External Battery Charging at Cafes?

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
Other than self shuttling, one of the main reasons for getting an ebike was for big days out in the hills / mountains.
So a second 625wh battery was purchased along with a fast charger. My thinking being I could plan routes with lunch stops and rest breaks at cafes and pubs along the way asking if I could recharge my battery whilst I ate.
Has anyone any first hand experience of how accommodating business owners are to this?
I will be riding all over the UK so have no specific areas in mind.

I figure the small cost of electric would easily be offset against the cost my trade, revenue they would otherwise lose.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Ask nicely.

Don't assume your panini and latte cover the cost, or the *perceived* cost. Cafe owners don't know how much juice you are using for that massive battery. Just point out it will be about the same as a laptop and can i make a donation to the charity jar on the counter. Chuck in a pound and everyone's happy, including the local Air Ambulance fund.

My top tip is Costa. Yeah, only in towns but I pass several on some of the long distance routes i ride (e.g. Bath to Bournemouth). Their cafes are designed with *loads* of sockets to keep the laptop users happy, and the staff don't bat an eyelid...

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Interesting, but slightly different, my buddies and I visited Llandegla and after the first loop asked if they could accommodate a quick charge, they were happy to do so if we donated a couple of quid to their charity box. Coed-y-Brennin on the other hand refused outright. they even hire and sell bikes but flatly refused. I was (naively) thinking that these centres would soon be accommodating charge points (for a fee) but alas they’re not.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I guess at an actual cycle center the cafe could be inundated by people looking to use their few spare sockets. Can i have a go now. Hers has been charging for 20 minutes already. No that's my charger, that one there. Etc. Easier to say 'no' and focus on delivering the carrot cake and cappuccino.

Ideally cycle centers should have a few sockets in the car park for us to use, if they want to encourage ebike use.

Side note: I really wish all EV car charge points had a 3 pin socket too, but it's really rare to find.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles