Anyone have any tips for Tennis Elbow recovery?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I currently have it in one arm (the 'elbow' in the name is misleading really because it's actually damage to the tendon in the forearm near the elbow and its proper name is lateral epicondylitis), this time I've caused it by trauma by falling off my trials bike and just happening to whack that part of the tendon on a log. I've had it before once in each arm and both times it took almost exactly 12 months of no riding and trying not to use the arm at work or at home at all to heal on its own 😭

12 months is a long time to not use your arm and not ride any bikes so wondering if anyone here has had it and has any recovery tips I'd like to hear them. I have every colour Theraband Flexbar and do the exercises 3 times a day as recommended and in the past couple of months managed to go from the weakest one to almost the strongest one with no pain but I must have done something recently to hurt it again so I've set myself back to the weakest one again 😭

I did go to physio but after having the initial assessment and actually getting the first appointment it had pretty much healed itself so no sessions were needed.

I've already been all over YouTube and other than the Theraband Flexbar exercises and some stretches there doesn't really seem to be any other info on recovery.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Amputation ?

Mine came on from over compensating trying to do things with a fractured collar bone/shoulder.

For 12 months I've significantly reduced riding. Tried all sorts. Ultimately I'm still none the wiser if doing or not doing made any difference. Everyone I've spoken to who's had similar has said that one day they just noticed it wasn't there.

No idea if it was connected or not but I had several osteopath sessions and acupuncture but finally it doesn't hurt all the time. Though after one session it hurt more for 2 weeks. I can still feel it slightly when I do too much with that arm.

Weirdly, hanging/ dips seem to relieve it for me most of the time. But each and every circumstance can be different.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Amputation ?

Mine came on from over compensating trying to do things with a fractured collar bone/shoulder.

For 12 months I've significantly reduced riding. Tried all sorts. Ultimately I'm still none the wiser if doing or not doing made any difference. Everyone I've spoken to who's had similar has said that one day they just noticed it wasn't there.

No idea if it was connected or not but I had several osteopath sessions and acupuncture but finally it doesn't hurt all the time. Though after one session it hurt more for 2 weeks. I can still feel it slightly when I do too much with that arm.

Weirdly, hanging/ dips seem to relieve it for me most of the time. But each and every circumstance can be different.
I might look into acupuncture then.

bigthermalboy

Oct 11, 2022
Perth
I currently have it in one arm (the 'elbow' in the name is misleading really because it's actually damage to the tendon in the forearm near the elbow and its proper name is lateral epicondylitis), this time I've caused it by trauma by falling off my trials bike and just happening to whack that part of the tendon on a log. I've had it before once in each arm and both times it took almost exactly 12 months of no riding and trying not to use the arm at work or at home at all to heal on its own 😭

12 months is a long time to not use your arm and not ride any bikes so wondering if anyone here has had it and has any recovery tips I'd like to hear them. I have every colour Theraband Flexbar and do the exercises 3 times a day as recommended and in the past couple of months managed to go from the weakest one to almost the strongest one with no pain but I must have done something recently to hurt it again so I've set myself back to the weakest one again 😭

I did go to physio but after having the initial assessment and actually getting the first appointment it had pretty much healed itself so no sessions were needed.

I've already been all over YouTube and other than the Theraband Flexbar exercises and some stretches there doesn't really seem to be any other info on recovery.
For me, it took months .. acupuncture, tens machine in conjunction of elbow brace on the bad days worked for me.
At times I used deep heat and voltaren. I still rode "Lite" and did weights (not recommended). lol

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Have you thought of trying CBD oil ?
The legal off the shelf stuff ( full spectrum)..
Not sure about curing ..but it certainly managed the pain in my knee until it healed ( also with the help of a couple of cortisone injections from the GP .)
I've stopped using it now the knee is OK.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Not sure about curing ..but it certainly managed the pain in my knee until it healed ( also with the help of a couple of injections from the GP .
Trouble I've found with tennis elbow is that masking the pain just makes it worse because the key to it healings is simply not using it and straining the tendon, if I mask the pain I can use it but I have no idea when I'm actually doing damage to it.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Trouble I've found with tennis elbow is that masking the pain just makes it worse because the key to it healings is simply not using it and straining the tendon, if I mask the pain I can use it but I have no idea when I'm actually doing damage to it.
Yeah ..I understand .
TBF ..I used to play a lot of squash and suffered with tennis elbow ..it didn't really stop me playing ( my knees did !) ..it was only when I stopped playing altogether that the condition went away ..so long term rest is probably the only cure ( as you already know )

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Yeah ..I understand .
TBF ..I used to play a lot of squash and suffered with tennis elbow ..it didn't really stop me playing ( my knees did !) ..it was only when I stopped playing altogether that the condition went away ..so long term rest is probably the only cure ( as you already know )
That seems to be the general consensus among the masses but I can't help wondering what treatment I'd get if I was sponsered by Redbull 🤣 I know there's no magic wand but they wouldn't want their athletes not being able to perform for 12 months or so. Any such treatment would probably be out of my price range anyway unfortunately 😭

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

I've had lateral epicondylitis several times in my life. I've seen doctors and chiropractors, and they all say the same thing: inflammation, ibuprofen, rest, armbands, blah, blah, blah.

Allow me to digress for a bit. I had another condition where the regular doctors couldn't help. I was willing to try anything, so at the advice of a friend, I went to her acupuncturist. When I went in to see him, I could tell he was displeased with my condition, but he said, "I'll make you better." Within one day, I was 90% better. I was blown away. I continue to see him because his philosophy is that it's better to maintain health than to try and fix things after they go awry. It's exactly like maintaining a bike.

Let's get back to tennis elbow. My elbow had been hurting for the better part of a year. It was the result of a spastic move on the bike--and it hurt. The Western Doctors' solution was the same old story, so I was just waiting for it to get better. It didn't seem to be.

Then one day I went into the acupuncturist's office for my regular visit. He always asks how I'm doing, and I told him fine... but my elbow has been hurting for quite a while. He looked at it and said, "I'll make you better." He did the usual thing where I lay there in my underwear and he sticks me full of pins, but this time he stuck pins in my elbow. Afterwards, he had a chunk of buffalo horn that he rubbed on my elbow REALLY hard. I'm a grizzled old mountain bike rider, so if I tell you it hurt, you can be sure that it REALLY hurt. The next day? 90% better. Again, I was blown away.

It's hard to recommend you go to an acupuncturist just as it is hard to recommend you go to a bike mechanic. Some mechanics will have your bike running like Remy's. Another mechanic might strip the threads of your shock mounts, tear up your fork seals, and have your bike squealing like Lady Gaga.

I'd type more, but I have an appointment in half an hour. You know where I'm going? The acupuncturist.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Both i and my wife had tendonitis in the elbow from climbing.

We did 5 weekly sessions of wave shock therapy and it fixed completely.

I did the same for my Achilles tendon and a wrist tendon, cured completely

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Not sure about curing ..but it certainly managed the pain in my knee until it healed ( also with the help of a couple of cortisone injections from the GP .)
The cbd balm is good for general aches 👍

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you impacted a log in an "off" isn't more likely the affected tissue is bruised rather than torn.....which is the more usual tendon injury? I can only sugest the process I have used for various muscle and tendon injuries......no idea if this is medically correct...but it has worked for me!
Depending on the severy of the contusion and/or tissue tear, and depending on your age, it actually does not take long to reduce inflammation and for tissue to heal. what takes a lot longer is the a bility of the muscle or tendon to stretch/flex as it used to. My experience has been that the longer you leave it until until you start to use the muscle or tendon, the longer it takes to get it back to full operation. So my process has been to allow a fairly short period of time for healing ( 1 or 2 weeks) and use intially anti inflammatory creams then heat/ice alternatively. Using the muscle or tendon means treading a path between re-injury and stretching etc to regain full function. I work on the basis that re injury is less likely.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I've had lateral epicondylitis several times in my life. I've seen doctors and chiropractors, and they all say the same thing: inflammation, ibuprofen, rest, armbands, blah, blah, blah.

Allow me to digress for a bit. I had another condition where the regular doctors couldn't help. I was willing to try anything, so at the advice of a friend, I went to her acupuncturist. When I went in to see him, I could tell he was displeased with my condition, but he said, "I'll make you better." Within one day, I was 90% better. I was blown away. I continue to see him because his philosophy is that it's better to maintain health than to try and fix things after they go awry. It's exactly like maintaining a bike.

Let's get back to tennis elbow. My elbow had been hurting for the better part of a year. It was the result of a spastic move on the bike--and it hurt. The Western Doctors' solution was the same old story, so I was just waiting for it to get better. It didn't seem to be.

Then one day I went into the acupuncturist's office for my regular visit. He always asks how I'm doing, and I told him fine... but my elbow has been hurting for quite a while. He looked at it and said, "I'll make you better." He did the usual thing where I lay there in my underwear and he sticks me full of pins, but this time he stuck pins in my elbow. Afterwards, he had a chunk of buffalo horn that he rubbed on my elbow REALLY hard. I'm a grizzled old mountain bike rider, so if I tell you it hurt, you can be sure that it REALLY hurt. The next day? 90% better. Again, I was blown away.

It's hard to recommend you go to an acupuncturist just as it is hard to recommend you go to a bike mechanic. Some mechanics will have your bike running like Remy's. Another mechanic might strip the threads of your shock mounts, tear up your fork seals, and have your bike squealing like Lady Gaga.

I'd type more, but I have an appointment in half an hour. You know where I'm going? The acupuncturist.
Thank you, will read that in the morning as I have to go out now, appreciate the info.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Both i and my wife had tendonitis in the elbow from climbing.

We did 5 weekly sessions of wave shock therapy and it fixed completely.

I did the same for my Achilles tendon and a wrist tendon, cured completely
Interesting, thank you.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
If you impacted a log in an "off" isn't more likely the affected tissue is bruised rather than torn.....which is the more usual tendon injury? I can only sugest the process I have used for various muscle and tendon injuries......no idea if this is medically correct...but it has worked for me!
Depending on the severy of the contusion and/or tissue tear, and depending on your age, it actually does not take long to reduce inflammation and for tissue to heal. what takes a lot longer is the a bility of the muscle or tendon to stretch/flex as it used to. My experience has been that the longer you leave it until until you start to use the muscle or tendon, the longer it takes to get it back to full operation. So my process has been to allow a fairly short period of time for healing ( 1 or 2 weeks) and use intially anti inflammatory creams then heat/ice alternatively. Using the muscle or tendon means treading a path between re-injury and stretching etc to regain full function. I work on the basis that re injury is less likely.
Thank you I'll read that in the morning as I previously just said I have to go out now for the evening, appreciate the info.

Appreciate the info from everyone here 👍🏻

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Nearly thirty years a heating engineer I got tennis elbow too, I went to the doctor and she injected it with steroids, I’ve never had any pain in it since, that was ten’ish years ago, might be worth a try 😉

rdvb

Jan 12, 2022
New Zealand
May I share my experience with this tennis elbow and how I was able to heal myself in an unusual way. I got it from riding - more from trying to learn to turn my handlebar towards my right while at the lip of the jump. Bad timing and bad technique I reckon. Several attempts later, I cannot even rotate or bend my right arm or pick stuffs without pain around the elbow. Did the usual exercises, some Panadol tablets, hot shower on the right elbow, but it only help to relieve some of the pain. Until few sessions playing badminton did I feel much much fine that I'd say I'm healed. I guess that some movements - pronation I think - playing it helped my elbow. Not suggesting it, but this was what worked for me.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I vary my treatment depending on what causes it. There is a lot to be said for seeing a sports medicine dr who is experienced in ALL the options - one who does accupuncture, dry needling, plasma products, ultrasound and shock therapy, as well as having access to in house physio. They will use different approaches in different situations . If you can't find this mythical creature, at least try to find a clinic that offers all this in house - call me a cynic , but that reduces the chance of you getting the wrong treatment simply because that's what pays the bills....

For me, If it's from a sudden injury , I rest for a few days then get it moving - GENTLE stretches , simple pain relief eg paracetamol -but NOT anti inflammatories ( long story - whilst they help in the first week they seem to delay long term healing) . If it's getting worse with that approach it's worth imaging eg ultrasound or mri to clarify the type of injury and approach- that's the stage I'd be talking with a sports medicine dr

If it's from a day of doing something stupid, like riding with the bars badly adjusted , and I'm certain it's the muscle being angry rather than an insertion injury , I add magnesium supplements for 2/3 days. It's a completely irrational approach, but in me it seems to help my muscles recover / relax.

If it's from something triggering my immune system eg a flare in my arthritis or an infection in my body ,THEN I use anti inflammatories. Mostly because everything else hurts and I need sleep. - without sleep, pain gets worse and I clench overnight which doesn't help! . If it hasn't settled within a few weeks, I decide between acupuncture or dry needling / shock wave therapy. Acupuncture if I'm stressed ( clenching overnight makes it worse). Dry needling if I think I can cope with it getting worse for a few days. Shock wave therapy if I can't decide ( it seems to be slower than dry needling but less likely to have the 2/3 day flare up) . Around here, plasma products are logistically challenging so I don't bother.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK

That's really interesting, I'll definitely look into acupuncture then as ite been mentioned a few times.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Nearly thirty years a heating engineer I got tennis elbow too, I went to the doctor and she injected it with steroids, I’ve never had any pain in it since, that was ten’ish years ago, might be worth a try 😉
I did actually try that a few years back when I had it in my other arm but for me it made zero difference unfortunately.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
May I share my experience with this tennis elbow and how I was able to heal myself in an unusual way. I got it from riding - more from trying to learn to turn my handlebar towards my right while at the lip of the jump. Bad timing and bad technique I reckon. Several attempts later, I cannot even rotate or bend my right arm or pick stuffs without pain around the elbow. Did the usual exercises, some Panadol tablets, hot shower on the right elbow, but it only help to relieve some of the pain. Until few sessions playing badminton did I feel much much fine that I'd say I'm healed. I guess that some movements - pronation I think - playing it helped my elbow. Not suggesting it, but this was what worked for me.
Haha that's weird, I think the There and Flexbars I have do the same thing as I believe they are also pronation exercises.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I was initially hoping the same thing as it was caused by a whack but I forgot to mention that I did it back in June so if it was bruising then it would have been better now. I think you're right about the fine line between using it and damaging it further, I do still use it at work but I'm very careful that I don't use it enough to cause pain and that's also the whole logic behind the Theraband Flexbars as you are supposed to use the ones that don't cause pain and only when you can do the days exercise with no pain you move on to the next strength level bar so I'm definitely keeping that up too.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
🤔 I'm one those people who walk around my house and garden bare foot all the time anyway which has probably done me more bad than good because I have a hedgerow at the end of my garden that's likes to chuck lots of spikey things all over the grass 🤬
You can get grounding bands that you put on areas that are injured. In your case it would be useful. I swear by grounding and since doing it every day for hours at home using a matt my recovery from sport and injuries has massively increased.

Actually my whole family do it as we've seen lots of benefits.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
You can get grounding bands that you put on areas that are injured. In your case it would be useful. I swear by grounding and since doing it every day for hours at home using a matt my recovery from sport and injuries has massively increased.

Actually my whole family do it as we've seen lots of benefits.

Interesting, I'll gen up on that then.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles