Fuel EXe Are stiff cranks normal on TQ motor?

PabloNZ

Mar 26, 2018
Wellington, New Zealand
I picked up a new Fuel exe a couple of weeks ago and after coming from a 2017 Turbo Levo FSR there's not much I miss but one thing that in my ignorance is unsettling me.

The issue is that the cranks are quite stiff compared to all the bikes I've ever ridden before. If i kick a pedal extremely hard it *might* spin 360 degrees but in general use I can't easily just bump the pedal to reset the position ready for me to go again.

It doesn't seem to exhibit any resistance when riding but it'd be great to know if it's typical of the TQ motor and nothing to worry about, or something I need to investigate further.

Cheers in advance.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
The issue is that the cranks are quite stiff compared to all the bikes I've ever ridden before. If i kick a pedal extremely hard it *might* spin 360 degrees but in general use I can't easily just bump the pedal to reset the position ready for me to go again.

I can't say I've noticed that on mine, feels pretty normal while riding. Have you tried removing the chain, or just dropping the chain off the chainring, to see if the resistance is coming from the motor vs the rear hub or derailleur?

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I think you may want to have your bike looked at, I haven’t noticed anything different on my Trek Fuel EXe versus my other bikes…

PabloNZ

Mar 26, 2018
Wellington, New Zealand
I can't say I've noticed that on mine, feels pretty normal while riding. Have you tried removing the chain, or just dropping the chain off the chainring, to see if the resistance is coming from the motor vs the rear hub or derailleur?
It's not stiff when in use but when I spin the cranks backwards to reset my pedal position. There's a squeak like it's from a seal as well that might just be normal for the TQ motor, or not. *shrug*

Bestak CZ

Dec 26, 2021
Czechia
Hello, I would try dripping some silicone oil or lube on the crank shaft where it goes into the motor. The resistance and sound is probably created by the simering rubbing against the crank axis. I had the same problem and this solved it.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
The squeaking you hear is not normal. Is something rubbing the cranks?

However, the speed at which you can backpedal is perfectly normal. Mine is the same way, the crank will not backpedal as freely as a non-e-bike with a normal bottom bracket. If it helps, I have both the 2023 Fuel EXe and the 2023 Fuel EX. The non-e-bike Fuel EX backpedals so freely that I hit my shin (ouch) once when I switched between bikes because I got used to the slower back pedal of the Fuel EXe.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles