Bafang M510 - Battery sleep mode, is it a thing?

Jun 8, 2019
Ronda, Spain
I have a new bike with the M510 and I have not ridden it much yet. The few times I have used it I have had trouble switching on the bike through the control unit on the handle bars. If I remove the battery and press the button on the battery for a few seconds and refit it to the bike, the bikes starts ok.

Does the battery have a sleep mode if not used regularly?

IMG_1861.jpeg

Thanks

Wayne

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Yes, could be sleep mode, or some protection applied.

If this is a switch button, then it is hardware BMS turn off.

If BMS went to off state, should be still able to wake by connecting charger.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Yes, it is a thing. Currently shipped batteries come without sleep mode, hence you just switch the whole system on through the controller's remote.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Thats rare to have sleep mode in batteries. You need then push a button on a battery, right?

All good BMSes are drawing just a little current (micro amperes) so wont empty the battery so quick. And I dont like when I have to turn on battery and then motor.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Thats rare to have sleep mode in batteries. You need then push a button on a battery, right?

All good BMSes are drawing just a little current (micro amperes) so wont empty the battery so quick. And I dont like when I have to turn on battery and then motor.
That is my thought too. I expected that the operation of starting the Bafang motor would be like that of a big brand, that is, pressing the start button on the controller's remote and that's it. But I learned here that until recently one had to switch on the battery and then the motor. As I said, currently batteries come without sleep mode, hence without on-off switch and with a rubber cap for its hole

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Yes, it is not good to have 2 power on buttons. So I am still shorting on/off cables inside dengfu battery. And the button using for a strong LED light. Over dc/dc from main battery.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
Yes, it is not good to have 2 power on buttons. So I am still shorting on/off cables inside dengfu battery. And the button using for a strong LED light. Over dc/dc from main battery.
Hi Dado, how do you short the on/off cable inside the Dengfu battery? I have an unsystematic shutdown or reboot while riding. I modeled this at home by quickly turning the battery off and on with a button. The motor reboots the same way it does while riding.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Mate, you do not need to be rocket engineer to short it.

1. Open battery (4 screws on connector side)
2. Cut 2 cables going to golden pins
3. Weld them together, add heatshrink
4. Close battery.

;)

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
Mate, you do not need to be rocket engineer to short it.

1. Open battery (4 screws on connector side)
2. Cut 2 cables going to golden pins
3. Weld them together, add heatshrink
4. Close battery.

;)
Thanks, mate. Since I'm not a real electrician, it's always best to ask. 🤙

Jun 8, 2019
Ronda, Spain
That is my thought too. I expected that the operation of starting the Bafang motor would be like that of a big brand, that is, pressing the start button on the controller's remote and that's it. But I learned here that until recently one had to switch on the battery and then the motor. As I said, currently batteries come without sleep mode, hence without on-off switch and with a rubber cap for its hole
The battery on my new bike definitly shut down if I remove it from the bike. I have to hold the rubber button for 8 seconds (the green led with letters R G B on the end of the battery lights up while holding the button) then the bike will power up from the controller on the handle bars. Sometimes I have to do it twice. I am guessing on the 8 seconds because that is what seems to work but cannot find any official documentation about it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles