Does anyone have any tips for oiling EMTB chains etc?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
If u have a delicate set of controls such as sw e8000l, get two.pieces of wood and flip the bike onto.the grips.perfectly perched on the wood 2x4 s ...much superior to.a bike stand if traveling. Don't forget that a bike stand clamping a seat post can also ruin the seat post so.nothing is risk free. I ruined one sec e8000 l flipping my bike. But if safely upside down its way way easier to clean, dry and relube than even upright. Unless u go to the next step and totally remove the chain to soak etc. Don't remove the chain unless u buy the property tool to release the quick link. U may be under the illusion it's unnecessary but again u r wrong...never ever hesitate to buy tools if u aren't running down to the shop for everything.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I have a Purion display, so I don't want to turn mine upside down, I have the wrong sort of cranks to fit those frame lifts into, so I bought one of these, from eBay for £12. I can pedal both ways!
IMG_20200424_155259636_HDR.jpg

Reactions: iXi

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I'm getting 750 miles out of a chain and cassette, when I lube I use a lube that came in a spray bottle with a finger pump, (don't lube your brake rotor tends to reduce stopping power) but mostly lube to improve shifting, E Bikes eat chains and cassettes, having an extra 3/4 of a horse power seems to stretch chains, imagine?

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm currently trying Squirt chain wax having thoroughly degreased and cleaned/dried the chain as per the product guidance. Can't comment on chain wear as early days but certainly quieter and keeps chain cleaner. After rides just dry brush chain/cassette/ring to remove any excess wax/dirt and re-apply if required. I use a bike stand and either rotate cranks forwards or use the rear wheel to rotate backwards. Using a stick/allen key/toe strap etc. to tie to crank arm to the spider is a good idea when the bike is on the ground.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
1. The upside down holder pictures is a perfect home item. I love it...esp next to what I'm doing while sheltering in place

2. Yes I know the quick link chain tool isn't usually necessary ...until the day u try to pop the chain or reassemble one that has super excessive wear and it doesn't happen...that day may never happen if you frequently take the chain off and replace early...but it happened to me...that's why I own the tube...but hey go spent your 5k on the bike and skip the $20 tool...sounds good to me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles