Anyone removed the Trek Rail Battery Lock?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
are we going to get 30 people interested in these brackets so @Rob Rides EMTB CNC contact can make them for us at £30 a pop?

I would be intrested if he puts up a design first as i reckon the bottom part needs to be thicker to allow for a good thread interface
Im not personally intrested in rivy nuts as ive seen them slip to often and that would be a pitta to remove then .

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Unlikely. They are very aware of the issue and have not said anything about an update. My LBS called them just a few days ago and all Trek said was look at the new fitment procedure etc, nothing about any potential fix.

the aftermarket solution appears to be the best.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

So there are only 8 people interested so far.

I saw a post on FB, I think from the original designer, where the bracket had been thickened by adding another piece of aluminum and only using one bolt. The thicker section looked to be at least 20mm thicker, hence a longer bolt through the frame and a much stronger connection. ( I cant find the picture, I will keep trying to find it)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Found it!

8B7DD496-5E58-4BC0-9B5C-3D87B51E5483.jpeg
6C8C7AE5-A007-40BE-BAAB-1D683D838160.jpeg

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
So there are only 8 people interested so far.

I saw a post on FB, I think from the original designer, where the bracket had been thickened by adding another piece of aluminum and only using one bolt. The thicker section looked to be at least 20mm thicker, hence a longer bolt through the frame and a much stronger connection. ( I cant find the picture, I will keep trying to find it)
will you be able to ship it into europe? (slovakia for me) and how much will it cost with all fees/postage-asking if it is revelant to do it on my own or wait dor cnc solution.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
no idea mate. I'm simply getting a lit of interested parties to see if we can reach 20 people. if we can, it will then be for @Rob Rides EMTB to discuss with his contact about production / costs / shipping etc

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I really should get off my arse and just make one. It looks super simple. Albeit I’d worry about the longevity of the thread in the alloy. So maybe a carbon fibre version with a glued nut maybe a better option. Either way if someone makes them I’m in

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I like to be able to easily remove the battery (to knock four to five kg off the bike's weight when loading into the back of my car) but I do stress about not having the key to hand.

Is it possible to adapt/destroy the lock barrel so that it can be operated by a screw-driver or similar? Car thieves seem to find it quire easy.

Apologies if this idea is a nonsense or has already been discussed.

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
As I was whipping up a prototype today I noticed that none of the previously presented versions include a recess for the cables, the factory lock mechanism has a recess and I noticed a flat plate squashes the cables upon tightening, so if you’re going to have one cnc machined then I’d recommend this addition 👍

C0752D0F-90E4-4DF7-8EC4-090F84D87A1F.jpeg F632ACCD-77D4-4680-A6B7-099414DEC821.jpeg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
As I was whipping up a prototype today I noticed that none of the previously presented versions include a recess for the cables, the factory lock mechanism has a recess and I noticed a flat plate squashes the cables upon tightening, so if you’re going to have one cnc machined then I’d recommend this addition 👍

View attachment 99530 View attachment 99531

Do you want to make 13 of them?

Last edited:

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Di you want to make 13 of them?

Possibly, there would be a few things to hash out though:
firstly I’m in Australia so logistically it may mean sending over the entire batch and having someone distribute them locally.
Secondly I agree with Fox’s earlier point regarding the thickness of material where the threaded holes are, so we could use a 6mm angle, which may eat into some of the weight savings, or (what my final design will likely be) 3mm battery interface plate welded to 8mm plate where both versions would have a recess for cables.
My prototype is 11mm thick as I was just using scrap I had at hand, but I didn’t do this for weight saving, I’m about to start transporting my bike on the out side of my vehicle and don’t like these stories about battery’s falling out, even though it never has.
Thirdly is everyone happy that if it fits my ‘21 rail 7 that it will fit as well on your own bike?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
firstly I’m in Australia so logistically it may mean sending over the entire batch and having someone distribute them locally.
not a problem, I can do this.
Secondly I agree with Fox’s earlier point regarding the thickness of material where the threaded holes are, so we could use a 6mm angle, which may eat into some of the weight savings, or (what my final design will likely be) 3mm battery interface plate welded to 8mm plate where both versions would have a recess for cables.
your prototype looks great, maybe 3mm battery plate and 6mm welded plate? I am sure the group would give their input on this.
Thirdly is everyone happy that if it fits my ‘21 rail 7 that it will fit as well on your own bike?
I could not say for sure, maybe @Rob Rides EMTB or others will know? I suppose if the bracket is for bikes with the 750 battery, then it would fit all Rails that have this battery?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Some wouldn't need the cable entry as the cables are run above on newer ones (mine is)
Weight saving for me isn't the point but more the fixed battery instead of the lock and no need for a key to remove
So a slightly burley base plate with decent thread interface would be more preferable for me anyway .

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
But it would still fit even with the cable entry, so no need to make different versions?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’m up for buying one still chaps. Anything to get rid of the crappy system that’s fitted factory. Presuming this would negate the need for the crappy alloy ‘rib’ that seems to force poor fitment of my battery into the frame

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles