Does anyone have any tips for oiling EMTB chains etc?

Optimusmiles

Feb 8, 2020
Dorset UK
As above, does anyone have any tips?
I went to lube my chain up and then realised I couldn’t backpedal.
(new to emtb)
Ended up lifting the bike off the ground with one hand and lubing with the other while the GF engaged walk mode. There must be an easier way! I’ll buy a stand when I can. Thanks

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
(new to emtb)
Ended up lifting the bike off the ground with one hand and lubing with the other while the GF engaged walk mode. There must be an easier way! I’ll buy a stand when I can. Thanks

But assuming you want to stay with messy oil... someone will come along and tell you to put an alan key into one of the bolts on the front chain ring which will then block against the crank arm and allow you to turn the chain ring backwards. HOWEVER, as I discovered, don't try this on a Bosch Gen 4 motor because there is nothing to stick the end of the alan key into! Instead, use a velcro strap or a (reusable) cable tie to fasten the crank arm to the chain ring spider. This will allow you to turn the crank backwards.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I also turn upside down and put in highest gear so chains closer , then winter wet lube summer dry wax each link to be sure of a good covering then wipe with my oily rag both sides (don’t need lube on the edges) and any spillage . Should really leave to soak in but lastminute.com is the usual scenario !

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Last longer with Finish Line

1587433245827.jpeg

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
If I have to flip my bike over I use two pieces of wood for the ends of the handlebars to rest on (therefore keeping the controls from touching the ground) and a small mat for the seat. Or I do it on the lawn.

Neither is great, will be getting a bike stand soon.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
And so just what is wrong in using a velcro strap to fasten the crank arm to the chain ring spider? A hell of a lot easier than trying to tip the bike upside down without scratching anything, surely?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have had a bike stand for so long that I never realised that not being able to back pedal whilst lubing was a thing. Once it's on the stand I just turn the pedals the normal way.

I'll see you and raise you: I have two stands because it's impossible to hang a tandem in just one... :ROFLMAO:

You'll find the reason for having a strap or cable tie to hand one day when you are out in the woods and get something stuck in between your chain and chain ring. Of course, you can always turn the bike upside down in the mud and wreck your display and saddle - unless you're carrying your handlebar jacks and seat mat... :unsure:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll see you and raise you: I have two stands because it's impossible to hang a tandem in just one... :ROFLMAO:

You'll find the reason for having a strap or cable tie to hand one day when you are out in the woods and get something stuck in between your chain and chain ring. Of course, you can always turn the bike upside down in the mud and wreck your display and saddle - unless you're carrying your handlebar jacks and seat mat... :unsure:
I have hung my bike from a tree before now when I needed to re-set the gear shifting.
Otherwise I use a handy riding buddy. They soon get fed up.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

Pretty sure no one is going to flip their bike mid rid in the mud just to lube the chain, jeez!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Pretty sure no one is going to flip their bike mid rid in the mud just to lube the chain, jeez!

Who said anything about lubing the chain? Try reading my original post which says:

"when you are out in the woods and get something stuck in between your chain and chain ring. "

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Who said anything about lubing the chain? Try reading my original post which says:

"when you are out in the woods and get something stuck in between your chain and chain ring. "
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by this. I've had chain stuck between chainrings, but never any problem with something between the chain and chainring.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by this. I've had chain stuck between chainrings, but never any problem with something between the chain and chainring.

We ride a lot in local forest. The Atlantic winds (the infamous Levante and Poniente) bring down a lot of debris which gets chucked up by the wheels into the drive train. Clogged derailleurs are a regular occurance. But we get the occasional bit of debris leaping into the main chain ring and locking the whole thing solid. It gets stuck in the chain and wraps around behind the chain ring as well. It's a bastard to remove. Usually a very pliable branch of something with thorns (everything here has thorns!). Doesn't happen often, but when it does it's usually on the night rides when it's harder to spot the debris, and even harder to see to remove it.

[Edit: Point to bear in mind: 2x systems make it so much easier to chomp crap from the front wheel and feed it into the chain ring. We have a lot of Haibikes in the village with the Yamaha motor and 2x chain ring]

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

Well if you'd stick on topic and not post random rubbish about an event that has probably happened twice in the history of MTB we could follow what you mean!

This thread is titled:
Does anyone have any tips for oiling EMTB chains etc?

NOT: Does anyone have any tips for getting sticks out of my Chain/Chainring!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Er, I just I just walk the bike backwards and forwards, doing the chain in 4-5 sections. Really, it’s just a rough wax top up, because every 6 rides or so the chain goes in the rice cooker for another wax bath. Best idea ever.
Sounds like an awful lot of work to me.

Hellfirejack

Mar 28, 2020
WA
(new to emtb)

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
put a allen key in chain ring so u can back pedal , but these days i use paraffin wax and cook my chains every few weeks breaking bad style

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles