Levo Gen 2 Anyone uipdgrade SRAM 11spd shifter?

onabike

Aug 21, 2019
San Diego, CA
I've got a 19' Expert with 11spd. I don't want or need to go 12spd but do want to improve the shifting performance which is not quite quick or crisp. Shift cable is fresh. The stock shifter is a SRAM emtb specific model, yet not marked as a GX/X01, etc, so I figure it's not the greatest and it lacks paddle position adjustability. I'm sure a higher model shifter would improve things, but I can't find one anywhere for sale X01 11-speed Trigger Shifter | Single Click | SL-X01-PA-A1 | SRAM

And save the keystrokes, not interested in going AXS... yet

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not really
SRAM 11 speed X01 shifter doesn't shift any more quickly than GX.
if you want faster shifts lose the wide range cassette and wind your B-tension right in.

If it's any consolation massive 12 speed cassettes shift gear even more slowly

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I went with the X01 shifter to get the adjustable lever because I have limited thumb mobility (it had to be reattached many years ago). There was no change in shifting performance.

onabike

Aug 21, 2019
San Diego, CA
I went with the X01 shifter to get the adjustable lever because I have limited thumb mobility (it had to be reattached many years ago). There was no change in shifting performance.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll replace the housing and see if that helps... and start saving for AXS, fingers crossed that a GX level option comes out this year

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
ASX doesn't shift any quicker either.
It's the large jumps between gears, lower top jockey position and shifting ramp pattern on the cassettes that delays the shift.
See my previous reply if super fast shifting is important to you.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Not really
SRAM 11 speed X01 shifter doesn't shift any more quickly than GX.
if you want faster shifts lose the wide range cassette and wind your B-tension right in.

If it's any consolation massive 12 speed cassettes shift gear even more slowly

EMTB shifter is crap .
SX / NX grade . Can only shift one gear at a time . Upgraded SRAM shifters have a more refined feel . Can adjust the long lever position too .

Even a GX is a better feel than the EMTB branded shifter .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I didn't mention any EMTB branded shifter Rosey. So I'm not sure why you even quoted me. Well.. I say unsure ?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
ASX doesn't shift any quicker either.
It's the large jumps between gears, lower top jockey position and shifting ramp pattern on the cassettes that delays the shift.
See my previous reply if super fast shifting is important to you.

Yes it does. Have you used it? It's not quicker going into smaller gears obviously, as it's no different than a regular derailleur, but going to larger gears is quicker given the solenoid can move faster than your thumb. That being said you're not wrong in that it's tuned to a certain speed because the drivetrain can only respond so quickly.

I've got a 19' Expert with 11spd. I don't want or need to go 12spd but do want to improve the shifting performance which is not quite quick or crisp. Shift cable is fresh. The stock shifter is a SRAM emtb specific model, yet not marked as a GX/X01, etc, so I figure it's not the greatest and it lacks paddle position adjustability. I'm sure a higher model shifter would improve things, but I can't find one anywhere for sale X01 11-speed Trigger Shifter | Single Click | SL-X01-PA-A1 | SRAM

And save the keystrokes, not interested in going AXS... yet

Recall that the S Works Levo also came with XX1 single-click shifter. I tried to order one (X01 or XX1, I didn't care) through various outlets including my LBS but was not able to do it.

With that being said, I don't think changing your shifter is going to do anything. Shift performance mainly has to do with the Chain and Cassette. The stock chain is a generic KMC. If you haven't replaced it, you might try a SRAM chain. Others on this forum swear by using Shimano chains and cassettes for smoother shifting (yes I mean Shimano chain and cassette with Sram shifter and derailleur).

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I didn't mention any EMTB branded shifter Rosey. So I'm not sure why you even quoted me. Well.. I say unsure ?

Wasn`t talking to you Warren .

I was referring to the OP ; The stock shifter is a SRAM emtb specific model, yet not marked as a GX/X01, etc, so I figure it's not the greatest and it lacks paddle position adjustability.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Grip shift 11 speed is the only one that I have found faster and I have to use it because of a thumb injury in the past which the paddles really aggravate. I know, I know, many people won't consider gripshift. The X01 emtb paddle shifter that came on my S works model shifted slowly as well (Absolutely the same speed as the GX that was on my previous e bike) and was immediately removed of course because of the thumb.
I don't know why you want faster shifting but my trails are on volcanic terrain with constant up-and-down, no flow trails whatsoever, thus my need quicker shifting. I have found gripshift is exquisitely fast, and you can dump or go up a bunch of gears at once, but, as you probably know, you must learn to ease up on the pedals when you do this. That took me time to become an ingrained habit but then after that it was fine.
I have never broken a chain and I'm still riding the original chain that came with my 2020 Levo I bought in October 2019 (it's warm where I live & ride year-round 5x/wk, so lots of riding in the meantime, I think around 1200 miles) with minimal wear so far measuring in the .25 to .5 range on the chain checker tool. Have to watch that section of the chain with the quick link though because that link stretches sooner than the chain links proper I have found. I'm on my third or fourth quick link. Anyway if you will consider gripshift you'll get what you want. Oh, and I didn't buy the XX1 grip shifter, just the cheapo $69 one which works just as well as the XX1 that I had previously.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
If you want crisper shifting you need to upgrade the RD. The differences between levels in Sram have significantly tighter tolerances as you move up the line. I have the full line of them in my garage from NX to XX1 including AXS.

Easiest thing to do though is upgrade to 11 spd XT. I bought a shifter, RD and cassette for less than $300 from CRC. Fits the traditional hub body so you don't have to upgrade to an XD driver as well.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Not sure if that is correct @Salespunk since my 2020 S Works levo came with XX1 rear derailleur and shifter and was just as slow shifting gears as the GX shifter and rear derailer on my earlier 2018 Comp Levo. Also found the GX shifting to be just as crisp as XX1.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles