Bafang M510 Brake Switch

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Just received M510 motor et al. It came with brake levers with a brake switch cable. Lever look like something for a scooter. A bit surprising for a motor sold for ebikes. The M510 is ther newest motor and has a nice cadence sensor. Is a brake switch even necessary. A trip to LBS to look at Trek and Santa Cruz emtbs showed no such sensors. Is a brakes sensor required for M510?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I was worried about this before I got my e22 with bafang ultra.

After riding it, I dont think you need brake sensors. Although I can see the benefit in having a shift sensor. Those shifts under load are brutal
With Your Bafang Ultra I can understand shifting under load may be an issue. For the M510 it’s not. Mostly I observe rough shifting when changing to a faster gear, quick shift while engine is still under load. If You are used to low down pedal force for a split second while shifting, and get into the right timing, this is no issue.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
With Your Bafang Ultra I can understand shifting under load may be an issue. For the M510 it’s not. Mostly I observe rough shifting when changing to a faster gear, quick shift while engine is still under load. If You are used to low down pedal force for a split second while shifting, and get into the right timing, this is no issue.
I'm also interested in trying to drive without sensors on the M510. I always had sensors on the M600 and it helped to reduce the load when changing gears. I learned to press the brake a little bit and change gears at that moment. I had a shift sensor, I threw it out, it worked very badly. Although it is convenient when the brake light lights up and the one who is driving from behind sees the stop.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Just received M510 motor et al. It came with brake levers with a brake switch cable. Lever look like something for a scooter. A bit surprising for a motor sold for ebikes. The M510 is ther newest motor and has a nice cadence sensor. Is a brake switch even necessary. A trip to LBS to look at Trek and Santa Cruz emtbs showed no such sensors. Is a brakes sensor required for M510?
This thread quickly jumped off brakes onto shifting ;)

Back to brakes. Does anyone know WHY the bafang brake levers send signal to the controller. I'm not asking if I should run them because i know this crew will say no. I'm only asking if anyone knows what they do - like to cut any "wind down" power during breaking or maybe just for rear light?

Maybe there's value in restoring the OEM feature AND have better levers by adding something --> Like this one maybe?

Last edited:

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
That hydraulic switch looks very nice. The mechanical switches that are out there are really rinky dink. Back to your question - why does the manuf have and electrical shutoff? I would guess there are two reason (guessing). 1) there is a slight delay between stopping pedaling and power to crank stopping. 2) the cut off switch provides a secondary cutoff if cutoff #1 fails.

I asked this question to the provider of my m510 . I explained I would be using a Magura brake system. Per the distributor (fltebike.com - they were recommended to me by bike frame manuf): “ Do not use brake sensor if you use Magura hydraulic brakes.”

I also went to my LBS and looked at Treks. LBS said no cut off switches - just stop pedaling.

Let me know if you learn anything more on this.

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
That hydraulic switch looks very nice. The mechanical switches that are out there are really rinky dink. Back to your question - why does the manuf have and electrical shutoff? I would guess there are two reason (guessing). 1) there is a slight delay between stopping pedaling and power to crank stopping. 2) the cut off switch provides a secondary cutoff if cutoff #1 fails.

I asked this question to the provider of my m510 . I explained I would be using a Magura brake system. Per the distributor (fltebike.com - they were recommended to me by bike frame manuf): “ Do not use brake sensor if you use Magura hydraulic brakes.”

I also went to my LBS and looked at Treks. LBS said no cut off switches - just stop pedaling.

Let me know if you learn anything more on this.
Yes indeed we all agree its not needed, required or even desired. Back to the question though...

Does anyone definitivly know what the bafang controller does with the brake signal?

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
It’s a kill switch - that simple.
Ah ok. So they must have added it for some reason.

Ive read a lot on here about the feeling of the mX00 motors continuing to add unwanted power in certian conditions.

I mean, they added it to the system for a reason with added cost so they felt somwhat important.

So does anyone feel that having this brake cut off action AND high performance levers would be of some benefit??

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I mean, they added it to the system for a reason with added cost so they felt somwhat important.
To satisfy those who feel the run on is too long, touch the rear brake and the motor shuts down. But also to keep up with virtually every EMtb motor out there, a tad of run on to boost you up steps and the likes ( in reality its impossible to shut off a motor instantaneously without negatives elsewhere in its riding manners ), Bosch even markets that as a good thing :cool:

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
I've been on the 510 and I really don't need a brake. On the m600, it is needed, it helps a lot to change gears. If you want your brake light to be on, connect the brake. I connected only to the front brake, that's enough

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles