• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Anyone received their Speedbox 1.2B (Bosch rim magnet version) yet?

dlowe

Sep 25, 2023
Australia
They updated the app to v2.16, now it works fine
yep, 100% connecting fine over bluetooth.
Now just to figure out where to place the magnet simulator without a kiox display to confirm connectivity. Trial and error time

-----
Tried the flow app, and I can't get a reading above zero.

Last edited:

FlobossX

Jan 30, 2024
West Virginia
Now just to figure out where to place the magnet simulator without a kiox display to confirm connectivity. Trial and error time

-----
When I initially installed mine, I had some issues getting a reading on the flow app. Speed wouldn’t register on the flow side to be more specific. It was fine on the SpeedBox app however. Ended up unplugging connections and reconnecting, the flow app started registering speed. Pretty sure the connection was fine, but potentially could have been a loose connection. Or maybe the reconnection did something.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen

-----
Yes mine connects too, I know some were placing in the centre so over the join, but i didnt have room so put mine up against the centre on the right hand side, directly above the crank

Ejnewman

Feb 9, 2024
UK
I got my 1.2b last week for my pathlite ON 5.

I rode for about an hour with max speed set to 35kph and activated tuning in the app before the ride. Let the bike turn itself off after the ride to allow for countdown, charged, turned it back on to ride again and got an error.

My magnet sensor isn’t on the crank side or on the seam. Perhaps that’s the issue?

Limp mode for 20 miles in the cold rain isn’t much fun.

IMG_0888.png

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen

I rode for about an hour with max speed set to 35kph and activated tuning in the app before the ride. Let the bike turn itself off after the ride to allow for countdown, charged, turned it back on to ride again and got an error.

My magnet sensor isn’t on the crank side or on the seam. Perhaps that’s the issue?

View attachment 134104
Where did you locate the sensor ? Did you change wheel size ?

Ejnewman

Feb 9, 2024
UK
Where did you locate the sensor ? Did you change wheel size ?
I put the sensor on the rear side of the motor, in the middle but not on the crank side or on the seam.

I am talking to speedbox about that and they said as long as I’m getting a speed reading (which I am), the position is ok.

Yes I’ve set the largest wheel circumference that I can in the flow app. Which is 86.4inch.

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
O

View attachment 134104

Ouchhhh that's the worst possible error to receive from a 400Euro product!

Ejnewman

Feb 9, 2024
UK
O

Ouchhhh that's the worst possible error to receive from a 400Euro product!
Yep.

It seems to be working again after a couple of short rides today. I’ll just be super careful to activate/deactivate only when static and allow the countdown. I thought I did that, but maybe I wasn’t careful enough with it.

Will do a few more slightly longer rides and see how I get on. If it happens again, I’ll ask for a refund.

FlobossX

Jan 30, 2024
West Virginia
Got a “Error 63000c” yesterday. “The switch of your battery is being pressed continuously” I can’t 100% say I know it’s from the speed box, but this bike has less than 40 miles on it. The Bosch system seemed to be in a continuous state of reset. Motor would not propel the bike… Tried multiple resets, pulled out the system controller, tried to see if something was sticking there. Pulled out the speed box, re assembled. Problem still persisted.
Ended up reaching up in the frame and unplugging the battery for about an hour, (short duration resets weren’t working) then reassembled. The error code went away after this. Plugged the speed box back in, went through the setup process., this time the flow app wouldn’t pick up the speed. Mph stayed at zero. Had this same problem when I initially installed, but remedied with unplugging the connectors on the speed box and reconnecting. No matter what I did this time, I couldn’t get the speed to register on the flow app. (Speed registered on speedbox app)

Currently the speed box is removed and everything on the Bosch side is working again. Again I’m not saying 100% the speedbox caused the issue, but wanted to put this out there in case someone else runs into this.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Seen a post on Orbea group in FB listing the parts for conversion to a rotor magnet, orbea are authorising Bosch dealers to change the software for a mullet setup. That and a standard Volspeed sounds like a cheaper and more reliable option

Ejnewman

Feb 9, 2024
UK
Seen a post on Orbea group in FB listing the parts for conversion to a rotor magnet, orbea are authorising Bosch dealers to change the software for a mullet setup. That and a standard Volspeed sounds like a cheaper and more reliable option
I’ll have a look at this. But I’m considering returning the speedbox and selling the bike and getting a Yamaha motor instead. I’m not happy with the potential of going limp mode again, and I am not a fan of the countdown. Not ideal especially if you don’t have a Kiox display.

Seems a volspeed with a Yamaha motor will be more stable. Plus you get correct speed reading.

Karlos Fandango

Feb 6, 2024
UK
Fitted mine the other day but app wouldn’t work and rim magnet simulator wouldn’t detect signal.

Got it working today but as soon as I go over standard speed limiter it throws a speed sensor error. I’ve tried it loads of times this afternoon always the same problem.

I’ll give e-bike tuner 1 more chance to sort it failing that it’s going back for a refund.

Wasted 4 hours of my life so far I ain’t wasting much more.

dlowe

Sep 25, 2023
Australia
Mine has now been removed too. Kept receiving alerts for speed sensor/magnet missing.
Couldn't get the flow app to register speed.
Speedbox app would show speed.
To activate (without a kiox) I would press ---+++. No idea if it actually activates or not..... then, try - then it cuts out and turns orange.

20240215_142814.jpg

FRANK56

Nov 5, 2023
Sardegna, Italia
I’ve decided to return it and sell my bike. I’ll be buying a Yamaha powered ebike and a volspeed I think.
What software version do you have in your engine? It could be that your speedbox is not updated to the latest software version. However it is a terrible product, not worth the money it costs

Ejnewman

Feb 9, 2024
UK
I checked with Speedbox directly. They were very helpful, all software versions both on the Bosch and on the Speedbox app are fine. I just think it’s not worth it, as you say. The lack of room for the gps alarm, the annoying countdown, the limp mode errors… just not worth it.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
WOW, that 524001 error is crazy. I think we all knew Bosch could detect derestricting but to actually have codes for manipulation...

With the latest smart system firmware out this week, I'm sure these de-restricting companies like speedbox will never be able to stay ahead for long.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I hate hearing these horror stories about tuning devices being defeated by some smartass in IT back at the company HQ...LOL! This morning I'm installing a VOLspeed-4 on my Gen 2 Trek Rail. Obviously it's not the Smart system, so hopefully I won't have issues. VOLspeed tells you their product won't work on the Smart system...maybe they know something...or not. I hope Speedbox can get it worked out, but Bosch in particular seems somewhat bent on defeating these devices. I hate my Rail starting to die as I approach 16 mph. I mean, c'mon.:mad:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I rode my gen 2 Rail 7 today with the new VOLspeed-4 installed, and it was perfect. I set the speed to 25mph point something, and it did just what I wanted it to do. I wasn't sure how the "dynamic mode" stuff would work out, but it was a really smooth transition from no pedal to off pedal power delivery on our fairly challenging trail. What I loved about the tuning element was that it didn't introduce some crazy speed or overrun issues in the operation of the unit. I think VOLspeed knows you can only go so far with the manipulation of the Bosch motor before you start getting error codes. So, at this point I'm totally stoked on this device.

Mike72

Feb 6, 2024
Vosselaar
I bought the fucking bike through leasing, so 2 more years with a shit 25km/h bike i cant derestrict atm.
I will never ever buy a bosch again. Someone should just make a circuit board for it and run the hardware from that, get lost with the original board. must be possible i think. i dont need all that fancy smart shit. i just need 35 km/h

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
See my post above about getting a rotor magnet and getting a dealer to change the software to run a mullet setup. Then you can get a Volspeed chip

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
See my post above about getting a rotor magnet and getting a dealer to change the software to run a mullet setup. Then you can get a Volspeed chip
Now that's interesting. If that works that would be pretty cool. Also OP, what about the option in this link that sounds like it supposedly is able to fool the Smart System with this device? No, I don't know all the details about it, but if it can fool the software without going into the motor, it sounds logical. Anyone out there who can confirm or refute anything about this device?

Muff1tt

Jun 10, 2022
Wakefield
It's my post. Here's the link below, can also confirm now running peartune mso and no errors

DOMBUSH

Aug 10, 2020
Cambridge
What chance do you think of getting a non-Orbea motor software updated. With my rim-magnet Canyon, I feel like I've bought the wrong bike.

Interested to hear from even more people about their Speedbox 1.2B experience.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
What chance do you think of getting a non-Orbea motor software updated. With my rim-magnet Canyon, I feel like I've bought the wrong bike.

Interested to hear from even more people about their Speedbox 1.2B experience.
You can only try the process. Start with a competent Bosch dealer. It's down to canyon as to whether they approve the change or not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles