Meta Power 27.5 or 29?

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
I've been eyeing Meta Power for quite some times and plan to buy an emtb around September. However I'm still deciding which one to get. My last bike was '13 Giant Trance 29er, 125mm. I'm low skill mtb rider, mostly San Diego area of SoCal - dry, hard base-loose top, some rocks, type of terrain. Trance was lower end spec bike but still felt like a big improvement over my previous single pivot house brand all mntn. 140mm, 26". I'm guessing mostly because of bigger wheels. Which is why I'm more inclined to go with 29er. However I never really try 27.5 except short demo rides of couple emtbs. Can you guys give me few pros and cons?
I'm 6'2" (187cm), ~175 lbs. Prefer stability and grip over playfulness. speed is a lot less important.
My gut feel is that I will be happy with any of these models, but still would like some opinions. Cheers.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I think the coil shock would be the decider for me, it's a game changer. Kernow is a big 29er fan, but when we bought ours the 29er had not been introduced, I asked him very recently if he would have gone with a 29er had it been available but he said he was very happy with the 650b.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
27.5x2.6 is incredibly stable. I might have gone with a 29er for a bit more efficiency but it was unavailable at the time.

The XL fits me perfectly at 6'1" with a 150mm dropper bottomed out. The XL now comes with a 175mm dropper which will be too long for most.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Been on 29ers for years and wouldn't consider an analogue 27.5 trail bike. I've got a Vitus E-Sommet 27.5 and as others have said I think the motor offsets a lot of 29er advantages although I guess you would lose the added roll over through downhill chunk with no motor assistance. 170mm/160 travel helps with that though!

I also think that with the added weight of an ebike that's quite a lot more load going through the wheels when cornering etc and ebikes probably benefit from the quicker handling from the smaller wheels. So yeah, I'm happy on 27.5

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I have two ebikes, one is a 27.5+ with 2.8 magic Mary front and high roller 2 on rear.
And my other is a 29er c 2.5 front and 27.5 x 2.8rear
The 27.5 is little smoother in chowder, little more forgiving on loose top hard base. Def rolls slower, and more tire flex in hard corners.
Took me a little getting used to the two diff wheel sets but it has really grown on me.
I have also ridden my 29er front bike with my 2.8 x 27.5 and i went back to the 29er front on everything but soft sand or puma sand like the top sections of mammoth.
But if i was just gonna Cruz around and be mellow i stay with the 27.5+ and there roll out very close to 29 and there very cushy comfortable ride

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles