Are they really that unreliable?

Dec 5, 2022
Brisbane
Hi all, have an EP8 with about 300km on it and this forum is scaring me to death. Story upon story of people on their third, fourth or fifth motors or likewise for the batteries.
Should I EXPECT that mine is going to fail sooner rather than later? I'm almost considering going back to an amish bike to avoid the headache.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Oh yeah, you're gonna die, too. The motor will explode and rip off your balls, any second now. Shimano motors are so shitty they have also been known to erase your PC's hard drive to eliminate any evidence that you bought one, and recalibrate your fridge's thermostat so that your ice cream melts. It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. Touching the battery will give you Dutch Elm Disease, and give your lady chlamydia. It will make a batch of methamphetamine in your bathtub while leaving bacon cooking on the stove and chasing the neighborhood schoolchildren with a snowblower. You are likely to find that it called your boss to leave libidinous messages in your own voice. It will phone threats against the prime minister and then leave a note on your door saying "you better shoot first!"

Dec 5, 2022
Brisbane
Oh yeah, you're gonna die, too. The motor will explode and rip off your balls, any second now. Shimano motors are so shitty they have also been known to erase your PC's hard drive to eliminate any evidence that you bought one, and recalibrate your fridge's thermostat so that your ice cream melts. It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. Touching the battery will give you Dutch Elm Disease, and give your lady chlamydia. It will make a batch of methamphetamine in your bathtub while leaving bacon cooking on the stove and chasing the neighborhood schoolchildren with a snowblower. You are likely to find that it called your boss to leave libidinous messages in your own voice. It will phone threats against the prime minister and then leave a note on your door saying "you better shoot first!"
No need to be an ass.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
No need to be an ass.

I suppose it's a fine line between "ass" and "comedy" (or comedy attempt). In my case, it was the latter. It's just a bike, not a dick, don't take it so hard.

Seriously though I recently bought a bike with an EP8. While shopping, I determined that ALL motors suck, and no matter what I buy, it would instantly catch fire and throw mechanical bits out the side. As Fat Rat said, you hear the complaints.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a e8000, zero problems.
I've got an EP8, same story.

I love the way they feel when riding, it is why I chose my first emtb.

What I don't like is the inability to service them and Shimano's crap reputation for customer service. After the e8000 (despite its faultless performance), I was going to vote with my wallet and get "anything but Shimano", but I made the mistake of riding a Merida eOne-Sixty 9000.

Remember, you ride the bike, not the motor.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Shimano's crap reputation for customer service.

Hey, @steve_sordy.
One needs to be wary of basing one's opinion on the rants of forum trolls. With that said, you probably shouldn't read any further, lest you be swayed by the nonsense that comes gushing forth from my keyboard.

A week and a half ago I was involved in a little mountain bike... incident. It was the sort of incident where if there was a video, I'd be a YouTube sensation able to quit my job and live the rest of my life raking in the royalties. But there was no video, and I don't have a job, so it doesn't matter. Besides a few new scratches, the only damage to the bike was a broken part on the EP8 system.

I was disappointed because I like my bikes to be 100% operational, and I've also read the sniveling about how Shimano is a terrible company. My plan was that I'd fabricate a new part if I couldn't fix the existing one. But first I'd try the usual sources.

A Google search turned up a couple vendors, but they were all out of stock with no indication of when there would be more.

LBS #1 told me that he didn't carry that part.

LBS #2 searched the Shimano ordering system, and the part wouldn't be available until some time in 2023.

The bike manufacturer said it's not a part they carry, but that I should reach out to Shimano.

I emailed Shimano, and TWENTY MINUTES LATER I received a reply saying that their goal was to keep me on my bike, and that they'd send me a replacement part at no charge. Within the hour, I received another email with a tracking number. The part was delivered the following day.

If we are to reach conclusions from this data set of one, then we must conclude that Shimano is the best bike company since the invention of bike companies. The only way they could have improved upon the service is if they had the part delivered by a bosomy blonde with pizza and beer... and a flat head.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Adding to the support thing, there must be *some* amount of veracity in general support issues with more than one, because several bike manufacturers make a point of telling you that they do direct support. My Intense bike has two years of direct warranty including the motor itself. But hearing the story above is very promising also.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This. I've barely tuned one of the profiles, and it's simply so intuitive in how it provides help.
It is highly recommended to experiment with the settings. I met a guy who was deeply disappointed with his Nukeproof bike which he said had no guts. I spent less than ten minutes with him to set up his mobile to connect to the bike and changed his "assistance character" to 8 out of 10 instead of the 4 it was on. I changed his "assistance start" from 2 out of 5 to max. The max power was already at max. That was in Trail. I left him to make all the other settings when he got home.
He could not believe the difference. I set up Profile One to how I like to ride in Trail, with max everything in Boost. Profile Two was my "get you home" setting.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hey, @steve_sordy.
One needs to be wary of basing one's opinion on the rants of forum trolls. With that said, you probably shouldn't read any further, lest you be swayed by the nonsense that comes gushing forth from my keyboard.

A week and a half ago I was involved in a little mountain bike... incident. It was the sort of incident where if there was a video, I'd be a YouTube sensation able to quit my job and live the rest of my life raking in the royalties. But there was no video, and I don't have a job, so it doesn't matter. Besides a few new scratches, the only damage to the bike was a broken part on the EP8 system.

I was disappointed because I like my bikes to be 100% operational, and I've also read the sniveling about how Shimano is a terrible company. My plan was that I'd fabricate a new part if I couldn't fix the existing one. But first I'd try the usual sources.

A Google search turned up a couple vendors, but they were all out of stock with no indication of when there would be more.

LBS #1 told me that he didn't carry that part.

LBS #2 searched the Shimano ordering system, and the part wouldn't be available until some time in 2023.

The bike manufacturer said it's not a part they carry, but that I should reach out to Shimano.

I emailed Shimano, and TWENTY MINUTES LATER I received a reply saying that their goal was to keep me on my bike, and that they'd send me a replacement part at no charge. Within the hour, I received another email with a tracking number. The part was delivered the following day.

If we are to reach conclusions from this data set of one, then we must conclude that Shimano is the best bike company since the invention of bike companies. The only way they could have improved upon the service is if they had the part delivered by a bosomy blonde with pizza and beer... and a flat head.
Thanks for that, very useful. Maybe Shimano has tired of the bad press on here and elsewhere and are finally doing something about it. Maybe the bike companies are pushing back?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
To the OP.

My experience with Shimano motors are X3.
My first Shimano was a e7000, I sold the bike to my Fiancée's son with 2500 faultless miles (it's still going strong).
My second & third bikes have e8000 motors.
One came up with e010 code the other week. Turned out to be a battery connection problem & not the motor as it was originally thought. This motor has just over 3500 miles.
My second e8000 has nearly faultless 3000 miles. I had it serviced just the oher week & had new drive bearings fitted as a matter of precaution, because they told me one was a little dry.
I personally cannot fault these motors. I have zero experience of Shimano's CS so I cannot comment.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I suppose it's a fine line between "ass" and "comedy" (or comedy attempt). In my case, it was the latter. It's just a bike, not a dick, don't take it so hard.

Seriously though I recently bought a bike with an EP8. While shopping, I determined that ALL motors suck, and no matter what I buy, it would instantly catch fire and throw mechanical bits out the side. As Fat Rat said, you hear the complaints.
Actually, I thought it was pretty funny and didn't see it as being an asshole.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
To the OP.

My experience with Shimano motors are X3.
My first Shimano was a e7000, I sold the bike to my Fiancée's son with 2500 faultless miles (it's still going strong).
My second & third bikes have e8000 motors.
One came up with e010 code the other week. Turned out to be a battery connection problem & not the motor as it was originally thought. This motor has just over 3500 miles.
My second e8000 has nearly faultless 3000 miles. I had it serviced just the oher week & had new drive bearings fitted as a matter of precaution, because they told me one was a little dry.
I personally cannot fault these motors. I have zero experience of Shimano's CS so I cannot comment.
Surprised anyone touched your motor as the Shimano is well known to brick so many service centres such as PLB won’t touch it…apart from Alex of course. Glad you’ve had a better time than others including myself.

imho all Ebike motors used in wet, muddy, sandy conditions will eventually go wrong it’s the support that matters…oh and how much you like the lump of iron the motor and battery are bolted too.

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
I have moaned on here before about my dead E8000 but I must give some praise to Madison the UK Shimano importer. My lbs is a Shimano service centre and they contacted Madison which resulted in me getting an assisted purchase for a new motor.
Ok it wasn't free but it was much cheaper than buying new especially considering the motor was nearly 4years old.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
I’ve gone from Bosch motor in a Trek Powerfly that literally rattled in bumpy terrain (which seems to be the contrary here) and due to known battery connection issue would sometimes in rooty, rocky sections cut off, but still it was a great motor, to now an EP8 in a Canyon Spectral. I have had zero complaints, zero issues; Over 1200 miles so far. When I first received the bike I stupidly broke the battery lock mechanism, completely my fault. Canyon support was mostly useless. Called Shimano and within days I received a new battery lock gratis. Value retail if you could find one was around $80 usd. So, I’m a happy Shimano e-motor owner.

As others have said, on most forums it’s ones with issues that speak up, I get it, but it skews perception. Those that are happy and have no issues rarely post how great it’s going. Human nature.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
My favourite motor of those I’ve tried from Mahle SL to Bosch (all generations since small CR) and E8000 for pure natural feel, ability to tune to your body and riding needs is the Spesh Brose mag 2.1/2.2 (Having ridden both versions).

Im a personal fan of “full fat “ so haven’t tried fazua ..TQ…etc

To me this motor although seen as unreliable is a super unit; matched to my (now) 29/29 Kenevo Turbo is simply amazing. I’m about 900 often wet muddy miles into the Brose and not a peep. Climbs tek like a champ and great range if needed. Down hill is let down by the lump riding it.

Its a personal choice as we have different experience, expectations and riding needs.

Perhaps also it’s the design of the bikes motor mount and covers that can better protect the electrical connections?

I do like that TQ state the IP rating of their motor. Maybe more should do this to give an idea of suitability for our riding conditions?

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Tengo dos EBike con E8000 y ningún problema con el motor

IMG_20221211_110733.jpg

Last edited:

CaptKirk

Feb 28, 2022
Port Huron, Michigan
Hi all, have an EP8 with about 300km on it and this forum is scaring me to death. Story upon story of people on their third, fourth or fifth motors or likewise for the batteries.
Should I EXPECT that mine is going to fail sooner rather than later? I'm almost considering going back to an amish bike to avoid the headache.
Hello personally don't like clowns, but its your choice not mine:) As to the E-Bike quality issue there are a couple caveats that owning an EMTB requires of someone. #1 Is buy a quality unit, and by that I mean something that you or someone you know understands. The drives I have dealt with for the last year are the Bafang BBSHD, and the (Luna X2/ Bafang M600). Well over 300 miles on each, and the BBSHD has only required a greasing of the main drive gear, while the M600 has required the entire "Final" gear assembly ($50) to be replaced at the 300+ mark. If you are going to purchase an EMTB and expect to fine tune the drive for "MAX" performance then yes your odds of letting the smoke out of the battery/motor is elevated.
But using the pedal assist drive as designed, keeping all connections clean and secure, staying OUT of water, only using a charger DESIGNED for your battery, NEVER doing anything with the wiring while the BATTERY is installed, and keeping your speed in the "I can control this" level will bless you with a form of entertainment that you will never regret. Lite up and Ride :)

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
1000 Miles on my E8000, 1000 Miles on my EP8RS, 600 Miles on my wife's EP8.

All Shimano, none derestricted but settings adjusted in the apps...

Seem to be OK. Mine get wet, no choice in UK.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Most of the water ingress is from careless washing with a hose or jet wash.
I was told this by the people that serviced my motor.
It rings true as I've ridden in heavy down pours & puddles many times on my commute, but I've always been careful with washing.
When they opened it up they said there was it was very good inside.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
Shimano EP8 is probably one of the most reliable eMTB Motors out there. Issues with EP8 systems are more related to batteries, battery connectors, wire harness and power buttons. All these components are bike manufacture specific.

And then we have the cranks (bike manufacture specific) that are not designed to be used with the motor.

Five replaced EP8 motors from the retailer you said? I bet the problem is not with the motors but related to some of the listed (bike manufactured specific)parts above in the end.

Brose Mag motors are for sure the most unreliable motors, but Specialized deals with the customers in a good way.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
I only have 600 miles on my EP8 but I try to treat it like a baby, bike is dry cleaned, no river crossings, dee daa dee daa. However I do worry as I don't have a money tree. As someone with an engineering background I've started thinking about what could happen when (if) the balloon goes up so just been playing on the computer. As you can hopefully see below there aren't VAST differences in motor shape between Shimano, Bosch CX and Brose so I reckon some enterprising bod, somewhere, sooner or later will start producing Bafang-type mounting plates to enable some swapping to be done should one motor become a real topper. Such a shame we hear about so many motor failures which don't always have a happy ending. For someone like myself who'll never be able to afford another eBike, something like this could save having to scrap an otherwise great bike. What do you think?

ShimBoschBrose.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I believe that it is more than just the motor that contributes to the experience. The wiring is specific and the software too. Maybe also the battery power delivery format.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
There will be those who are lucky and those like myself that are not. It seems those that post are the lucky ones ;-) Or those that bike ( lucky you) in drier climates than South Wales.

If you have an EP8 do not be tempted to use ST Unlocker as this will be picked up by Madison (UK) and they will not honour a warranty. If its a clean motor and genuinely goes after the two years you will li,Ely get a motor at a good price so that it like a shock service etc…

If you are doing 18000 km it isn’t in the territory I ride in ;-) …few fire roads just hand cut crud 6 months of the year, not even groomed and drained bike parks. To do 18,000km I’d need to be out 24/7 For a few years ;-)

Not many bottom brackets on mtb do 18k KM alone …I’d say most need to change every thousand or so. These motors do have axle bearings too and if water gets in it’s not long until they go.

I think it’s also down to frame and cover design …some perhaps protect the electrics better than others.

As above it’s not just the motor that maketh a bike however there’s enough choice to get the motor you want with the bike you want.

What I do like about Spesh is that they take responsibility for the motor as part of the bike rather than a “send it off to Madison “. I’ve had nothing but reliability over two winters now with Brose: Maybe I’m the only one here ?!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles