Any manufacturers still using Shimano External batteries?

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Looking around I see less brands using external batteries, not unexpected but surprised even budget brands/models moving to internal.

I bought a Vitus emtb full sus with the external battery on the downtube and had planned to pick up a hardtail/hybrid to commute and potentially loan its battery to the full sus on the weekend, but its an almost impossible ask it would seem. Anyone point out some options available in the UK i may have missed?

Whyte Clifton,
Genesis smithfield,
Ridgeback X2,

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd have thought hybrids would be the ONE Ebike genre to continue using external batteries.

It's sad that almost every Emtb now is an absolute tank with a massive downtube and poor weight distribution. For performance and practicality External batteries are on the whole still the better option for Emtb. 😢

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haven't checked recently but I think commencal still do an EXT battery hardtail

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thok/Ducati

1646321306354.png

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I'd have thought hybrids would be the ONE Ebike genre to continue using external batteries.

It's sad that almost every Emtb now is an absolute tank with a massive downtube and poor weight distribution. For performance and practicality External batteries are on the whole still the better option for Emtb. 😢

Im specifically looking for a Shimano powered bike, thankfully external battery hybrids are still popular, but Bosch seem to have the market cornered (which is good, but not for me).

I agree on the emtb issues tho, even if only for ease of use the removable battery is beneficial. Charge or store your battery elsewhere to the bike for safety or conveniance, and taking a chunk of weight off make them easier to transport.

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK
Hi, we have 2022 Hardtail Thok in stock with Shimano motor and external battery. Cannot post the spec publicly due to embargo from Thok until Tuesday but please contact me via www.tekmotiv.co.uk webchat and I can send you a pdf with all the details. Top quality Italian bikes with great geo. We also stock the full suspension models

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles