Are they really that unreliable?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
To the OP.

My experience with Shimano motors are X3.
My first Shimano was a e7000, I sold the bike to my Fiancée's son with 2500 faultless miles (it's still going strong).
My second & third bikes have e8000 motors.
One came up with e010 code the other week. Turned out to be a battery connection problem & not the motor as it was originally thought. This motor has just over 3500 miles.
My second e8000 has nearly faultless 3000 miles. I had it serviced just the oher week & had new drive bearings fitted as a matter of precaution, because they told me one was a little dry.
I personally cannot fault these motors. I have zero experience of Shimano's CS so I cannot comment.

May I ask where you got your E8000 serviced Monkey Dog?
I also live in Derbyshire so wondered if it was done locally/

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
May I ask where you got your E8000 serviced Monkey Dog?
I also live in Derbyshire so wondered if it was done locally/
Hey.
No it wasn't locally.
E-Motor Repairs in Cumbria.
You send them your motor fully tracked & insured.
It has whatever work is required & it's returned the same.
They're very good & helpful.
Search what they're called, they have a website.

I'll be sending them my other bikes motor soon for a service.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Hey.
No it wasn't locally.
E-Motor Repairs in Cumbria.
You send them your motor fully tracked & insured.
It has whatever work is required & it's returned the same.
They're very good & helpful.
Search what they're called, they have a website.

I'll be sending them my other bikes motor soon for a service.
Recommend Alex at Emotor repairs…he did what he could with my E8000 and helped with Madison. However as my unit in summer was full of water it was sadly a cold case job.

btw I never jetwash, am very careful etc. Think I was perhaps unlucky looking at other’s experiences…

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
My old bike did over 6000 mike's with no major issues with e8000 motor.

My new bike with ep8 motor that I got end of September with 700 miles need the motor replacing due to e01020 error.

Apparently a 3-6 month wait time on new motor at the moment, which bit really too happy about as bike is barely 4 months old. Seems an unreasonable amount of time to be without bike to allow them to repair or replace.

LBS said Madison only receiving 50motors a week from Shimano at the moment so if the wait time is 3 months that's 600 people waiting if the wait time is 6 months then 1200 people waiting.

Not sure how many ep8 bikes have sold in UK but if could find out maybe could roughly work out the failure rate.

Either way 6months is way to long for repair or replacement under warranty in my opinion

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My old bike did over 6000 mike's with no major issues with e8000 motor.

My new bike with ep8 motor that I got end of September with 700 miles need the motor replacing due to e01020 error.

Apparently a 3-6 month wait time on new motor at the moment, which bit really too happy about as bike is barely 4 months old. Seems an unreasonable amount of time to be without bike to allow them to repair or replace.

LBS said Madison only receiving 50motors a week from Shimano at the moment so if the wait time is 3 months that's 600 people waiting if the wait time is 6 months then 1200 people waiting.

Not sure how many ep8 bikes have sold in UK but if could find out maybe could roughly work out the failure rate.

Either way 6months is way to long for repair or replacement under warranty in my opinion
3-6 months for a 4 month old bike is ridiculous. Return the bike for a full refund but make sure everything is documented in emails in case you later need assistance from a solicitor. Do not be fobbed off.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
3-6 months for a 4 month old bike is ridiculous. Return the bike for a full refund but make sure everything is documented in emails in case you later need assistance from a solicitor. Do not be fobbed o have told the retailer that it's too long for me to be without a bike

3-6 months for a 4 month old bike is ridiculous. Return the bike for a full refund but make sure everything is documented in emails in case you later need assistance from a solicitor. Do not be fobbed off.
I agree with you, I have told the retailer that Shimano quoting 3-6months for repair/replacement motor is unreasonable and would like a quicker solution and am waiting for reply from warranty department. So hopefully they will be able to offer a quicker solution. 🤞

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My mate's waiting for a new motor for his Rise (EO10 error) after just 250 miles.
Has been told a six week wait but then, when he ordered the bike, he was told nine weeks to delivery, ended up being nine months.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
My mate's waiting for a new motor for his Rise (EO10 error) after just 250 miles.
Has been told a six week wait but then, when he ordered the bike, he was told nine weeks to delivery, ended up being nine months.
So he waits 9 months for bike rides it 250 miles. Now gonna have to wait months to ride again.

How are Shimano getting away with offering such a poor service

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles