Average e-biker age?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
47, been riding since the 80's, had a dozen or so bikes over the years. Had a Levo for a year, definitely the best investment ive made.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Aged 49
Riding a cycle without stabilisers aged 18 months (apparently)
Started riding motorbikes aged 4 (my Dad was a motorcycle trials champion)
Had a "cyclo-trials" bike when I was ~14, my parents wouldn't let me have a BMX!:(
Had my first proper MTB 27 yrs ago
Been riding an eBike for 10 months

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Nearly 50. I sold my 6.5k santa Cruz bronson 4 weeks after buying the ebike for an uncomfortable loss, but I couldn't think of a single senario where I would have picked the Bronson over the kenevo for the riding I do.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok I will answer as long as it does not result in a flood of junk mail for cruises, funeral plans (same thing really) equity release and will donations to charity! Im nearly 69. MTB has always been a no wind activity for me....ie not enough wind to go windsurfing.....that is until I bought my Levo last March. Now I ride much more often and for longer. My riding buddy kept his analogue bike but that only lasted a couple of weeks before he bought a Levo as well because every ride out with me was leaving him destroyed. The Emtb has added another dimension to my riding. As well as local trails in Wareham and Puddletown Forests we have also done camping trips to Cornwall, the Brecon Beacons and the Peak District this year to ride longer tours (25 miles plus) including The Gap and Cut Gate. Worth every penny.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
65, first serious off road injury at 6, face plant and 13 stitches in my tongue. Rode and raced rigid and hardtails till a couple of weeks ago and now on a Turbo levo 2020 and loving it. It's like winding the clock back.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
48, MTB rider for 5 years in Belgium. Got sent to the Balkans for work this year, found out that the terrain is slightly different here.

Did 62kms on Sunday with 1170m up and down. Would have died on my regular MTB (which I brought here in the first weeks and quickly realised my mistake).

Boy is an eMTB fun here. It will be such a let down once back in Belgium.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
43 and been riding since I can remember, BMX mainly. it's not so much the necessity for me as I still enjoy the fully manual experience as well and I'm still able bodied (fingers crossed), but as an aerospace engineer and gadget freak I am a massive sucker for new tech (my wife and bank account bare these scars :cool:). EMTB is evolution and just bloody good fun.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
43, feeling like 20 with all the eebing! Used to ride MX and MTB, packed both in 4 years ago to just ride eMTB and loving every minute of it! Also still somehow getting better as a rider which is a constant source of surprise since Im no spring chicken anymore!

IMG_6337.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
71 in a couple of weeks. I started in April this year but I had done some cross country mountain biking on a none e bike several years ago. The down hill rewards did not compensate for the uphill effort and this became worse as I got older so I packed in. I'm now loving the convenience of both the e bike and the parks that have sprung up all over the place. I'm also going to start rock climbing again after an 18 month layoff.

Al

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Like many above, have been riding mtb's for many a decade. Primarily used for fun, to maintain fitness levels in what was, my other more expensive, motorsport hobbies. Raced clockworks a few seasons back, to 'test' myself, however kids on carbon and wagon wheels, made me realise that perhaps, I should focus on the mental wellbeing of what cycling brings, more than chasing gongs. However everything is relative.
Other friends have ebikes, and they part destroyed me uphill on my analogue. So, a month ago, i bought my levo. I still ride the analogues, and have even dusted off the turbo trainer, for when my other commitments, don't allow for a 'proper' skid.

51 & 3/4 years young.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
Age 66. Use my bike as a “packhorse” for carrying fishing equipment (float tube) and camping gear into the hills. Used to do it by foot but those days are gone!

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
57 and had the emtb for about a year. I was the last in my riding group to get one - was forced to as either that or stop riding with my mates. Love it of course but my fitness has dropped - but maybe that’s just age?

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
I think i’m the youngest here, 23.
I started to ride mtb’s 6 years ago, mainly trail riding, some enduro races and a few park days, but recently i got a focus sam2 and i’ve ridden 1000km already, which was unheard off.
For me is a training game changer, i can do 18-20 laps in my local trail, where in the clockwork bike i averaged like 6.
So cheers guys, enjoy your bikes and don’t give a damn about what people may think. I’m definitely not lazy but is a stigma that won’t go out easily.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
43, ............ Im no spring chicken anymore!

What!!!!

What does that make the rest of us with 20+ years on you? I didn't even start mtb until I was 57! I sure have a lot of catching up to do and I'm running out of time! My senescence is advancing faster than my skills increase! :eek:

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
59,5 ! Just giving a contribution to up the average. Biking since I can remember and actually doing better on two wheels than on my feet.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
What!!!!

What does that make the rest of us with 20+ years on you? I didn't even start mtb until I was 57! I sure have a lot of catching up to do and I'm running out of time! My senescence is advancing faster than my skills increase! :eek:
"Senescence" Wonderful , thanks for the new word in my vocabulary ! I shall use it very soon. Unless my senescence make me forget

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
56 now, started mtbing at the age of 53, got emtb at 55?, forgot where I left it......only joking
ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN GOING TO THE GYM
Still got a clockwork, but will only use it with an uplift

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Turned in to the "new word of the day" thread apparently :)
Which word(in one swipe)would cover this condition ;
In the pub (on the sick from work and pissed) , because of the broken ribs which are preventing you from riding your bike because you fell off the flippin thing due to your own flippin incompetence ?

Senescence ? ??

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
In the pub (on the sick from work and pissed) , because of the broken ribs which are preventing you from riding your bike because you fell off the flippin thing due to your own flippin incompetence ?

That's ambition outweighing your talent, not senescence.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm 48 for the next 3 weeks and at the same time should hopefully get my first emtb ? riding mtb since about 1988 with a muddy fox courier ? had some lazy non riding times in between but finding an ebike is putting the fun back in to slogging up mountains here in the Lake District ⛰️???
First bike a Gary Fisher Hookooekoo at 30 years old so work that one out

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

Senescence ? ??
Teenager

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I’m 49 but I know that I'm fitter than the average 25 year old! 49 is just a number.

E-bikes are not cheap relatively so that is an Affordability issue for some I’m sure.

I also have a H2 SX motorbike and that’s another pastime that the average rider now is very old, due to cost.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles