Average e-biker age?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Can't see a thread on this so thought I'd start one!
Me, 63, in the Alps, been riding MTB for 31 years, e-bike for 3 years now, still got a clockwork bike for the park and road rides!
Out here (Serre Chevalier, France) seems like all ages are on e-bikes, from 10-80 years old! At first I thought "what are these young'uns doing on an e-bike", but then realised at least it's getting them out on 2 wheels!
This is weird, talk about things in common! Me, 64, in the Alps, been riding MTB for 32 years, ebike for 2 years (3000k on KTM town bike, 1200k on Kenevo bought last year) still got a clockwork bike for road rides. An ebike certainly gives one a new lease of life and I can keep riding with my son with him on clockwork bike! A bunch of my contemporaries have bought ebikes. Last weekend there was big bike test in Gryon (Switzerland) - 380 bikes available to test from just about every make. Maybe half were electric and all ages were out trying them. However, I would guess EMTB age profile will be older simply because we are more likely to have the money and our need is greater as our fitness has diminished or injuries have restricted us!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes buddy quite hard which I did mention to the docs.
I ask as a few years back I went through a period where I'd get dizziness /blackouts/white noise when my HR reached a high level. (not max HR or anything though) Docs never did get to the bottom of it and it naturally settled down later in the year but I suspect a heavy hit to the head a month or so previous to this starting played a pretty big part.

I've had concussion many many times (well into double figures) in my life and it's taken its toll.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Closing in on 53. Had an Emtb for around two years, various clockwork bikes for as long as I can remember, including the Raleigh Bomber.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I ask as a few years back I went through a period where I'd get dizziness /blackouts/white noise when my HR reached a high level. (not max HR or anything though) Docs never did get to the bottom of it and it naturally settled down later in the year but I suspect a heavy hit to the head a month or so previous to this starting played a pretty big part.

I've had concussion many many times (well into double figures) in my life and it's taken its toll.
Nah....it caused by living so far north!!!

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
Age 54 and got my first eMTB 15 months ago. Unlike most here I haven't ridden unassisted mountain bikes since about 1996, and back then it wasn't really the same sport it is now. The eMTB is a game changer for me, but I have to stop crashing and hurting myself. My wife is getting pretty fed up.

ozhutcho

Sep 27, 2019
Australia
49, virgo, I like long walks on the beach... Actually been riding mtbs since a youngin' (riding my bmx in the bush as a kid.

raced DH and 24hr XC teams until 2010.

In 2010 I had a great year, rode a MTB from Ho Chi Min to Siam Reap for 15 days. Then in October 2010 I crashed and broke my tib in 2 places and fib in 1, ruptured a previous ACL graft and ripped the MCL of the femur.

Stopped racing, got fat, gone from 300+km a week to probably haven't done 300km since then.
I now have arthritis and a teenage son that is bombing of stuff.

To keep up I've changed my diet and bought the ebike.

Now my biggest problem is running wide on uphill corners.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
I'm 42. Been riding since I was a kid. Smashed my knee up in a car crash when I was 18. The last few years the arthritis has been getting worse, causing my leg to get weaker. Less and less rides on my manual bike. Bought a Levo a month ago and the hills have become my playground again!

Chris D

Jan 22, 2018
herefordshire
This is weird, talk about things in common! Me, 64, in the Alps, been riding MTB for 32 years, ebike for 2 years (3000k on KTM town bike, 1200k on Kenevo bought last year) still got a clockwork bike for road rides. An ebike certainly gives one a new lease of life and I can keep riding with my son with him on clockwork bike! A bunch of my contemporaries have bought ebikes. Last weekend there was big bike test in Gryon (Switzerland) - 380 bikes available to test from just about every make. Maybe half were electric and all ages were out trying them. However, I would guess EMTB age profile will be older simply because we are more likely to have the money and our need is greater as our fitness has diminished or injuries have restricted us!

Very weird indeed! Same age as KenX, 63, and up till 10 years ago, lived in Serre Chevalier too! I think if these bikes had existed all those years ago I might have still been there? Been mtbing over 50years although in the '60;s it was called tracking. Normal bikes fitted with cowhorn handlebars were the only mods used then. I raced Moto x in the 80's so I've always enjoyed an adrenaline hit. Got into ebikes (Haibike) 4years ago when the going up began to get too tough and recently bought a Specialized Levo Comp with a view to do some racing. I just need to find an event that has an OAP class for the wife and me!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
'60;s it was called tracking. Normal bikes fitted with cowhorn handlebars were the only mods used then.
We used to weld motorcycle bars to the stem back then. Can't remember what we called it but were riding the fire-breaks on something like a Raleigh Red Triumph with sturmey-archer 3-speed hub and 27" chrome rims (wet chrome and rim brakes were disasterous).
7539472.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
"Senescence" Wonderful , thanks for the new word in my vocabulary ! I shall use it very soon. Unless my senescence make me forget

I've not been reading "word of the day" or anything like that. I could read before I went to school and I used to read a lot when I was a kid, still read a fair bit to this day. "Senescence" just flowed out of me at the time, it seemed to capture what I was trying to express. I am not a gerentologist, to whom such a word would be in everyday use.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
still read a fair bit to this day

Mainly tyre sidewalls and any small inscriptions found on chain links.

I am not a gerentologist, to whom such a word would be in everyday use.

Now you're showing off !! :)

I'll throw in "Litotes/Litote" .. it's one of those which is the same in French and English .. and seems appropriate for half the banter on this forum !

"In rhetoric, litotes is a figure of speech and form of verbal irony in which understatement is used to emphasise a point by stating a negative to further affirm a positive, often incorporating double negatives for effect "

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

I'll throw in "Litotes/Litote" .. it's one of those which is the same in French and English .. and seems appropriate for half the banter on this forum !

"In rhetoric, litotes is a figure of speech and form of verbal irony in which understatement is used to emphasise a point by stating a negative to further affirm a positive, often incorporating double negatives for effect "
Flippin heck , I'm completely lost now ?

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Flippin heck , I'm completely lost now ?
Speaking about the similarities of French and English.
After the Norman conquest all the language of authority became french and has largely remained so.
So, the sentence :-
The supreme political authority in Great Britain is parliament.
That would translate almost word for word into french.
Sentences such as :-
Have you seen the size of my wife's f**king arse are almost completely Anglo Saxon.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick

AAhhhh.. you mean taking the piss

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Very weird indeed! Same age as KenX, 63, and up till 10 years ago, lived in Serre Chevalier too! I think if these bikes had existed all those years ago I might have still been there? Been mtbing over 50years although in the '60;s it was called tracking. Normal bikes fitted with cowhorn handlebars were the only mods used then. I raced Moto x in the 80's so I've always enjoyed an adrenaline hit. Got into ebikes (Haibike) 4years ago when the going up began to get too tough and recently bought a Specialized Levo Comp with a view to do some racing. I just need to find an event that has an OAP class for the wife and me!

Small world yet again Chris eh :p

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I don't not like that explanation, but couldn't it maybe be a bit less obfuscatory?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Nearly 50. I sold my 6.5k santa Cruz bronson 4 weeks after buying the ebike for an uncomfortable loss, but I couldn't think of a single senario where I would have picked the Bronson over the kenevo for the riding I do.
Interested in what you got for it, cos mine is up for sale now, due to the purchase of a Turbo levo expert.

tp_reading

Jun 25, 2019
Berkshire
70 and 10 months. Always had a bike, but last few years I have struggled with the hills. Bought my Fathom E+2 Pro six months ago, ride it nearly every day. Doing the Palace to Palace on Sunday. 45 miles which I could never manage now on a clockwork bike.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
59, and just 8 weeks new to mtb’ing. My training for motocross these last 45 years has been running. I’ve decided to race less and picked up a Levo, wow what fun. I haven’t been to the track in a month. I even got a Stumpjumper to punish myself a couple rides per week, fun but not that much. ?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
58, used to be a "roady" with a few triathlons and 1/2 Ironman, got into mountain biking about 4 years ago, got my Focus Jam2 almost a year ago, done nearly 4000kms on it and have farmed out my road bikes and the Hard Tail mountain bikes are gathering dust in the shed

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
50 this month, mtb riding since late 20s, first full susser 4 years ago and replaced that with my current Remedy9 rsl 2 years back. Bought the Altitude Powerplay 3 months ago as my knees are on their way out (thanks Mum's side of the family...?), and to stop me having to use a car for work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles