Coil Shock on Meta Power 29?

rad_rob

Jul 7, 2021
Orange, CA
Hey guys,

New here to the forum but recently picked up a Meta Power 29, and did a few upgrades to it. I installed an AXS rear derailleur, carbon wheel, megneg upgrade on the rear shock, bigger rotors, and am about to swap my Vorsprung Secus from my Zeb on my Slash over to the Zeb on the Meta.

I was looking to swap the rear air shock out for a coil shock after riding a friends bike that has one and I fell in love. I apologize if this has been covered already, but does anyone have the specs on what coil shock would work on this bike?

Thanks in advance!

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The commencal site is pretty detailed. In the "speccs" its listed as a 230 x 60
My commencal meta am came with an air shock 230 x 62.5 giving it 160mm of travel. The suspension system is linear. I put a coil 230 x 65 on it and that gave it 167mm of travel and because its linear i put a progressive coil on the dvo jade shock. Feel is much improved. I have had to rebuild the shick for whatever reason and its working well atm. I think id like one of the newer coil shocks designed for emtb's whether on an emtb or mtb. Bigger shaft, bushing and seal has to be beneficial especially with emtb's and bikes with shock yokes off the linkage like the commencal. Ext "E" storia or dvo jade "X" would probably be great options

Here's the spring calculator. Youll want to select the spring weight for single pivot and enter your weight as you would be suited up

rad_rob

Jul 7, 2021
Orange, CA
The commencal site is pretty detailed. In the "speccs" its listed as a 230 x 60
My commencal meta am came with an air shock 230 x 62.5 giving it 160mm of travel. The suspension system is linear. I put a coil 230 x 65 on it and that gave it 167mm of travel and because its linear i put a progressive coil on the dvo jade shock. Feel is much improved. I have had to rebuild the shick for whatever reason and its working well atm. I think id like one of the newer coil shocks designed for emtb's whether on an emtb or mtb. Bigger shaft, bushing and seal has to be beneficial especially with emtb's and bikes with shock yokes off the linkage like the commencal. Ext "E" storia or dvo jade "X" would probably be great options

Here's the spring calculator. Youll want to select the spring weight for single pivot and enter your weight as you would be suited up

This is great info! Every bike I've built I've never messed with the rear shock too much, but after riding the coil I want to make the jump so this info is super helpful, thanks!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
This is great info! Every bike I've built I've never messed with the rear shock too much, but after riding the coil I want to make the jump so this info is super helpful, thanks!
Good luck. Worth a try for sure. Spindrex seems to be the most reasonably priced progressive coil shock

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Hey guys,

New here to the forum but recently picked up a Meta Power 29, and did a few upgrades to it. I installed an AXS rear derailleur, carbon wheel, megneg upgrade on the rear shock, bigger rotors, and am about to swap my Vorsprung Secus from my Zeb on my Slash over to the Zeb on the Meta.

I was looking to swap the rear air shock out for a coil shock after riding a friends bike that has one and I fell in love. I apologize if this has been covered already, but does anyone have the specs on what coil shock would work on this bike?

Thanks in advance!
Bigger rotors? Mine came with 220mm sram rotors front and rear. Did you really upsize more?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I believe that all the Shimano Brake specced bikes came with 200MM Rotors, and centrelock :)
Same as my meta am 29 slx bike. Shimano centerlocks. I put a centerlock to 6 bolt adapter on the front so i could bolt on a sram 220 rotor. My decoy has 220f/203r so its just easier to have both bikes able to swap wheels if needed

rad_rob

Jul 7, 2021
Orange, CA
Bigger rotors? Mine came with 220mm sram rotors front and rear. Did you really upsize more?

I meant beefier rotors. Theyre the Magura rotors, and after a couple of rides on them I absolutely hate them. haha. I built a set of wheels for my Trek Slash using Onyx hubs and Shimano rotors and I actually like those rotors a little more. I know they're smaller and it seems weird to put a slightly smaller rotor on, but these Magura rotors have been a little bit of a struggle getting them to not rub. I spent about 30 minutes with my Park rotor tool getting them straight right out of the box.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles