Bad Cable rub on '21 Meta Power 29, eating into frame!

Dec 26, 2020
USA
With 300ish miles on my Meta Power 29, my derallier cable is rubbing, pretty badly right above my BB, through the clear, the paint, and now into the actual aluminum.

I contacted Commencal USA, who replied very quickly but they (Romain) basically said out some clear protective film over it. Which will most likely need to be replaced every so often. Love the bike but this is pretty annoying.

Anyone else having this issue? Anything else besides clear protective film to help remedy this? TIA!

20210831_114022.jpg

20210831_114204.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is bad design, but what were you doing letting it get that bad!

You have options:
Reroute that cable
Use several layers of helicopter tape
Wrap some tape around the cable
Thread on a spirally wound cable protector (the sort used to gather bunches of cables)
Use combinations (advised as your problem is a bad one.

Paint the damaged area before taping it.

Dec 26, 2020
USA
That is bad design, but what were you doing letting it get that bad!

You have options:
Reroute that cable
Use several layers of helicopter tape
Wrap some tape around the cable
Thread on a spirally wound cable protector (the sort used to gather bunches of cables)
Use combinations (advised as your problem is a bad one.

Paint the damaged area before taping it.

Thanks yeah I saw the rubbing happening a little while ago but also did 2 downhill days since then, totally my fault for not addressing it sooner, you're right.
I ordered some Foundation frame protection from Jenson USA, some rubber hose protector/grommets from Amazon, and got lucky and found a place to match touch up paint pretty close to me.

A friend of mine suggested it's a good reason to get wireless shifting, haha

??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think like Steve says, I'd paint it, tape it, then I'd loosen the cable at the derailleur and possibly cut the zip tie (if it won't twist) and turn the sheath clockwise slightly so it turns away from the frame. At the moment the natural twist is pulling it towards the triangle. Then new zip tie and re-tighten (or pull back and re-seat). You should be able to set it up so even with compression movements it's not rubbing.

Dec 26, 2020
USA
I think like Steve says, I'd paint it, tape it, then I'd loosen the cable at the derailleur and possibly cut the zip tie (if it won't twist) and turn the sheath clockwise slightly so it turns away from the frame. At the moment the natural twist is pulling it towards the triangle. Then new zip tie and re-tighten (or pull back and re-seat). You should be able to set it up so even with compression movements it's not rubbing.

Good ideas, was also thinking about a slightly longer derailleur cable.

thanks!

nosenada

Nov 26, 2019
California
I have used helicopter tape to fix the cable rub on my bike.

ISC Racerstape in a 2" x 12' roll is pretty useful for lots of rub spots including where your shoe may hit the chain stay or the little strip of paint on the downtube that hits a tail gate pad.

Dec 26, 2020
USA
I found a local paint shop to match the paint code Commencal gave me, which ended up being too light a shade anyway. I touched up the spot with primer, then paint. I bought and cut some AMS frame protection kit, and also installed a rubber cable protector. I've been on one 10 mile ride, used most of the travel and it looks like the AMS patch I made shifted a but but it doesn't look like the severe rubbing is happening anymore. I'll probably re-do the patch, make it slightly larger, you can see a bit of dirt where I think it shifted.

16325202697649054320360187705284.jpg

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Could you manage to stick one of these to your frame then fasten to cable to it?

Or

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Guys, I've put a clear film that I got with a set of Mavic wheels a couple of years ago, when reading on this forum about this issue. Applied it almost instantly from when I got the bike. No cable rub at all here (y)

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l very quickly discovered that the rear brake cable on my Kona was rubbing on the frame with movement of the suspension.

lt had gone through the paint after only one ride from new!

l put a zip tie around the frame where the cable was rubbing, and after nearly 2,000 miles of riding both cable and zip tie show no visible wear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles