Anyone using a regular 1Up rack with an ebike?

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
Hey y'all

I have the original (not XD) 1up rack connected to a 1 1/4” hitch (I have a small and old car which now costs less than the bike -- this is the way).

I've been transporting my Turbo Levo 22 on it (53lbs) even though the rack has a single bike limit of 50lbs. I talked to the folks at the LBS and they said it should be ok. The bike feels solid on the rack, but at highway speeds I notice some up/down bobbing in certain sections of the highway.

Is anyone else using a 1Up to transport their Ebike? This is a single bike model rack and seems beefy enough but all aluminum construction sometimes worries me a bit.

ipe

Jun 26, 2023
White Mountains
The bobbing is more due to the 1-1/4" hitch than the rack itself. There's not a lot to a 1-1/4" hitch. Try to figure out the tongue weight limit for your hitch. That's most likely the limit you're closest to and why you're getting bounce

I've got a 1up Equip'd single and an older SD Double. Both work great with my Rocky Powerplay. Even with them attached to a Kuat Pivot, no worries. I've got the 2" version and am mounting them in either a 2" hitch or a reduced down 2-1/2 hitch (1ups 1/2" reducer is awesomely simple and effective).

All that said, I've seen plenty of "rocket scientists" with four or more bikes attached to a strap and hook style double arm rack. Whatever your situation, it's got to be better than that!

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Original with 1 1/4 in 2" receiver with fitting. 2 of either Rocky Mountain Instinct, YT Decoy, or Orbea Rise. Haven't noticed any issues, 1up racks are well designed. Aluminum is pretty strong. I wouldn't worry.

Cheers.

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
The bobbing is more due to the 1-1/4" hitch than the rack itself. There's not a lot to a 1-1/4" hitch. Try to figure out the tongue weight limit for your hitch. That's most likely the limit you're closest to and why you're getting bounce
I think you're correct here. I was suspicious of the hitch itself, since steel has way more flex than the massive aluminum hitch coupler in the rack. BTW, I have a Hidden Hitch 60958, which has a tongue weight of 200Lbs, so I should be below 50% capacity on that.

This reminds me, I need to check the torque on the hitch receiver bolts...

Thanks!

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Hey y'all

I have the original (not XD) 1up rack connected to a 1 1/4” hitch (I have a small and old car which now costs less than the bike -- this is the way).

I've been transporting my Turbo Levo 22 on it (53lbs) even though the rack has a single bike limit of 50lbs. I talked to the folks at the LBS and they said it should be ok. The bike feels solid on the rack, but at highway speeds I notice some up/down bobbing in certain sections of the highway.

Is anyone else using a 1Up to transport their Ebike? This is a single bike model rack and seems beefy enough but all aluminum construction sometimes worries me a bit.
Not any help now, but something to consider if you (or others) get a vehicle with a 2” receiver. I had the same problem with my quick rack and found out I could replace just the hitch bar for the 2” version from the super duty (US $105). It’s much more stable now. What’s ridiculous is I called them to confirm fitment, and the guy said the quick rack isn’t rated for a 50 lb bike, no matter how much I insisted it says so on the website. Grrrr

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Hey y'all

I’ve been using my own 1Up rack (1-1/4”) with ebike for couple years with no problems. Gone on couple 300+ mile trips with no worries.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I’m using the original 1UP as well, had it for ~11 years, and I have had no issues transporting my e-bikes (decoy, rise, Voima).

With two on it I do drive a little more carefully with respect to speed through rough sections of road.

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
I think we have a suspect! :unsure::eek:
Re-checked everything and it's all fine. Those are 10.9 grade bolts (M18, I think) with 100 lb/ft torque. In one of them, the locking nut is clearly not up to the torque (a bit "smashed"). I'll replace it with a new one and re-torque that bolt.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I've been carrying my Levo with an old 1-Up 1 1/4" rack for a while. I'm not sure I would go far or fast with 2 ebikes. I also use bike rack support straps (Curt 18050) that make me feel better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles