That’s better

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’ve not been a great fan of the paddle shifters for the modes and when I saw japsuride had fitted the e6000 shifters I decided I had to do the same , so much easier when you want scroll through the modes on the move . I also found I was scratching up the display . My paddle shifter started playing up last week which made me do it sooner than later .
I run my brake lever quite a way in from the grip so it’s a little bit of a stretch to reach the buttons where I have them but not too bad , I tried them the other side but that interfered too much with the dropper button . Other droppers buttons especially under levers will work better than my integrated one here , Iam going to get the clamp to move it off the brake fitting .

The paddle shifter started sticking and not changing down the modes , a squirt of wd40 seemed to sort it , but after another dirty day out it began sticking again , the mechanism seems quite open to dirt ingress .
A1582783-6188-405B-8D35-AA339EFDF506.jpeg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Ergonomically the 1x shifter is better and easier to use. But I kind of like the old push button , so for now another £80 on the 1x lever can wait . It’s a bit of a stretch due to my position if the brake lever , but Generally the mode gets pre selected before you need it

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I’ve not been a great fan of the paddle shifters for the modes and when I saw japsuride had fitted the e6000 shifters I decided I had to do the same , so much easier when you want scroll through the modes on the move . I also found I was scratching up the display . My paddle shifter started playing up last week which made me do it sooner than later .
I run my brake lever quite a way in from the grip so it’s a little bit of a stretch to reach the buttons where I have them but not too bad , I tried them the other side but that interfered too much with the dropper button . Other droppers buttons especially under levers will work better than my integrated one here , Iam going to get the clamp to move it off the brake fitting .

The paddle shifter started sticking and not changing down the modes , a squirt of wd40 seemed to sort it , but after another dirty day out it began sticking again , the mechanism seems quite open to dirt ingress .
View attachment 1243
Was the E6000 swap, just a plug in afterall. Nothing else needed to be done?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Though the e6000 is slide on, not clamp on, so you will have to take off grips - the cable is short so you will have to put controller on before plugging it in, and i would recommend using the rubber cable holders that come with it, but again this will involve removing your brake levers too

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just looking for these and surprised wiggle or chain reaction don't have them.
Where are you guys getting them from.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
View attachment 1243

I had similar issues. Turned out I had the shifter jammed up against the brake which was putting tension on it causing it to bind. Just moved it a bit so nothing was touching and it’s been ok since.
Sounds like you are happy with the new controller so all is good??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interestingly MBR in this months issue have a review/article recommending that owners of Shimano bikes swap out the stock controller for the E6100 one as a top mod.

Wonder which Forum they have been reading!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I had similar issues. Turned out I had the shifter jammed up against the brake which was putting tension on it causing it to bind. Just moved it a bit so nothing was touching and it’s been ok since.
Sounds like you are happy with the new controller so all is good??
Interesting , makes me want to try it again . Iam not totally happy with the e6000 shifter , there’s a trade off with iether . The disadvantage with the buttons on the e6000 are they shift too easily and not easy to find when riding , so if you neeed to shift on a bumpy trail your likely to press the button more than once , this has resulted in switching drive off a few times as well as selecting boost when I didnt mean to . I really like having the display button on the shifter though it means you can easily look at the display features and select while riding . A lever seat dropper instead of the push button would integrate better with the e6000 buttons allowing a better position possibly . I have to say the jury is out as to which is best , if Iam riding bumpy difficult trails where mode section is key then I prefer the old shifter . However I guess most would say just leave it in trail but that doesn’t help when your trying the eek out the battery on longer rides .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting, i cant say that i have ever found that to be an issue, but i can see how the buttons being close together could cause that - Ian from Cycling made Easy had the new SW-E6010-L on his Sam 2 at the weekend, its a bit bigger but still doesn't get in way of dropper lever placement. I know some of the guys at Freeborn Bikes have fitted it on their bikes too - it has a more positive click to it, and the buttons are bigger so i would suspect worth a try?

SW-E6010-L.html
P-SW-E6010-L_zz_zz_zz_zz_zz_S1_750_750.jpeg

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That could well be the answer , it’s not just the close proximity of the buttons , it’s the light touch required , so even small trail chatter makes shifting very hit and miss .
I’ve now moved the dropper lever to the other side which is a little easier .
The other point that’s annoying is turning the bike upside down the e6000 shifter hits the ground first so it require care and a support Block under the bar grip .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Totally agree on the light touch - however looks like Shimanos new E7000 controller due out in a few months may well be the answer:

"A handy feature for mountain bikers is the design of the left hand side switch that allows a neat combination with a thumb-operated remote seatpost lever.
The E7000's display is connected via cable - It enables ANT and Bluetooth connectivity for external devices
This comes in a clamp band design, compatible with all mountain bike set ups including Shimano’s new i-Spec EV standard for an even neater cockpit. The feeling of the button has changed too, giving you a distinctive easy-operation click and tactile feedback that you can easily feel through winter gloves."

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xMy8xMzA3NC1rM3V6am1xMTRyN2stc3dfZTcwMDBfbF9sX3...jpg

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That looks interesting ,although it didn’t seem to have the third button for the display ? Its great that all the units have compatibility . shimano certainly aren’t slow with new development and they seem to look at what works well instead of just has visual appeal ,

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I always think Shimano focus on performance over aesthetics, agree that i don't think it has a button to scroll though display, which would be a shame.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I do like the positive operation of the original shifter it’s just a bit ‘chintzy’. Wonder if the XTR one is any better.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I always think Shimano focus on performance over aesthetics, agree that i don't think it has a button to scroll though display, which would be a shame.
It is a shame that third button is mostly my reason for changing in the first place , problem is on the e600 controller it’s too close to the main buttons , it needs a finger button on the other side so there’s no confusion , motorcycle controls are intuitive and sensibly positioned in general , would have a though they may have taken a leaf out of that design somewhere .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup, can you obtain one for "testing" from Eurobike!:cool:

The bike looks pretty tasty too, we have a Bergamont E-Ville in the family and it is one of the best put together/thought out bikes i have ever seen.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
The new E7000 controllers looks the go when they are available. Also Di2. Will allow better placement for seat dropper. Looks a bit fragile so may require a bit of care when flipping the bike over for maintenance.

Has anybody tried the shorter Miranda Delta SH cranks?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles