Anyone found a way to carry a spare battery - not in an EVOC backpack

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Are we talking 2018 battery or a 2019 one?

There is no real way to carry a 2019 battery on the bike or on your back without a large bag

I have seen someone have it strapped sideways to their lower back, not good in a crash and could clip trees etc..

Ive seen a 2018 battery strapped to the downside of the down tube, presume you could do this with a 2019 also but both would be prone to damage, could rub on the frame and be hit by the wheel if the fork goes through a deep compression

The only option if you want it on the bike securely is a Trail Watts Booster battery, they do a 252wh one (around £500) which fits in the bottle cage and they have a box one (504wh, costs around £800 i think) which bolts into the frame's front triangle

Other than that its a large bag on your back, i had a 2018 battery in a bag on my back and i did feel it the next day after a ride so went for a trail watts bottle battery instead

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Are we talking 2018 battery or a 2019 one?

There is no real way to carry a 2019 battery on the bike or on your back without a large bag

I have seen someone have it strapped sideways to their lower back, not good in a crash and could clip trees etc..

Ive seen a 2018 battery strapped to the downside of the down tube, presume you could do this with a 2019 also but both would be prone to damage, could rub on the frame and be hit by the wheel if the fork goes through a deep compression

The only option if you want it on the bike securely is a Trail Watts Booster battery, they do a 252wh one (around £500) which fits in the bottle cage and they have a box one (504wh, costs around £800 i think) which bolts into the frame's front triangle

Other than that its a large bag on your back, i had a 2018 battery in a bag on my back and i did feel it the next day after a ride so went for a trail watts bottle battery instead

yea its a 19 mate, ive thought of the downtube but I think its likely the battery will be damaged.

I think the only answer is to make something, probably starting with a back protector and simply sewing on a battery carrier

Paul Chance

Jul 14, 2019
Solihull
96B4068F-C69C-4FE6-A199-1F8C57A75792.jpeg

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I bought the Evoc pack and even with modifying the battery holder the 2019 700wh would barely fit. I had to take off the rock guard and then really stretch the pack to get the battery in. It might work but would be really hard on the bag and zipper.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
Rob did a video squeezing one in an evoc bag, but he took the guard off :

1:20

Wonder if you could just get something like this and strap it or sew it to your pack ?

www.amazon.co.uk/USA-Gear-Adjustable-Professional-Accessories/dp/B009KUKZ3I/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1UOSSOHDUX5T8&keywords=telescope+case&qid=1576172848&sprefix=telescope+ca%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-6

Like I said, it fits but it will be hard on the pack. Its stretching the zipper and the bottom. I mounted mine straight up ant down with the Velcro piece. I did not want to run the battery sideways.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
My bag doesn't like it very much. You can see the stitching is already being tested. This wouldn't last long. It would work but not very well.

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'm thinking of using one of these for the Old ghost Road in NZ (80k) - Osprey Talon 44 in large. It's long and has a floating top so a Levo battery should fit and i'd pack sleeping bag and clothes around it as protection. Still quite a big load to carry, so plan B is to get the spare battery helicoptered into the overnight hut, along with the beers of course.
1576172502595.jpeg

Gassa158

Oct 25, 2019
Mid wales
Evoc is big and bulky yeah but apart from trailwatts systems for specialized that go on ya frame it’s one of safest packs! Good protection! Ya not gonna wanna av a off without protection with massive battery next to ya spine ? big battery=big backpack ??

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I would just use my Stumpjumper for that

Explain please? What sort of rides do you use an ebike for? A lot of our trails climb 1000ft vert every mile. Then we get long rides across the tops of the mountains. Yes, these rides are easy for some people, but not most. Why not use an ebike and just carry another battery and do 10k-12k vert and 60 miles? Ive been doing these rides for the last 20 years on a regular bike and now that Im older (almost 50) the ebike is so much more fun. The last 4 years Ive been on a fat bike.

jwwl.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles