Any issues with the Cannondale Monterra LT 2018?

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
Hi. I'm considering buying this bike. The issues I see are the lack of plus sized tyres and the Borsh Performance CX as I hear its got some drag. How bad is it?
Thanks for any advice

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The lack of plus size tyres is not an issue, EMTB's don't need plus size tyres and you will see that a lot of brands are moving away from them now on newer bikes. Its a question of personal preference.

What are you interested int he bike? Good deal on it?

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I currently ride a canondale trigger 140mm. I need a bit bigger to smooth out some brutal rides. I like the factory shock and fork and the looks have grown on me in the yellow. I can get it at £3500 interest free which seems like incredible value compared to the other bikes I can afford

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
A lot of my favourite tracks are very rocky. I always imagined that plus tyres would provide more protection for my wheels. I don't really ride anything smooth and maintained. I'm not really worried about the motor drag now. I thought it was dragging when the bike was freewheeling. It doesn't so that's one less thing to worry about.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would say the critical thing then is the casing on the tyres more than the size. one of the benefits of plus tyres is supposedly being able to run lower pressures, and get more grip, but with that comes opening up yourself to damaging the rims, hence the popularity of tire inserts. Thats a good price for the bike, and i like the way Cannondale mount the Bosch motor at an angle to enable them to get shorter chain stays than most Bosch Bikes.

The new 2019 version has just been released

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I've not had much luck with rocks and plus tyres; I've killed 3 different types in the Lakes. I'm now running 2.5 (approx 2.6 on wide rims) DH tyres.

The lockring on my friends keeps coming loose; currently with the LBS.

Make sure the Bosch motor has the latest firmware (emtb mode).

Last edited:

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
Thanks. I smashed 2 sets of wheels pretty quickly after going tubeless. My mates all told me about these wonderful low pressures you can run. These low pressures came with dinged rims! I now run 28psi front and 30psi on the rear. Not had an issue since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles