ebike reliability study shows that Shimano Steps System is a total disaster

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here’s what I know from personal experience…
'........................................... and get a bike with a Shimano motor.
..............................have logged more than 1800, trouble free miles on it. Funny thing is, I think the EP-8 motor is quieter now, then it was when it was new. Time will tell, I guess.
Same here, it wasn't noisy before but it is quieter now. That, or I need a hearing loss appointment!

Ryuger

Jun 23, 2020
Australia
Interesting report. We actually make ebikes in Fukuoka Japan utilising only E8000 motors. One of our tests bikes has over 26,000kms. We haven't had any problems to date with any of the Shimano motors.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
bueno, por supuesto, nunca falló, ¡usted conduce en modo "APAGADO"!
[/CITA]
En off están tu neurona Screenshot_2022-01-30-10-33-22-543_com.shimano.etuberidemobile.droid.phone.jpg

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
i have 3700 miles on my e8000 commencal meta. the battery to bike connector of the mt e8010 cracked and shimano offers no spare parts for repair of an otherwise ok battery. so now i own 2 other batts. ive replaced the speed sensor once and the mode selector on the left perch twice. the motor itself seems fine. the lack of spare parts for a durable goods ....get out of here Shimano...man up behind your products. could you imagine a terminal on a car battery failing in 2 years and they tell you to shove it...well maybe but they are a world class outfit...or so they claim. i understand the polini motor is completely rebuildable..and they will send out parts.that is the way.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Part of your actual battery cracked?
If it was due to a manufacturing defect and within 2 years of purchase your countries Shimano distributor would have replaced it.
If it was broken from accidental damage. That would not be covered by any manufacturers Ebike batteries' warranty.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I work in data visualisation and they have some very creative and impressively bad charts in that report. Clearly designed to look pretty rather than allow a decent comparison of values. They break just about all of the guidelines for creating usable charts. Statista should know better!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles