybe they'll answer me in the morning....

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
UPDATE - So, the Torque sensor is broken!!! I cannot believe this.. first after months waiting on my frame, it arrived damaged! So then I had to wait another 7 weeks for a replacement!! and that one had slight damage I was able to fix! and now I find out the brand new motor is broken also!! I told supplier I was not accepting them sending me only a new torque sensor, as I don't think I should be opening up and brand new product I paid for!! They told me to send this motor back to them in China and they will send a replacement, But I said only at their postage cost!! This company makes it out as if it's my fault! haha...to be fair, so far they have replaced, but it's the cheek of them saying they have never had this and making out as if it's me!! I sprayed and assembled this whole bike in 2 days!! Everything is perfect except the Bafang M510 motor!! I first ordered this in December.. it is almost June!! NEVER AGAIN!! to me, it's not worth the hassles... I wish we had just purchased an off the shelf eMTB...or better still.. never even bothered with eMTB's!!! haha.. I am mainly a road cyclist.. and a good one at that! I am road and mtb guide on Mallorca.. I just thought that me having an eMTB would help me as I am getting old and when I mainly guide on road bike.. I do a fair bit of MTB guiding.. and it was knackering me up.. no matter how fit I am! So... I wish I'd just stayed knackered!! ha! I shall do a full post on this company once it's all over... as I reckon there is more problems coming.. for me to even remove the existing motor was difficult.. the left hand pedal locknut had rounded off!! I tried to drill it out.. but nope.. and I didn't want to cause any more damage to this motor...so I left the left hand pedal on! and told them to re-send me that also! It's not just this.. it's all the hassle of boxing it up... then having to organise postage... Nah!! NEVER AGAIN!! I must say, I have ordered many road bike frames from factories in China without a single hitch!! all been great!! and fantastic bikes!! I wasn't sure about this company at start.... but hey, I cannot say too much as so far they have replaced damaged frame.. and say they will replace this... but it;s the hassles of going back n forth.. making video evidence etc etc... JUST GIVE ME A FLECKN FRAME AND MOTOR THAT IS BRAND NEW AND WORKING... Like I paid for... It really is that simple.. eh?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
You are very unluky man. I never seen an bafang motor who display speed whithout wheel turn. May be you need an desenchanter ?

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
You are very unluky man. I never seen an bafang motor who display speed whithout wheel turn. May be you need an desenchanter ?
A very old French word that is!! haha... Yes.. very unlucky I guess!! and very extremely pissed off man at that!! with alot of thought and a fair bit of time, I managed to get the pedal locknut etc off.... so I can return it to Bafang... and they can see themselves it's a duff motor! To me, it seems the spindle is in the wrong way round... as if you turn the spindle anticlockwise, it sounds more like it should be!! The supplier told me that they have never encountered any of my problems before!! So, maybe I'm just jinxed!! maybe eMTB's wasn't for us!! haha...I know my mates all think it's stupid me on an eMTB...but I really see the point of it.. and I get all my fitness etc from my road bikes... On Mallorca, just wanna get up them mountain tracks asap... so can have fun on the downhill...that was my thinking anyways...I must admit, from riding this bike around the corner to test it.. It does feel bloody heavy!! (24kgs in total) The thing is, I am just delighted that it wasn't anything I did wrong!! I actually did this build super quick and got it all correct first time.... I did enjoy it until it wouldn't bloody work! hey ho! Chinese supplier (Joybikes) has informed me that they are hoping Bafang in Poland will swap over a motor for me.. I will find out in morning... but I shall do a full report on all this and post it on these forums for others.... as I reckon folks should know everything about this supplier.... and tbh, apart from some of the cheeky comments on whatsapp... they have given me everything I've asked for... but just the time it's taken!! and now I don't know how much longer it's gonna take!! It'll be too hot on Mallorca for MTB come June!! season is over at end of this month...I have to agree with Rob, and say, this is definitely not for everyone.. and I too, wish I hadn't bothered... but when it's al sorted out etc.. I guess I'll forget about this... and just enjoy it!! Or amybe sell the bloody thing!! haha cheers

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
A very old French word that is!! haha... Yes.. very unlucky I guess!! and very extremely pissed off man at that!! with alot of thought and a fair bit of time, I managed to get the pedal locknut etc off.... so I can return it to Bafang... and they can see themselves it's a duff motor! To me, it seems the spindle is in the wrong way round... as if you turn the spindle anticlockwise, it sounds more like it should be!! The supplier told me that they have never encountered any of my problems before!! So, maybe I'm just jinxed!! maybe eMTB's wasn't for us!! haha...I know my mates all think it's stupid me on an eMTB...but I really see the point of it.. and I get all my fitness etc from my road bikes... On Mallorca, just wanna get up them mountain tracks asap... so can have fun on the downhill...that was my thinking anyways...I must admit, from riding this bike around the corner to test it.. It does feel bloody heavy!! (24kgs in total) The thing is, I am just delighted that it wasn't anything I did wrong!! I actually did this build super quick and got it all correct first time.... I did enjoy it until it wouldn't bloody work! hey ho! Chinese supplier (Joybikes) has informed me that they are hoping Bafang in Poland will swap over a motor for me.. I will find out in morning... but I shall do a full report on all this and post it on these forums for others.... as I reckon folks should know everything about this supplier.... and tbh, apart from some of the cheeky comments on whatsapp... they have given me everything I've asked for... but just the time it's taken!! and now I don't know how much longer it's gonna take!! It'll be too hot on Mallorca for MTB come June!! season is over at end of this month...I have to agree with Rob, and say, this is definitely not for everyone.. and I too, wish I hadn't bothered... but when it's al sorted out etc.. I guess I'll forget about this... and just enjoy it!! Or amybe sell the bloody thing!! haha cheers
this is what self build ebike risk. For knowing this exact problem U have to buy Besst tool for diagnose. I can help guide U the process after u have Besst tool.

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
It's certainly a bit of bad luck. I have had a great experience with my Chinese carbon frame. M600 motor is a learning curve however. I wanted emtb so I had enough energy for the down hill and twisty adrenaline rush. (I'm 65) But riding up hill even in the lowest assist is a kin to a spin class. Not what I was looking for but I am having a blast. As for the cheeky comments, just remember Chinese translation can seem very blunt or abrasive when they really aren't. Can't imagine what they read from us. Anyway that's been my experience. It should all work out for you and hope to see some positive feed back soon.
Just one more very silly thing. Befang plugs are designed to be water tight. I had a similar experience and would not believe I had not plugged it in. Ended up using long nose pliers with a cloth and sure enough there was one more click left in the plugs. For me problem solved.

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
It's certainly a bit of bad luck. I have had a great experience with my Chinese carbon frame. M600 motor is a learning curve however. I wanted emtb so I had enough energy for the down hill and twisty adrenaline rush. (I'm 65) But riding up hill even in the lowest assist is a kin to a spin class. Not what I was looking for but I am having a blast. As for the cheeky comments, just remember Chinese translation can seem very blunt or abrasive when they really aren't. Can't imagine what they read from us. Anyway that's been my experience. It should all work out for you and hope to see some positive feed back soon.
Just one more very silly thing. Befang plugs are designed to be water tight. I had a similar experience and would not believe I had not plugged it in. Ended up using long nose pliers with a cloth and sure enough there was one more click left in the plugs. For me problem solved.
Thanks for that, but if I didn't have the plugs in correctly.... then the controller would not operate... and everything worked on controller including the speed sensor... it is a faulty/broken torque sensor (in a supposedly brand new motor!) - My experience, even now with BAFANG, Poland, is not so good... I had to basically threaten them to get this sorted out. The faulty motor arrives to them tomorrow before 12.. so hopefully.. they will send me a new one, but I suspect they will open this one up and try and fix, which I said I DO NOT WANT! I have taken down the serial numbers etc for this.. and I am 60 years old... and I know when someone is being "cheeky" and when not, and I assure you, she is being very rude and cheeky to me! a totally different person before I parted with my cash though!! (as usual) - but thanks for your comments..regards Martin (Why Not Cycle, Mallorca) (formerly TramuntBike)

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
PS - sounds like a motorcycle you really need!! haha...to be honest, I'm mainly a road cyclist, I am local guide here on Mallorca, but I do off road too... but my main thing is road. I'm only getting an eMTB to keep my legs fresh for road as I do alot more road guiding than off road. I am fine with no motor on my MTB, but I thought this way I'd stay fresher and be able to enjoy both. Sounds like you would benefit more from a Suron Lightbee, and to be fair, I wish I had got one instead of this eMTB project! cheers

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Thanks for that, but if I didn't have the plugs in correctly.... then the controller would not operate... and everything worked on controller including the speed sensor... it is a faulty/broken torque sensor (in a supposedly brand new motor!) - My experience, even now with BAFANG, Poland, is not so good... I had to basically threaten them to get this sorted out. The faulty motor arrives to them tomorrow before 12.. so hopefully.. they will send me a new one, but I suspect they will open this one up and try and fix, which I said I DO NOT WANT! I have taken down the serial numbers etc for this.. and I am 60 years old... and I know when someone is being "cheeky" and when not, and I assure you, she is being very rude and cheeky to me! a totally different person before I parted with my cash though!! (as usual) - but thanks for your comments..regards Martin (Why Not Cycle, Mallorca) (formerly TramuntBike)
whos is she being rude and cheeky?

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
whos is she being rude and cheeky?
This statement ----------------->>>>>>> and I know when someone is being "cheeky" and when not, and I assure you, she is being very rude and cheeky to me! a totally different person before I parted with my cash though!! (as usual) - but thanks for your comments..regards Martin (Why Not Cycle, Mallorca) (formerly TramuntBike)

Jan 2, 2023
Mallorca
This statement ----------------->>>>>>> and I know when someone is being "cheeky" and when not, and I assure you, she is being very rude and cheeky to me! a totally different person before I parted with my cash though!! (as usual) - but thanks for your comments..regards Martin (Why Not Cycle, Mallorca) (formerly TramuntBike)
The Chinese girl who sold me it...... why?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles